No hard feelings in show business?

I made a mistake.

Last year I was filming a pilot for a kids series and found a voice actor who did a great job (I was looking on craigslist and he blew everyone out of the water). I failed that film shoot and decided to move onto a smaller new project this year hoping it will give me the experience and possible budget to redo the first one.

I made an ad on craigslist and received about 7 responses. All of them didn't do it the way I envisioned or have the right sound. So I thought the voice actor from the first project would have the potential but I wanted to contact him at a last resort in case he didn't do it properly (because I still plan on using him in the future).

He sent me the lines and they are decent, but for some reason it seems like he isn't putting as much energy into the lines as the reference I gave him.

Out of desperation I was about to tell him he's hired but at the last second I searched on google to hire a voice actor. I found a website that has thousands of voice actors and judging by their demos, It seems like they should be able to do it the way I want it to be done.

I'm actually desperate to film this the way I envision it. I think this film shoot is going to cost around $8000 - $9000 (half saved up right now).

I'd feel really bad if I gave the part to someone else and people actually liked the show.

Have you guys went through anything similar to this?

I told him I'd send him the full script when its finalized.

Is this just show business?

I'm considering joining the army if I fail again.

Last edited:
Tell him that you like his skills, especially when he puts the effort in and that you'd like to use him in the future, but for now you went back to making a smaller project for the reasons you specified. And that in the future you'd like to use him on a bigger production instead. After this, ask him if he would be okay with giving up the role on this smaller one.

But if you feel confident enough, go ahead and explain to how important you consider the right casting to be and that it feels like it should be different on this one. You can apologise for this by saying that maybe for this particular role the two of you seem to envision things differently and congratulate him on how well you think he did his last job. Just put in the the effort to be a nice person, and both parties will be understanding and come out winners at life, if all phrased or explained properly. Communication is key.

There definitely can be hard feelings in show business. Sometimes it's necessary.

Did you basically offer him the role? I hope not. If you did but you think you'd find someone better suited I would tell him right away. He will respect you being honest and upfront. Maybe there is a different part you have for him? If not, tell him you love his work and really hope to work with him at some point. There could be some hurt feelings, but you can't let the project hurt because of it.

You worked with this guy in the past.
You auditioned him and he didn't fit this new part… so don't give it to him.

There should be no hard feelings for not getting a part. Actors are used to auditioning and not getting the part.

Thanks for the replies.

I kinda did offer it to him, I didn't tell him it was an audition because I just felt weird telling him to audition since I hired him before. It's possible I could end up using him but I would need to direct him to do it how it needs to be done and I keep thinking I might be offending him by telling him how to do it.

I'm aware that when kids hear his voice, they probably won't see anything wrong with it but shouldn't it be done the way it was meant to be done?

Last edited:
"Out of desperation I was about to tell him he's hired"

I kinda did offer it to him

Some mixed signals here but no big deal, okay so you hired him for the part.
There may be some hard feelings after you fire him.

So now you've got to ask yourself is he irreplaceable for your other project?
With all this other voice talent will it matter if he doesn't want to work with you in the future.

Personally I agree with the saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

You might be in the army this time next year. You should focus on what is best for your current project. That's just my opinion you've got to form your own.

"Out of desperation I was about to tell him he's hired"

Some mixed signals here but no big deal, okay so you hired him for the part.
There may be some hard feelings after you fire him.

So now you've got to ask yourself is he irreplaceable for your other project?
With all this other voice talent will it matter if he doesn't want to work with you in the future.

Personally I agree with the saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

You might be in the army this time next year. You should focus on what is best for your current project. That's just my opinion you've got to form your own.

Right now I'm considering using him and just working with him closer than before (last time he just sent me the voice recordings by email, I met him once and he is nice.) I feel like I'm going to offend him by saying "would you be able to put more energy in?".

I'm waiting for responses on voices.com, they have a great system and I was too dumb to go there first.

If I don't find someone that really raises the bar, I'll work with him and hope for the best.

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, there are "hard feelings" in show business. Creative people are very sensitive.
No one likes to lose a job, no one like it when people don't like their work.
I feel like I'm going to offend him by saying "would you be able to put more energy in?".
Actors are not mind readers. they understand they the directors job is to direct them.
The more professional the actor the more they want the director to tell them exactly
what they want. Even new actors need the director to tell them what they want. You
need to get over this feeling that you (the director) will offend an actor by telling them
what you are looking for. A director who doesn't communicate what they want from
the actor is not a director that actors admire.

Yes, there are "hard feelings" in show business. Creative people are very sensitive.
No one likes to lose a job, no one like it when people don't like their work.

Actors are not mind readers. they understand they the directors job is to direct them.
The more professional the actor the more they want the director to tell them exactly
what they want. Even new actors need the director to tell them what they want. You
need to get over this feeling that you (the director) will offend an actor by telling them
what you are looking for. A director who doesn't communicate what they want from
the actor is not a director that actors admire.

Thanks.

I'm a professional actor.

To follow up on what Director was saying: We want direction, but also remember, if you are not directing us, we will assume that we are on the right track.

When I was just starting out, I can remember being on a set, or in rehearsal, and feeling an insecurity if the director was not saying anything to me. I would ask, how about my performance, wondering if everything OK, I would usually get a quick, "yeah, great."

It took a little bit, but I realized quickly that directors don't really have loads of extra time. Believe me, they'll direct you if they want something else.

A veteran actor once told me: The highest praise a director gives you on set is not even usually addressed specifically to you. Here's how you know you did a great job.: "Cut. That's the one. We got it. Do we have time for a safety?"

Back