Old camera question

I bought a camera years ago and just recently pulled it out of storage.

It's a JVC GX-S700 and it works really well, although it is really light-hungry.

Being a life long but recovering packrat I'm looking for a good reason to keep the thing. Is there some circumstance other than "it looks so good on a stand" to hold on to it, or should I just dump it on ebay like I intended?
I'd hate to have kept it all these years and then sell it and suddenly realize the perfect shot in some situation screams out for a Saticon tube.

And it does look great on a stand

Neil

It actually works very well. The old batteries don't hold up long anymore but it accepts 12V externally.

It's not a camcorder however, just a camera, so there has to be an external deck or recording medium for the output.

There's a proprietary cord that I have with it for output and the camera has a couple of BNC connectors as well (which I thought would work with a monstrous effects switcher I bought once, though I haven't brought the two together yet!!).

I just don't know enough about cameras, lenses, and pick ups to know if there's some advantage to JVC's old system with the "Saticon" pickup tube.

My thought was that it might be good for some specialty shots, but again it's just a thought!!

It makes a heck of a paperweight though.

Neil

I actually just recently bought that camera off of Ebay, not really knowing much about it. And I can't really experiment with it because it is missing a battery, power cord and viewfinder. I'm quickly finding that those parts are hard to come by. georgiahoosier, I would be happy to buy yours from you if you're done with it and if you haven't already gotten rid of it.

If you know where and how to get those two things, I would much appreciate the information. And really, any background information you know about the camera would be awesome. You mentioned that it was light-hungry, and I read somewhere that it requires a minimum of 30 Lux, but I don't exactly know what that translates into.

I apologize for my ignorance, I'm a senior in high school about to start my freshman year of film school, so I can't say I know a ton, especially about old cameras like this.

I remember those cameras. I used to direct a couple of cable access
shows in Pasadena (CA) that used those. It's a very nice studio camera
that might be have use outside the studio environment.

Hook it up to a TV set. Instant viewfinder!

I actually just recently bought that camera off of Ebay, not really knowing much about it. And I can't really experiment with it because it is missing a battery, power cord and viewfinder. I'm quickly finding that those parts are hard to come by. georgiahoosier, I would be happy to buy yours from you if you're done with it and if you haven't already gotten rid of it.

If you know where and how to get those two things, I would much appreciate the information. And really, any background information you know about the camera would be awesome. You mentioned that it was light-hungry, and I read somewhere that it requires a minimum of 30 Lux, but I don't exactly know what that translates into.

I apologize for my ignorance, I'm a senior in high school about to start my freshman year of film school, so I can't say I know a ton, especially about old cameras like this.

I'm going to use the camera from time to time, but if you would like, I'll scan the instruction manual and send it to you. It has a lot of good info in it.
If you can find an old portable VCR with the multi pin connector and a cable to go between them it will feed the camera the necessary 12V.
I don't know if the batteries are made anymore, the ones that I have don't last too long on a charge.
One of these days I'm going to run it through my old FORA effects generator to see what I can make it do.

Neil

Back