OMG! Not Another Blog Show

Hey guys,

Thanks for reading, I am starting a new blog show as titled above and would like your input on what you think. I will be going into a lot of the experiences I have had on sets and general discussion. It would be great if people could watch, subscribe, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFQG-WbGGIs

Also, after watching, I know this is just an intro, but as I stated above, I will focus on film and general talk. Instead of a normal video blog, I plan to add cinematic elements, as seen in the intro. Would you continue to watch? Why or why not? and or What would make you continue watching?

All feedback is greatly accepted.

Thank you,
Mike

I think it's great ,maybe if things move a little bit faster would be better . However I think it is pretty nice , i'm looking forward your next episode and im subscribing :)

Hey thank you :) I'm glad you think it's enjoyable, I was beating myself up thinking it wouldn't be, so thank you.

Ok, I can take the length into consideration when shooting the rest, so as there is no down time. :)

I'm not sure ... What makes it new and different as compared to other vlogs. (No offense) but what's so interesting about your life that we might want to stalk it? :)

Don't you think there's enough out there already? Again, no offense, just trying to be realistic, the only thing that I found funny/interesting/worthy of a half smile was warming your hands to the fire, apart from that there wasnt much to make me want to keep watching more episodes... There needs to be something special or interesting that will grab the viewers attention and make them consider watching more of your videos

For the record I hate vlogs, so my opinion is probably best ignored :P

I understand, and vlogs are just a way to reach an audience, especially for actors. But as I said before, my focus will be on experiences with film, advice about topics and general talk, along with cinematic elements, which many vloggers do not do. I am just trying to reach an audience that will want to watch and thus a post was made.

Video logs are a dime a dozen agreed, that is why I am trying to find my niche. I have my ideas and opinions, etc. I know it is just an intro, and that's all it is, once I get up and going you might find it more interesting to watch.

Think along the lines of FilmRiot I guess, only I will not be showing how to create effects etc for budget, but advice and such that could help people become better, or just listen to me rant I guess. Especially my next log, which is going to be about Amateur Directors. A lot of people make mistakes, and it's good to learn from them, but there are too many people out there that break rules and think it's ok.

And for future comments, I would like to ask, what would make YOU continue watching?

I
And for future comments, I would like to ask, what would make YOU continue watching?

TBH I don't really know. The only 'show' as such that I watch is film riot because I see they are experienced enough to give decent enough advice, their DIY builds are good, and Ryan is sometimes funny. But I don't watch any rambling vlog people.

I'm subscribed to about 30 people and I only watch the ones that make short films or VFX videos, such as FCRabbath, Devinsupertramp, freddiew, mysteryguitarman, finalcutking, lindseystomp, pwnisher, filmriot, corridordigital. The rest are 'no names'

just like reality tv, the only ones worth any sort of merit are from famous people (and I dont mean internet famous. Famous famous.)

TBH I don't really know. The only 'show' as such that I watch is film riot because I see they are experienced enough to give decent enough advice, their DIY builds are good, and Ryan is sometimes funny. But I don't watch any rambling vlog people.

I'm subscribed to about 30 people and I only watch the ones that make short films or VFX videos, such as FCRabbath, Devinsupertramp, freddiew, mysteryguitarman, finalcutking, lindseystomp, pwnisher, filmriot, corridordigital. The rest are 'no names'

And that's cool, thanks for the reply I'm just trying to feel out the people here, I do short films as you can see on my channel also, this is just another avenue of video to do in between shorts, to keep up cinematography etc.

Hey Muss, you've said your input now leave. You are not contributing helpful feedback, thanks.

you may not deem it helpful, but it is. It may seem mean, but it's true. If you are indeed a filmmaker, don't lower yourself to the likes of Fred or Shane Dawson.

I watched these two videos....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-OOXwRi208

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2SRUpWbWgc

It'd be a shame to see someone with talent like that make something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/SWVUGSB_LmlNA

As someone once put it, and I forget who, "Vlogging is the cancer that is slowly killing Youtube."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIh5DG4fFQc

Well I would never do what Shane or uh the Fred guy does. That is not what I am getting at with the blogs lol. I also didn't mean offense when I said leave, but it seemed like you were sticking around to just say it sucks really.

In defense of vlogging is not cinematography. Your right most the time it is not, but for my set up it is, I have studio lighting, framing, camera movement, etc. I'm not saying it's blockbuster vlogging... cause vlogging isn't blockbuster stuff lol. but it helps to review the scene instead of sitting on my ass at home watching other people's work. Because I can't make anything till I move back to LA where my crew is.

EDIT: Also another point is it helps me as an actor speak. I can rehearse as many monologues as I want but this is kind of a improv thing, so it helps in that area also. I'm not here to change anyone's view on this stuff, because in reality I agree that vlogging for a lot of youtube channels is just crap.

Last edited:
Well I would never do what Shane or uh the Fred guy does. That is not what I am getting at with the blogs lol. I also didn't mean offense when I said leave, but it seemed like you were sticking around to just say it sucks really.

In defense of vlogging is not cinematography. Your right most the time it is not, but for my set up it is, I have studio lighting, framing, camera movement, etc. I'm not saying it's blockbuster vlogging... cause vlogging isn't blockbuster stuff lol. but it helps to review the scene instead of sitting on my ass at home watching other people's work. Because I can't make anything till I move back to LA where my crew is.

Practicing cinematography in a vlog is heavily limiting yourself, there's only so far you can go to make it look nice. And it's rally only to the level of an interview situation. Especially when you're in front of the camera rather than behind...

As I have stated before, it is better than not doing anything at all. This is a good discussion, but you have to also see it for how it helps, your right, it really is an interview set up, but unless im just taking landscape stuff or filming random objects i put light on etc. It still doesn't help to just sit here.

Not to mention, I am an actor first lol, with a degree in cinematography and directing, I can go both ways but acting comes first.

As I have stated before, it is better than not doing anything at all. This is a good discussion, but you have to also see it for how it helps, your right, it really is an interview set up, but unless im just taking landscape stuff or filming random objects i put light on etc. It still doesn't help to just sit here.

Not to mention, I am an actor first lol, with a degree in cinematography and directing, I can go both ways but acting comes first.

Well this is true. But there are other things you could be out shooting. If you're also a writer you could be writing new stories. You could go as far as buying some dummies and setting up mock situations to test your cinematography skills.

Time lapse videography is an entire art

Haha, I actually do write scripts currently also, I have 2 finished and 2 in the works, really once I get a decent crew that has experience I have a lot to give, but as I'm waiting out my last days in college, I can't really do much, I mean people on here collaborate, but I don't know how far they ever come. Plus I've worked with my fair share of amateur directors that it just makes me sad and mad at the same time, so many people have such a hugh chip on their shoulder.

I'll look into time lapse videography though, never heard of it.

Back