tv Oh No!!! MTV aquires IFILM!

DAMN!!!

And heres me writing to ifilm.com at this moment, "Please can you show my latest short film on your site..."

It probably will not be shown now.

Maybe they haven't made any management changes yet?

This can't be a good thing for IFILM - MTV doesn't give a damn about indie music. They won't care about indie film either. I bet they'll do deals to just show Hollywood trailers....boring. Who knows, maybe they will surprise us?

That's certainly not a good thing... corporate control and multi-level management all take away from the immediate nature of an independent set-up. Nice to see iFilm making some $$ but I guess we will soon be seeing another indy site taking its place.

video iPods and indie films

What would be really awesome? Apple making an "Indie Film" channel for their new iPod's.

They just released the newest version, but can you imagine 2-3 versions down the line? They'll have 16x9 widecreens (albeit 3 inches long) - and will probably hold tons of movies in great quality. If they sell indie films for .99 cents...and kick us half....heck, that's more than 95% of indie films make on a film anyway. If your film gets popular and sells $10,000 videos through Apple's iPod that's pretty nice.

It seems their pacing with releasing new iPods is fast..so, by late 2006 I bet we'll have a few generations of video iPods on the market.

Something no one seems to talk about -- the iPod will eventually get (probably free) internet access to Apple's soon-to-be enormous stockpile of content. That means people will be sitting on a bus..and be downloading indie (and hollywood of course) films in real time from Apple. It's coming...sooner rather than later.

Next generation iPods....my prediction -- super WiFi built in, free web access to Apple, better color screens that are 16x9, can hold 100's of movies.

MTV, Micro$oft and all those guys know this already...hence, MTV buying IFILM! They want their piece..

Anyone disagree or agree??

Last edited:
The buy out news is that "Viacom" (who also own Mtv.com) are offering $50million for ifilm.com and they are looking to cash in on the expanding internet advertising sales.

Ifilm.com has been on a downward slide since 2002. They used to be a INDIE film site (which is what the "I" was supposed to stand for. Ifilm.com has been charging outrageous rates for hosting films and then not doing jack to promote the small people, whilst redifning annoying with banner ads, popus, commercials, and to top it off - they play mostly Hollywood trailers, promo pieces, and whore themselves for the big Hollywood flicks.

This move with MTV seems lateral to me....

Back