Online distribution success stories?

Hi everyone!

I've just finished my low budget (£700) romantic comedy that I shot in 7 days then took 2 years to complete in post!! I'm cutting the trailer and working on the poster now.

My question is, has anyone out there turned a decent profit from distributing online? When I say decent profit, I'm talking over $10,000... After working as long as I have on this project, a few hundred dollars isn't going to excite me, but I do know times are tough.

I'm looking at all my options for distribution.

Thanks

Win

Word of mouth means what people say after they've seen it. Pre-release buzz is something different -- and it won't carry you far beyond initial release.

You're splitting hairs. A huckster can hype up a bad film via word-of-mouth even after its released. Loglines and poster concepts (brand) is critical for bad films as well.

When a movie falls off after initial release, it's not because the marketing failed, it's because the movie wasn't good.

Very few people here are going to have a conventional release for their films (theatres).

I'm not saying marketing doesn't matter, of course it does, but you present it as a binary, and I'm calling BS on that -- eventually you have show some substance in your work, and the road will be a lot easier if you do it sooner rather than later.

Unless you're trying to get it into festivals or sell the film to distributors, substance is secondary to marketing. Of course the road is easier if you have a great film, too, but remember the title of this thread: Online success stories. Making a great film doesn't translate into a success story. Great marketing might.

---------------------

Bird said:
I prefer to subscribe to the notion that my audience's intelligence should be respected.

If that were true, Hollywood on its knees and indie filmmakers would be ruling the world.

Sadly though, we're all here grasping for a piece of a very thin piece of pie.

Last edited:
If anyone can show an example of a good or decent feature film with clear saleability factor being executed competently that did not see any sort of monetary success... please... point me to a trailer or the feature itself.

Critera?

- Believable acting
- Decent cinematography
- not a straight drama or straight comedy (saleability)

You're splitting hairs. A huckster can hype up a bad film via word-of-mouth even after its released. Loglines and poster concepts (brand) is critical for bad films as well.

V.

I'm not splitting hairs. I'm using a term, "word of mouth", and attaching it's normal, widely accepted definition and basing an argument on it. You're taking the same terms and inventing your own, pretzelled definition to suit a cynical claim that only marketing matters. You're adding to the hole you've dug yourself in by claiming that hucksters can control word of mouth after a film is released. That's nonsense. Hucksters cannot turn water to wine. If a person doesn't like a film, they're going to communicate that reaction to people in their social circle and no amount of huckstering can change that -- this is true now more than ever with the power of social media which creates an echo chamber.

With regards to these socalled great movies stagnating in indie purgatory and not earning, I'll wager all of them, assuming they even exist, have marginal concepts that might be well executed. For example, I once read a compelling script about two boys with cancer. No amount of huckstering would get me into a theater to see that were it produced -- regardless of how fine the writing, acting, and technical aspects might be. Critics and filmmakers often love this kind of stuff because it's gripping, but I'm like most people, I don't want to see it.

Hucksters cannot turn water to wine. If a person doesn't like a film, they're going to communicate that reaction to people in their social circle and no amount of huckstering can change that -- this is true now more than ever with the power of social media which creates an echo chamber.

Yes... and..
With regards to these socalled great movies stagnating in indie purgatory and not earning, I'll wager all of them, assuming they even exist, have marginal concepts that might be well executed. For example, I once read a compelling script about two boys with cancer. No amount of huckstering would get me into a theater to see that were it produced -- regardless of how fine the writing, acting, and technical aspects might be. Critics and filmmakers often love this kind of stuff because it's gripping, but I'm like most people, I don't want to see it.

Yes. I can agree with that. Those are the dramas and comedies (rom-com included) that I'm talkin' about. yeah, they probably ARE great movies... you just can't get anyone into seats or in front of televisions without a name.

I know of a filmmaker who's actually pretty vocal about his work, and he'll answer questions in public on his budgets, how he went from 250K to 1.5M and now 3M budgets in a matter of three years, and he knows the kinda work he does. They are straight to dvd overseas features with explosions and such, but they star guys like Michael Jai White and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

He said "I can't make that other kind of movie, this is the one I can make and sustain a lifestyle on."

The other kind of movie being festival accolade winners etc.

Last edited:
Unless you're trying to get it into festivals or sell the film to distributors, substance is secondary to marketing..

Okay, you're changing your tune now. You said earlier marketing is all that matters.

I don't know if it's secondary or not, I don't see how one can make such a categorical statement because I think it varies from one film to the next.

Hi Win,

Did you get the information you were looking for in this thread yet?

Hi everyone!

I've just finished my low budget (£700) romantic comedy that I shot in 7 days then took 2 years to complete in post!! I'm cutting the trailer and working on the poster now.

My question is, has anyone out there turned a decent profit from distributing online? When I say decent profit, I'm talking over $10,000... After working as long as I have on this project, a few hundred dollars isn't going to excite me, but I do know times are tough.

I'm looking at all my options for distribution.

Thanks

Win

Speaking for ourselves, my wife and I would be DELIGHTED to make back even a
fraction of what we have put into our (filmmaking) HOBBY. We have made eight feature
films (average budget $2500 each), and our total YEARLY sales average about $15 per
title... We love to make films, but it is certainly not a moneymaker...and it's DEFINITELY
a hobby. If we were in it for the money, we'd try woodworking.
Our films: http://etheridgeproductions.scriptmania.com

I'm not saying marketing isn't important, but I am saying that the product is just as important as marketing.
And I get the impression that’s what all of us are saying.

This thread sure got contentious but I think all of us (even
Guerilla and finderskeepers) agree that having a good product
is just as important as marketing. I also think even you will
agree that with excellent marketing (and a “name” actor) a
not very good movie can have some success.

I love that you are seeing more and more success in self distribution.
And the fact that you see more success than failure is encouraging.

You could get away with murder if you create a feature aimed at a demo that'll pay for anything that's oriented in what they like.
I know the Christian and Family market is rising and since very few
of those types of film end up in theaters they find success in on line
distribution. A friend of mine has had great success with erotic gay
thrillers - another genre not represented in the theaters so the only
place for these seems to be via self distribution.

If anyone can show an example of a good or decent feature film with clear saleability factor being executed competently that did not see any sort of monetary success... please... point me to a trailer or the feature itself.
I’ve been tempted but I know only too well that it’s easy to get shut
down based on personal tastes and opinion. I spent the last three
days at the AFM and I go to 15 or so film festivals each year. I have
seen many movies that are “good” and meet your criteria (in my
opinion) that never see any success.

Well shucks Kholi...I'm honored to be mentioned here. :) Regardless of the post on the finance stuff, it feels good for people to know that if it was successful (and it was) that I did bust my rear to get it there. I made a ton of mistakes as well (more then I care to count) but the movie was blessed in the end to be distributed.

One correction though. It wasn't just distributed online, it was released on DVD in the CBA market which is the Christian sector. So it's in Christian Bookstores around the US and I did make distribution deals for DVD with over a dozen other foreign countries. South Africa believe it or not is where it's done the best in foreign sectors.

I've recently signed the films Worldwide TV rights and VOD rights to a company called FilmBuff who's recently worked with Ed Burns on his film Nice Guy Johnny. We'll see how the film does this holiday season. *fingers crossed*

Also I didn't tell you how I exactly got that many fans, but you might find this article useful in at least helping you figure it out. I try to dump as much info as I can...it's a pretty long article.

Facebook Marketing: The Key To Independent Film Marketing?
http://workbookproject.com/newbreed...keting-the-key-to-independent-film-marketing/

Kinda embarassed you found this thread Kyle. Lol. Sorry man. You know ive been impressed with what you've done. Seriously. You're one of the cases I brag about often.

That's why It's dangerous to post on forums though!

Thanks for dropping by and sharing. I guess I just want people to be inspired man.

I’ve been tempted but I know only too well that it’s easy to get shut
down based on personal tastes and opinion. I spent the last three
days at the AFM and I go to 15 or so film festivals each year. I have
seen many movies that are “good” and meet your criteria (in my
opinion) that never see any success.

Please do. I really want to see some examples of what you're referring tO.

I feel likE I'd get a better idea of where you're coming from. I've shown examples.

Okay, you're changing your tune now. You said earlier marketing is all that matters.

Earlier in thread (page 3, in fact) I said: "The secret to a successful $$$ return on your film is ALL in the marketing. The actual contents of your film is secondary."

Indeed, that statement was quoted by other posters. I've believe I've said this in many other threads as well. I'm always playing that same tune.

You're adding to the hole you've dug yourself in by claiming that hucksters can control word of mouth after a film is released. That's nonsense. Hucksters cannot turn water to wine.

Geez, Hollywood does this all the time. The "hole" might be yours! :) Read next comment below.

Someone said:
I once read a compelling script about two boys with cancer. No amount of huckstering would get me into a theater to see that were it produced

This is where you could be wrong. No savvy marketing person (or huckster) would market this as a cancer film. They'd come up with a (perhaps slightly deceptive) different angle to get those seats filled.

----------

Readers of this thread are able decide for themselves what they want to do. No one here starts out to make a crappy film and hopefully yours is a good one. But once its done, and distributors aren't buying, you've got to cut your personal attachment (the "artist" in you) to your film and put on your huckster cap and do whatever is necessary to get people to take money out of their pocket and put it in yours.

Good luck filmmakers!

I'm giving this its own post because this fella is SPOT ON. Filmmakers should read this.

However, I'm sure Kyle will agree with me you can't do the FB thing half way . . . you've got to go all out for it to work.

Lets be honest, not many filmmakers or indie-producers out there have a spare dime to spend on promotion. It all went into the spit and popsicle sticks they used to finish their film or whatever it is they’re working on. But, Facebook Ads can be a fantastic way to spread the word if you can get the costs down low enough. I don’t really suggest this for anyone who doesn’t have a product to actually sell, because your money can go down the tubs very quickly if you don’t know what you’re doing. The key is to get your sales to balance out with your ad costs, and with enough elbow grease actually get into the profit arena. I can’t spill every secret but I will give you a few tips and tricks to show you how to create an effective Facebook marketing campaign for your film.

--- that was taken from Kylee article... Judging by your posts I'm this thread you either glossed over his article (I read it months ago and knew exactly where he said what I've been saying this entire time) or you are agreeing with us now?

Which is it?

--- that was taken from Kylee article... Judging by your posts I'm this thread you either glossed over his article (I read it months ago and knew exactly where he said what I've been saying this entire time)

I'm speaking from experience. Kylee is just stating what some, including myself, already know. I haven't spent a dime on advertising other than promotional material (stickers and flyers). I'm not sure if the google ads would work for everyone, but everything else about Facebook he's saying is spot on. If you're not squeezing money out of people using social media, then you're not fully marketing your film. Facebook costs, well, nothing to use. I'm trying to clue you in without stating the obvious. This is an open forum -- there are more than just filmmakers lurking here. I'll leave it at that. Anyone wanting an inside on FB can PM me (you'll have to have been a member here for a while).

------------

I'm speaking from experience. Kylee is just stating what some, including myself, already know. I haven't spent a dime on advertising other than promotional material (stickers and flyers). I'm not sure if the google ads would work for everyone, but everything else about Facebook he's saying is spot on. If you're not squeezing money out of people using social media, then you're not fully marketing your film. Facebook costs, well, nothing to use. I'm trying to clue you in without stating the obvious. This is an open forum -- there are more than just filmmakers lurking here. I'll leave it at that. Anyone wanting an inside on FB can PM me (you'll have to have been a member here for a while).

------------

Well, after the avoidance of my question on more than one occasion I'm gonna go ahead and call it a set on the subject.

There's really no way to make things any simpler, and I'd someone takes away that you don't need a decent product, you just need to market then may the universe save them, and I hope this isn't a career for them more so than a side deal or a hobby. =P

And I'm still waiting for someone to show me a decent feature that didn't find some monetary success. It's weird that so many exist but there aren't any being mentioned or linked to in these discussions.

Your examples are fact based, either a movie made some money or it
did not. Now we get into opinion - good, decent, believable,
amazing production value, clear salability are all words you have
used and can be very subjective. If I offer a few movies that you
feel do not meet these criteria you will simply say the reason
these films did not make money was because they did not meet this
criteria. My point that making a good movie isn’t always enough
will be lost.

I found my AFM program from 2007 with my notes in it. It took
some time to find out how many of the films I thought were decent
but didn't get a release. I found three from that one year that got
some festival play - I haven't had the time to fully research them
to know if they had any on line success. I couldn't find any evidence
at all of two of them - two that I believe fit the criteria. "A Mind of
A Guy", a very funny charming RomCom from a guys perspective,
and "Split Ends" a twisty thriller shot on 16mm that I thought was
just as good as "The Usual Suspects" with a much more unexpected
ending. No names on either side of the camera, excellent production
value, terrific acting.

I'm back at AFM again today to see more movies. When I get the time
to do some more research (to make sure they did not find some monetary
success) I'll post movies from other fests or past AFM's.

Back