On-Camera Monitors

Was in Los Angeles and saw the Gh3, looks great, going to make the purchase, but was wondering about On-Camera Monitors. This will all be mounted on a bracket, on a tripod, on a dolly, to roll around in my studio. Is there a way I can purchase a larger monitor, like from a computer, and run hdmi to the camera, and ac to the monitor and camera as rig? Or what do I look for in a on-camera monitor?
Thanks
Vows

There are many options for this sort of thing. On a set, its not unusual to run a video feed out of the camera to a directors monitor.

If your looking for something for yourself, again there are a ton of option. I use a 6 inch monitor, made by a company called SmallHD. They range in price for a couple hundred up to a few thousand, depending on options.

I looked at that monitor and that would be just fine. But, since I am going to build a permanent tripod platform, I thought it would be nice to plug into a 16x9 computer screen or something similar, TV. Is this a real idea, and also, how about exact cropping with any external monitor. Always appreciative.
Thanks
Vows

I often grab one of my computer monitors for locations with easy power. As long as it takes HDMI its good. I have a passive HDMI spliter that works mostly so I can run both the little 7" monitor mounted to the camera rig, AND a directors monitor (my 22" LED computer monitor)

All great ideas, going to purchase the Ican 5", with a splitter, now...how about the cards. How many do you carry? When the camera sends out 72mbps, I am going to need the 96mbps card, then how many? Big difference in cost between 48 and 96, 16g and 32g. Should I purchase the cards closer to the shoot date to save some money, because I once spent $75 for 1g 133x compact flash card.
Thanks
Vows

I'm using the SmallHD AC7 LCD, it works and I'm happy with it.

Note that the monitor has a bunch of features you can use like focus peaking etc to help you beyond just being a framing/reference monitor.

Back