• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Noobie when it comes to cameras. Need you help pls.

Heys guys.

I want to start writing and directing and send my short films to international festivals. The only camera i have is very weak for that and i don't know in which one i should invest. I would be grateful if you guys help me and give me your opinion.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Go up to the search button and look for "best camera" or something along those lines. Your question pops up pretty much every other day, so there will be many threads that should be able to help you. Good luck!

Im no camera expert but i think ive learned from the best.
Every one at this website
Its good for SD but in this day and age you realy want HD just for the fact that virtualy EVERYTHING is HD now. Dont get me wrong that would probably look better then a 120 dollar HD camera you pick up at BestBuy but if you have the money for a HD camera of that "caliber" Then go for it! If not theirs nothing really wrong with SD. And their are some cheaper HD camcorders that look good for example the canon hvXX seriese. Some one correct me if im wrong please?

brianluce is that a really good choice? i've never tought that I could shoot a short film with a camera insted of camcorder. Doe it have manual focus and that stuff? The only problem must be the fact that doesnt support an external microphone. thanks.

Last edited:
brianluce is that a really good choice? i've never tought that I could shoot a short film with a camera insted of camcorder. Doe it have manual focus and that stuff? The only problem must be the fact that doesnt support an external microphone. thanks.

Have a look round the Cameras & Lenses section and try searching the forums - there's a wealth of information already here if you just take the time to look :)

They support external mics, just not via XLR and then need phantom power of some kind.

The panny's of auto focus if you really need it. You're better off shooting manually though. Focusing isn't an impossible task.

chilipie thanks.

brianluce thanks. I only like to use manual focus so I can make some shots as I want playing with focus.

By the way, when you guys talk about sound equipment, you're also talking about sound devices? Is that really needed to pick up a good sound? thanks

I want to start writing and directing and send my short films to international festivals. .

My suggestion:

Then write and direct. There's no reason to spend exorborant amounts of time learning camera tech, and practicing operating skills if your goal is to be a writer/director.

Start looking around for other aspiring filmmakers and when you meet one with whom you get along who starts conversations with phrases like "I want to shoot and light films, and I just picked up (insert camera, camera accessory, or lighting toy here) the other day. I'm totally dying to use it, but I'm looking for a writer/director to hook up with."

Then the two of you learn EVERYTHING you can about producing and the logistics of shooting. You worry about the writing and the directing, let him/her worry about what camera to use, what lenses are good, what support gear won't break or fail on you or otherwise just generally suck, and so on. And that's just scratching the surface of camera without going into lighting or sound.

Even better, take your camera budget, buy some sound gear, and find an aspiring shooter with camera gear. That way you can have the best of both worlds, without having to shell out for all of the gear.

I know this advice flies in the face of a lot of indie workflow, but if the goal is to write and direct films with the intent of making it a career there are other ways to get there.

TLDR version:

If you want to write and direct, then write and direct. It's good to know the language of the camera, but you don't need to spend energy on endless technical comparisons. Find an aspiring DP and let them do that. Concentrate on story, dialogue, character, blocking, and so on.

Just an alternate opinion.

David.rhsc i appreciate your opinion and you're absolutely right but around here ( and Portugal in general) it's really difficult to get somone like that and those who available do not show must interest. If the person does not prove to be really interested, I prefer to work alone.

I've been two years in a filmmaking class. In the final project, I had all combined with someone to shooting while i would only be concerned with directing. Well that person left me hanging one day before and I had to direct, shoot and pick up the sound all at once in my short film.It was really difficult but i guess i've learned with that.

I agree with you and if that could always be possible it would be really cool. But i guess i have to do most of that at least in the beginning. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here's my thing though.

In another thread someone, who's end goal is writing and directing, is asking about spending $5000 (usd) on equipment.

He could probably get a young, inexperienced, yet clever and talented DP with some gear to shoot a short film for a stipend 1/10th that amount, and spend the remaining $4500 on a young sound guy with a little gear, a lighting rental, lots of food, maybe a little gas money for a couple of unpaid PA types, props, another stipend for the main actor or two, and so on. (For example)

I know it's hard to find good people starting out, really hard. But I like to pop into these threads from time to time (We get a lot of them) and offer the counter-opinion.

Sucks that you got boned in your class, but try not to let that color your opinion of working with others in the future. Filmmaking is collaboration.

Not always. The bigger your budget, yes, but these days tools exists for one person to do it all. However, that one person must be able to write, produce, operate a camera, know sound and edit.

I used to think that because as a news photorapher, I ran the show including microwave live shots all by myself. Film is different. It truly is a collaboration and I learned that lesson the hard way, as usual. ;)

Back