• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

No Idea What It's About

So I;ve been trying to write something that i can shoot on a pretty low budget. I know the feel of the film, the pace, the style, but no idea about the plot.

Know what I mean?
I know what its about but not. I'm trying to figure out what the plot could be but im coming up with nothing. Should i just make it plotless? And just have the character and the scenes? I dunno if it would have much drive that way...

Yea I'd take time to develop it man. Try to get some friends and family to read it if nothing else, even though you kind of have to take their criticism with a grain of salt.

Get a hero, get a struggle, and go from there.

So I;ve been trying to write something that i can shoot on a pretty low budget. I know the feel of the film, the pace, the style, but no idea about the plot.

Know what I mean?
I know what its about but not. I'm trying to figure out what the plot could be but im coming up with nothing. Should i just make it plotless? And just have the character and the scenes? I dunno if it would have much drive that way...

Something that has helped me is to think about the plot in terms of the mission and conflicts.

The plot is the main character's mission. Along the way he faces conflicts. Show a growth in the character that is caused by making choices when confronted with these conflicts.

Also another thought that I've been working with--when you reach the climax (especially in a short film) finish the story quickly.

EDIT:: Another thing I want to add is I've been thinking about the important distinction between "concept" and "plot/mission" in narrative films.

For example: The movie Step Brothers has a simple but great concept, "What if 40 year old men still lived at home with their parents." The plot is more complicated in that it essentially depicts the growth and maturation of the soul where the birth begins at age 40. In this movie the mission is difficult to define. A simpler example of the mission is Lord of the Rings: Throw a ring into mount doom.

I think you basically have the concept--which is super important and drives the plot of the film.

Last edited:
Should i just make it plotless?

I've thought about making films that are plotless. Doing that causes your film to enter a more experimental video art space, because it deals with a deconstruction of the story.

From the way I understand it, indie films have stories (plots). The emphasis on story/plot is what defines this genre of film.

Back