News on AI Research

Wow.

"The human brain, with 80,000 times more neurons than Neurogrid, consumes only three times as much power," Boahen writes.

I'm glad our brains still remain more complex than computers. I'm not sure I want to be around for when they make a computer with the same capabilities as a brain. I just feel like only trouble can come from it.

You've watched too many movies :lol:
Computers are a problem solving tool, if they can cure cancer and aids I don't think I'd classify that as 'trouble'

Without constraints intelligent computer get become trouble: that's not based on SF but on rational thought :P

Without constraints intelligent computer get become trouble: that's not based on SF but on rational thought :P

AI is just problem solving heuristics.
Computers do not 'think' or 'feel'. They will never be able to experience pain or hatred or fear. They will never take out humanity for their own survival or whatever other crazy stuff you might believe.

Sure if you hook up a program to nuclear missiles and give it a random dice roll to set them off.. yes that can become trouble. But why on earth would anyone do that? You don't need AI for a stupid computer to kill us all, just a buggy program with the right hardware.

Programs have bugs all the time, and sometimes people die because of it. There are people right now with medical devices that depend on computers for their lives.

People fear AI because it's something they don't understand, the same sort of human ignorance that has held back our species for thousands of years :)

Last edited:
The new model for AI is the human brain and not computers as we know them.

They can be good citizens to our society, if we nurture their development and raise them as children to be good citizens.

This prototype is already as smart as a mouse, only processing data much slower. A processor like this adopted to a quantum computer technology will blow away the present greatest super computer on Earth.

Previous to this, the smartest AI was as smart as fly. This is a major step forward.

The new model for AI is the human brain and not computers as we know them.

I've studied AI as part of my computer science degree. Including things like neural networks that are modeled after the brain. It all boils down to problem solving heuristics.

The point of these programs is to solve our problems, not for them to create internal philosophies about the meaning of their existence.

If you really want something to be concerned about, it's cyborgs.
When you combine the processing power of a computer with the destructive nature of biological life, that is when you can start to worry.

I have a degree in AI, for all the good it ever did me :) The kind of depictions in sci-fi are so far beyond the realms of possibility or likelihood it's not really worth worrying about. What AI does well is make a lot of mundane tasks seamlessly a lot easier (except when it screws up). The 'model of the human brain' (connectionism etc) is more an efficiency thing than anything else.

The need to model AI asfter the human brain and human nervous system is explained in the article of Standford's AI CPU, which is to repair human bodies for military people torn apart from bombs, land mines, and rocket blasts.

The movie THE MACHINE follows this path in the development oof AI and how Quantum computers will be the game changers for leaps forward in more advanced AI.

chips that mimic human nerves that control the movement of artificial limbs by thought will lead to an artificial nervous system.

I have shown videos from YouTube before of what Honda Corp is doing with mind controlled wheelchairs and robots. It's all part of the research into the new model of the human brain is the new model for AI.

We will need very intelligent AI to send space probes to distant stars. The further into space probes travel, the more they will have to think for themselves because human interaction will no longer be practical for probes that are literally light years away.

But the article doesn't really talk about AI. Talk of an "artificial nervous system" is more about advanced prosthetics and bioengineering rather than AI in any conventional sense. Still exciting and groundbreaking stuff, of course.

Last edited:
A friend in the industry told me last year CRAY computers are unraveling more and more of the mysteries of how the human brain works all the time. Bioengineers are creating chips that take the place of human nerve systems. The human brain is the template for AI.

To quote the article, "Stanford bioengineers create circuit board modeled on the human brain."

I was reading articles about Ivy league universities doing this stuff since the 1980s. They are only getting more advanced with it these days.

If you guys really like this stuff like I do, check out the new Indie movie THE MACHINE coming to the USA on June 17 on Blu-ray and DVD. There is also stuff on quantum computers. Google has their own quantum computer. As one of my old college physics professors, Dr. Kaku said in a video, quantum computers will advance AI to new levels because now we can make computers on a subatomic level.

Really interesting stuff.

I can't help wondering, though, probably in my ignorance, if genetic engineering, stem cells, or bio-engineering doesn't hold more promise than hardware.

I mean, I guess they're a long way away from it. I guess they're hardly able to grow noses, ears, or faces in the lab.

But my thinking is, if you really want to utilize the physics, physiology, and efficiency of the animal (human) brain, why not engineer living, biological brains? Might ulitimately be the cheapest and most practical way to go? Not sure how that'd work. I suppose you'd have to feed them somehow, instead of plugging them in or give them a battery cell etc.

They can develop all of these chips and micro machines etc to implant in peoples' bodies. But, if you needed a new arm, for example, wouldn't you rather have an organic one, grown and connected to you nervous system using real, I suppose, newly grown nerves and other tissue etc?

Maybe that's just my uneducated brain dreaming up fairytales.

But hopefully stem cell technology and other bioengineering is still only in its infancy.

I think you're probably right about not fearing AI, sfoster. I think I believe Steven Pinker. He's certainly a hell of a lot more intelligent than I am. SP addressed this issue in his book, How the Mind Works. He uses Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics to illustrate why it's not a problem. It's been a while. I can't claim to have understood it properly. I'm not sure of the quality of my reading retention either. But, if I attempt to sum it up, I think it goes something like this:

An AI will not naturally have things like desire, jealousy, a self-preservation drive, aggression, etc. Such things would have to actually be programmed into it. Therefore, the laws are erroneous. Therefore, it's not a problem.

If I have misrepresented Mr. Pinker's argument, I apologize to him and to all.

I suppose if some madman did program those things into his intelligent android or something, maybe it would be a different story?

I think you're right about cyrborgs too, sfoster. But then, we would really be talking about humans...humans with machine enhancenments, right? But they'd probably still be more or less humans, which means they'd still be, potentially, highly aggressive, dangerous, and irrational animals.

=)

There are two huge differences that I see between computer and biological brains in terms of potential to help mankind.

The first is that biological has a lifespan.. brains age, get demented, lose memory.. immortality is going to be a really tough nut to crack. But a copy you can just copy+paste. Transfer it to a new hard drive. If it's intelligent and can learn, it can be with humanity for the rest of our existence, helping us and learning from so many mistakes that there are practically no more mistakes left to make.

The second is that computers are just naturally better at some things. A biological brain is never going to be able to perform 3 billion calculations per second.. it's just not the way biological brains are hardwired. Computers are better at some problems, biological brains are better than others. So if we want real potential then we need to develop both.

There are two huge differences that I see between computer and biological brains in terms of potential to help mankind.

The first is that biological has a lifespan.. brains age, get demented, lose memory.. immortality is going to be a really tough nut to crack. But a copy you can just copy+paste. Transfer it to a new hard drive. If it's intelligent and can learn, it can be with humanity for the rest of our existence, helping us and learning from so many mistakes that there are practically no more mistakes left to make.

The second is that computers are just naturally better at some things. A biological brain is never going to be able to perform 3 billion calculations per second.. it's just not the way biological brains are hardwired. Computers are better at some problems, biological brains are better than others. So if we want real potential then we need to develop both.

Neat stuff!

Back