NYFA 8 Week Film Course - advice needed

Hi guys, basically during my gap year next week I am looking at doing the 8 week film course over at NYFA, looks pretty legit and worth the while, my parents have agreed to pay for the course if I decide to do it, so basically what I am asking is whether I should and how beneficial it will be for me?

Now I know many would say 'don't go, use the money to fund your own projects' however, it is not my own money, so even if I didn't go I wouldn't be able to use the money on my own stuff. I have been shooting my own stuff, mainly experimental, but after my exams are finished, I've got a short planned to shoot, all written and everything, just need the time to shoot. Also throughout the year leading up to it im gonna be working and making shorts to get everything I can out of film before I go so I'll have more experience and also because i just wanna make films aha!

So for me, I'm looking at using this course as a way of developing my craft in general, just to get a bit more experience and make a few friends and maybe even some connections. I know 8 weeks isn't much time at all, but you get to shoot 3/4 shorts over that time, and I just think in general it would be help to develop my skill and learn a few things.

Is there anyone here who's done one of these courses or anything similar? Is there any courses people recommend over the NYFA ones? And most importantly, will it be worth while? Any opinions or feedback would be greatly appreciated, cheers guys :)

I would say that you'll be better off offering to work on a few sets. Keep checking sites like Gumtree, Talent Circle, Filmmakers United and you'll see that a lot of shorts are looking for runners or PAs. Working on 4 or 5 different films over an 8 week period will be much better experience for you and much cheaper. Sure, some of these films might be crap and you'll have to do boring, menial work but you'll learn as much from the bits that are rubbish as you will from the parts that are really fun and professional.

And then you can put the money you've saved towards your own film.

Cheers man, I'm definitely gonna do that, already looking! However, seeing as I'm out for the whole year, I could work on a few and then go out? Would that be reasonable? Perhaps then I could use the skills that I have learnt and then apply them to my filmmaking while I'm out there while also getting tips from experienced others?

I see you're from London also, if you've ever got anything coming up I'd love to help out ;) gotta start somewhere ay :P

You've got the choice of:

1) Having parents foot the bill for a 2 month educational & networking opportunity in a foreign country...

2) Nothing

That's a no-brainer, the way I see it. :huh:

Yeah the course is only two months and you have a whole year free? Oh, and you're parents are paying for it 100%?

Um... I say do it. :yes:

It can't hurt. Then use the other 10 months in the year at either side of the program to do what Nick suggests. :yes:

Back