NYFA...

lol its me again, i got another question, idk if anyone will be able to help me. in a few years after im done with high school, i really wanna go to NYFA..but, ive read bad things, could anyone here help me out if its a good school. i plan on going for my Bachlelors Degree in Filmmaking, thanks

honestly bro, i'd stay away from the new york film academy. All of those new schools are ripoffs I've heard. If you want to go school, i'd say go big.... NYU - Tisch school of Arts, UCLA, USC..... something like that. If you can't afford/get into any of them, there are film schools that are legit. MANY of them aren't though, so be careful.

I knew someone who went to the NYFA. For acting though. I haven't heard from her since. I hope you know that you don't need to have a degree in filmmaking to make films. If you take a couple of classes at your local community colleges or universities, you should be all set to make a movie. A well known saying is "Its not what you know, its who you know". Make a short and submit it to a few festivals. That'll at least put you on the map. Just try to be involved with the filmmaking community. Check out what your film commission has to offer. You say you're in Ohio, so you can go here: http://www.discoverohiofilm.com/ for your states film commission. You can find all sorts of goodies there. Try and get a job as a PA and just get your foot in the door. You'll learn about filmmaking from people involved in the industry instead of some professor, and you'll probably score some free pizza.

thanks man...and nyfa, well, 15 grand is abit to be taking risks on..i found a few schools im thinking of attending in california..def seem more legit, and i can spend the money on them as long as i know they are legit.lol

I knew someone who went to the NYFA. For acting though. I haven't heard from her since. I hope you know that you don't need to have a degree in filmmaking to make films. If you take a couple of classes at your local community colleges or universities, you should be all set to make a movie. A well known saying is "Its not what you know, its who you know". Make a short and submit it to a few festivals. That'll at least put you on the map. Just try to be involved with the filmmaking community. Check out what your film commission has to offer. You say you're in Ohio, so you can go here: http://www.discoverohiofilm.com/ for your states film commission. You can find all sorts of goodies there. Try and get a job as a PA and just get your foot in the door. You'll learn about filmmaking from people involved in the industry instead of some professor, and you'll probably score some free pizza.

thanks man, thats great advice, the only reason i care about attending a school though, is just because id like to go to college, but i will definitly consider your advice, take care,Z

To go to school or not is a personal choice. Selecting the right school takes patience and a lot of research. And, as has been pointed out so often, you don't have to go to film school to become a filmmaker.

What works for many is to jump right in head first. Work as a PA or whatever other job for which you can qualify. Then you can take a class or a seminar to improve your skills, work more, take more classes, etc. It also is important to work really hard, be helpful and polite (without being a brown noser); you'll get to sit in on all sorts of interesting situations.

When I was a musician I used to kibitz with the engineers when I did recording sessions. I developed relationships and was invited to fly second chair on occasion. When I went into engineering full time I took the advanced Pro Tools certification courses, and since it was only a few more dollars took the audio post courses as well, and here I am. I've taken a course in being a voice over artist, not that I wanted to be a VO artist (although I do the occasional VO) but to understand the process. I've taken film/video editing basics so I better can communicate with editors and directors. I managed to hang out at a Foley facility for a few days, a scoring stage for a few more. I still freelance at other studios and when my work is done hang out to watch other engineers when they work. You never stop learning, improving your skills and learning new techniques.

So get out there and be a PA, 2nd AD, gaffer, grip or swing a boom on every low/no pay indie project you can find. The better you understand all of the crafts the better a director you will be. Watch others at work, learn lessons both good and bad. Then you will learn what you need to learn.

also man, im in the same situation you are, except i went to a college (toledo university) for two years and majored in film. Sure, I learned a bit, but in general I thought it was a waste of money.
If you are in Ohio, you can go to Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Toledo, or Ohio University. They all have film departments. I recommend cinci or ou though if you must go to an ohio school.

If you'd like to help me out on any projects i'd be willing to give you some credit. Networking plays a big part in getting a job/internship.

best of luck!

Back