NTG-2 and what recorder?

I am slowly building my gear and my budget is limited, meaning very low. I am coming from a Canon 50d (magic lantern hack), Zoom H1 with a 'cheap' EM-320E shotgun microphone (http://cheesycam.com/em-320e-shotgun-microphone/ in case you never heard of it) to a Blackmagic Cinema Camera, NTG-2, and I have no idea what field recorder to get.

I've heard cons with the Tascam DR-40 and Zoom h4n with the NTG-2, and those being low volume I believe(?).

What are the cheapest, yet decent, field recorders to use with the NTG-2? I'm not looking for the actual best quality because I am a hobbyist and it's mostly for short films, documentary stuff, etc.

Thanks for any input!

...I used the DR-40mkii paired with the NTG-2 for my short and got some great sound.

When you trade up from the camera mic it's going to sound "great" to you. Burgers taste great after a diet of sh!t sandwiches, but you haven't had the opportunity to taste a Kobe beef fillet mignon yet....

I do LOTS and LOTS of projects that were shot with NTG-1s and -2s, AT875s and -897s with H4s and DRs as the recorder. Most of the time, from a professional POV, the sound is poor to fair with a few goods sneaking in here and there, and the occasional really good. The "really good"s are guys/gals who want to work their way up the production sound ladder. Knowledge, skill and experience - Knowledge, skill and experience - Knowledge, skill and experience - Knowledge, skill and experience.

BTW, there is no DR-40mkII, only the DR-100 has had a mkII upgrade so far.

Lots of unhappy campers all over the web that go with that particular combo. Seems to be a non-winner.

The volume levels are the issue here, the sound itself is okay for the low price range. But, as always - Knowledge, skill and experience - Knowledge, skill and experience - Knowledge, skill and experience - Knowledge, skill and experience.

Yep. That's the #1 complaint. I don't see how anyone can walk away from the DR60 right now. Assuming we're talking low budget.
I will note the DR60 is still on sale for $200, which is a great price. I mean, really great price. I had a bad experience with the DR40 and had to return it, replaced with a zoom H6 which I really like. The DR60 was my next choice, and would've been my first choice if it was this cheap earlier.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/929347-REG/tascam_dr_60d_4_ch_track_linear_pcm.html

Back