Nice to meet you! (help?)

Hello I'm Ashley!
I'm new to this site and I would love to talk to all of you about... indie stuff.
I'm a musician (to be more specific I'm a drummer/percussionist) and I'm a few months away from studying music in college.
Basically it's the end of the year and we have a huge project to do before we graduate... and I want to make a documentary on how music effects peoples' lives. I want to incorporate all my friends' local bands and their lives while weaving my life through it all (and of course many other things). I'm having sooooo much trouble with where to start being as I have never made an ACTUAL film before! The whole point of the project is that it will be a 'learning stretch', so if any of you would like to help me please reply!!!

p.s. If you want to just talk music I'm down with that, too.

Not sure what position your in. But maybe hiring a small crew to shoot it, you'll get a better quality product, but it'll cost you a bit.

Welcome!:welcome:

I want to make a documentary on how music effects peoples' lives.

The word is AFFECT, not effect.

The very first piece of advice I will give is one that I constantly have to remind myself; K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid (I actually use a more derogatory term than "stupid" when applied to myself).

Slim it down, it's admirable but much too ambitious if you have never attempted to do something like this before. Keep the focus on others; you're going to be too busy to think about yourself. Besides, your viewpoint will dominate the project anyway.

And that's next, define your viewpoint. Are you looking for positives only? Negatives only? Or contrasts?

This is just a start; I'm sure others will chime in.

Affect! Thanks for spotting that... I'm embarrassed.
I'm definitely looking for contrast. I want to use the whole 'Rock and roll may have killed Sid Vicious, but music saved Andrew McMahon' point.
I know a diverse group of very interesting musicians that I plan on interviewing. They're all really close friends so it's going to be really just relaxed and conversational. I'm working on questions at the very moment.

Do you know of any documentaries that I can look into that would better help me understand the common format to build upon?

Back