Obtaining financing

Has anybody in this forum been successful in obtaining financing for any of their films?

I have recently been contacting potential investors and awaiting their reply. I had written and produced two documentaries in the past, and due to some very foolish decisions on my part, I lost all rights to them. I now have no money to invest in my current project because I pretty much spent my last dime on the previous films. The part that really hurts is that I had both completed and figured I would kill two birds with one stone, well it turned out that the birds had returned fire.

The project I am currently working on has never been done before, and it would be a shame if I could not complete this one. Everybody that is working on this project has agreed to be paid a part of the net profits. They only agreed to this after hearing about my film and what I wanted to do with it. That is how unique this film is.

If anybody knows of investors that would be willing to work out an agreement, please reply to this post or send me an email.

I was eager and stupid. I signed a distribution deal and in the contract there were a lot of fine print notes. The trick was in how they set up those little notes.

They had everything that would benefit me in nice clear print. After a certain page or paragraph there would be this printed below, "FPN (2)", which actually means "Fine Print Note #2". And of course each FPN had a different number. These little notes included information they did not want you to see and were not given to me with the original contract. There was actually a separate little packet that included all the FPN definitions, and this was given to me after the contract. They covered their asses in every way possible so I could not come back on them and claim that I had no knowledge of these little notes.

Basically no matter what I did, I was going to lose the rights to both of my films. And when I say I lost the rights, I mean I lost ALL RIGHTS. I cannot even mention myself as having to do anything with these films. They can actually sue me if I mention it.

The lesson to be learned here is to allways read anything before you sign it. You probably should have consulted a lawyer to look over the contract for you. At the end of the day you don't have to sign anything if you don't agree with it.

You're absolutely right countevil. Like I said, I was eager and stupid. When you want something really bad and somebody comes along and offers it to you, you get excited and tend to overlook the really important details.

Yeah it's understandable. A lot of people these days are terrible about reading things they sign. I feel bad for you. But we learn from our mistakes. I'm sure you'll never make the same one.

I found getting people to let go of money in this current economic environment is VERY HARD. Not impossible, we raised our budget but man it was one of the hardest things I've ever done professionally. Persistence is one of our best friends. Keep the faith and if you have a good project you can raise some money. The first thing I would do is find an entertainment attorney to help you with the whole process (both fund raising and distribution).
good luck

Always read the fine print! I've seen people sign their songs away just be entering online competitions.

Unbelieveable

Wow that is unbelieveable, i can't belive that people would steal like that!

I am working right now on trying to gain fiance and a crew for a project in Samoa. I can't believe i have the opportunity to work on this show, we plan a tv series where celebrity writer/reporter Raam Barros will meet rugby legend Freddie Tuilagi in Samoa and go throught the traditions and customs of the island in a bid to become an honorary Samoan Warrior.

If anyone knows of a crew, anyone wants to be involved or know of how to finance this project please get in touch with me, the more help I can get the better, I don't want o waste this opportunity!!!!!

Thanks guys!!!!

Have you consulted a lawyer?

There was actually a separate little packet that included all the FPN definitions, and this was given to me after the contract

If this is actually true, and there was verbiage that they did not provide to you until AFTER you signed the contract, I am fairly sure that a lawyer could argue the contract is illegal and invalid. AFAIK ALL aspects of the contract must be reviewable prior to signing otherwise they are toast on the back-end.

I was eager and stupid. I signed a distribution deal and in the contract there were a lot of fine print notes. The trick was in how they set up those little notes.

They had everything that would benefit me in nice clear print. After a certain page or paragraph there would be this printed below, "FPN (2)", which actually means "Fine Print Note #2". And of course each FPN had a different number. These little notes included information they did not want you to see and were not given to me with the original contract. There was actually a separate little packet that included all the FPN definitions, and this was given to me after the contract. They covered their asses in every way possible so I could not come back on them and claim that I had no knowledge of these little notes.

Basically no matter what I did, I was going to lose the rights to both of my films. And when I say I lost the rights, I mean I lost ALL RIGHTS. I cannot even mention myself as having to do anything with these films. They can actually sue me if I mention it.

In my BS Finance i read Business law. Though i am not an expert but i think if the films were not completed then you should have left the project. As you said that even its possible that you cant place your name then the best option is to leave the project. Even if the film was done you could have consulted a lawyer. Because there are two types of laws. One is a law based on the constitution of a country and the other is natural law which mean according nature everything is decided. You just had to prove that they made a fraud with you and you were a part of this project. Proving these two elements would have easily helped you.
But i have no idea that you had any money to sue them or not and what were the conditions. But i think behind the scene footage (if available) would have atleast made it clear that you were the director (if that footage had some thing to show where you are directing etc).

Again at the end the important thing is that we dont know your exact conditions. But a major tip for you is that "Even if you have signed a contract, it doesnt mean your are bound to follow that contract if that contract is not in favour of you " . But in that case you cant just say "im not following the contract, you need to take proper legal steps to stop the activation of that contract. And because your arent getting any consideration in return so in eyes of law the contract will get suspected itself".

Last edited:
I am fairly sure that a lawyer could argue the contract is illegal and invalid. QUOTE]

Exactly ! In a contract if one party isnt getting any consideration the contaract is voidable ! And also gets suspected in eyes of LAW because according to law of contract both the parties must get some consideration.
I dont know in which country you live but i believe the basic laws are same all over the world...if you are in UK then these point might be more helpful because the points i raised are from PAKISTANI CONSTITUTION which is heavily influenced by BRITISH LAW

Last edited:
The lesson to be learned here is to allways read anything before you sign it. You probably should have consulted a lawyer to look over the contract for you.
Not "probably should have" but "definitely should have". Only lawyers know the pitfalls. Even experienced filmmakers or very smart people cannot know the ramifications and pitfalls of a contract. An entertainment lawyer is a NECESSARY evil. You must pay them to review contracts when large amounts of money are involved. Even with a bullet proof contract there are OTHER things that you need to do to protect yourself, because the law only protects you so far.

Ad2478 is correct that a contract is not valid unless there is consideration. What does the contract say you are giving them in exchange for???? For one dollar? For good and valuable consideration? Or is it a transfer and assignment agreement? Email me the contract and I'll give you my opinion.

Not "probably should have" but "definitely should have". Only lawyers know the pitfalls. Even experienced filmmakers or very smart people cannot know the ramifications and pitfalls of a contract. An entertainment lawyer is a NECESSARY evil. You must pay them to review contracts when large amounts of money are involved. Even with a bullet proof contract there are OTHER things that you need to do to protect yourself, because the law only protects you so far.

Ad2478 is correct that a contract is not valid unless there is consideration. What does the contract say you are giving them in exchange for???? For one dollar? For good and valuable consideration? Or is it a transfer and assignment agreement? Email me the contract and I'll give you my opinion.

:) Happy to see that my interest in law can help (or at-least guide) some one....! :)

Back on Topic

Now that you've learned a lesson, you need to get moving on your next project. Sounds like you have a good idea. I wasn't sure though - is this a narrative feature or a doc? If it's a narrative feature, do you have your initial board and breakdown?

Back