• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Noobie when it comes to cameras. Need you help pls.

Heys guys.

I want to start writing and directing and send my short films to international festivals. The only camera i have is very weak for that and i don't know in which one i should invest. I would be grateful if you guys help me and give me your opinion.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

By the way, when you guys talk about sound equipment, you're also talking about sound devices? Is that really needed to pick up a good sound? thanks

Sound Devices gear is very professional equipment used by a very large percentage of sound professionals. The sound is remarkably transparent, the "bells and whistles" are extremely functional & highly useful, and everything is built to withstand years of hard, everyday use.

One piece of Sound Devices gear can cost more than most indie filmmakers spend on their entire sound kit, and most would not know how to take advantage of such fine equipment. There are budget alternatives, some of which I have detailed in my numerous posts. As I also mention frequently the skill with which you use the gear that you have is just as, if not more, important than the gear itself. However, even those who parrot "sound is half of the experience" almost never expend the time and effort to learn about sound and how to capture it well.

Alcove Audio thanks. I've had contact with Sound Devices and i know they're really expensive and complex.

So can I have an an acceptable sound with a boom pole and a NTG-2 without Sound Devices for International Film Festivals?

I'm asking this because at school i've always worked with Sound Devices, even in my final project and I dont know how its the sound quality without it but i guess it must be fine.

Thanks.

Last edited:
So can I have an an acceptable sound with a boom pole and a NTG-2 without Sound Devices for International Film Festivals?

Absolutely. The PMD-661 with the Oade Brothers mod is a great little recorder. Even the DR-100 if used with a decent mixer can be a decent set-up. BTW, the NTG-2 is popular, but not necessarily a great mic - it's a decent mic for the price. There are much better mics out there. If you sift through my posts I listed a semi-pro kit for about $2,500.

Limited applications. What else ya' got?

1) Move your camera monitor so it is facing the actor, press "record" on the camera, grab the boom.

2) Do ADR immediately after the shot.

3) Do ADR in post after final cut with a VOICE actor replacing the original actor. The ideal voice to use would be yours, of course. You can do take after take until you get it right.

The point is, there ARE options enabling one to do it alone. It does require thinking outside to box utilizing tools only recently available to us.

1) Move your camera monitor so it is facing the actor, press "record" on the camera, grab the boom.

2) Do ADR immediately after the shot.

3) Do ADR in post after final cut with a VOICE actor replacing the original actor. The ideal voice to use would be yours, of course. You can do take after take until you get it right.

The point is, there ARE options enabling one to do it alone. It does require thinking outside to box utilizing tools only recently available to us.

Or you can just grab 2 friends throw one on the boom and one to "press record" on the camera. Quite simplistic:D

Yep works everytime! For my one man short I just placed mic on a tripod out of the frame. It worked well but could have been much better with a boom. (if you want to see the short click on my profile and find the thread i posted about it)

Or have someone with whom to work and skip all that hoop jumping. Why go out of your way to make things more difficult just to say "I did it all myself?" Filmmaking, best case scenario, ALWAYS requires out of the box thinking, regardless if you are a crew of one or hundreds.

I've worked alone and I've worked collaboratively. Almost universally the work generated collaboratively is better. Of course that won't always be true (nor will everyone feel that way), but my name's not Wells, or Hitchcock, or Kubrick. As such I don't consider myself a singular talent worthy or capable of successfully authoring and controlling every single aspect of every single frame like those three could. I recognize my strengths and limitations and have chosen to play to my strengths.

Documentary? Absolutely. Wedding work? Certainly. Journalism? Naturally. All of that can totally be done solo. In some cases, should be.

Narrative film? No thanks. Give me a sound dept, an art dept, someone to handle scripty, a director, and a solid couple of folks to act as Prod/1AD/PAs at a bare minimum. Even if all of those functions are handled by 1 person per, or some doubling up on the production department. I'd rather have a crew, even a small one. I'll happy help out with art, logistics, food, whatever on crews where we're all wearing a ton of hats - but my primary purpose is camera/lighting.

But then again, perhaps I am biased because I *am* crew. :P

It's an alternate opinion. I encourage anyone to find their own method, but the acts of writing and directing are crafts unto themselves. Spending time playing catch-up on cameras seems counter productive if someone wants to make a career out of directing. People spend lifetimes perfecting their camera operating or lighting techniques. That transcends changes in technology, and no matter how good the technology gets it will never replace skill, talent, and most importantly experience. Working solo can be a great way to gain experience, but eventually if you want a career out of making narrative feature-length films, you'll either have to find a focus or be one of the lucky few who strikes the goldmine. The very lucky, very very very few. Of course once someone *is* lucky enough to hit that lotto number, they're going to suddenly be "saddled" with all these dirty crew types, and producers who are giving them money and demanding to have control of the finished product befitting of their financial investment. :)

----

Also, there were always tools available for people to work solo. Just because super-8 didn't have the image of 35 doesn't mean people didn't do indie work with it. Hell, there's an artist who did almost all of her films with one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PXL-2000

I talked myself out of buying one a couple weeks ago at a local flea market. It's nonsense that "the tools are only now available." There were always tools, there are better tools now, but there were always tools.

Double Edit:

Or you can just grab 2 friends throw one on the boom and one to "press record" on the camera. Quite simplistic:D

I do this when I'm acting in my own film! :)

Huh, that right there sounds like a boom operator and a camera operator to me. :P

Last edited:
Why go out of your way to make things more difficult just to say "I did it all myself?"

On the contrary . . . I do it this way because as an artist, I'm a perfectionist. I don't go around telling people I do it all myself unless I'm asked or if it is to provide a counterpoint in a discussion.

Filmmaking, best case scenario, ALWAYS requires out of the box thinking, regardless if you are a crew of one or hundreds.

My "out of the box" thinking requires delegating the crane to anchor use only (yes, as in ships) and the muzzling of all techies. Both of these things (among many, many, others) suck the life out of many a production.

A solo artist's feature film is created in the editing suite and the script is written accordingly. The whole production is geared to the aquistion of pieces needed and the creation of pieces when the usages of conventional techniques are not possible.

-----------

I'm not knocking collaboration, but it isn't the only route to success/satisfaction. Likewise, many people could not succeed without collaboration.

Last edited:
Alcove Audio thanks.

Well that's too much for me now. I would really like to have that but i dont have much money to spend.
Maybe i'll go with PMD-661 and NTG-2 for now.
By the way, do you always record audio separate from the video?

Thanks.

Back