Newbie with a really long introduction lol

Wow, I'm almost embarrassed to step foot in here. I'm probably the noobiest-noob on Earth but I have a passion for filmmaking so I decided to make an account and maybe ask the experts here for questions

So my name is Tina and I'm:lol: still in high school and yes, as I mentioned earlier, I believe I have the "it" factor for filmmaking. I thought about filmmaking as a career just last year. Prior to that, I've always wanted to be a professional dance instructor. Don't ask me why I changed my mind lol... Since then, I've been walking around the house with a camera, either taking pictures and clips of interesting things and putting them together.

When I finish high school, I've been considering going to college to study film or take short courses for film-- I'm not sure yet. College is a bit expensive, that's why I've been trying to learn as much as I can from forums and certain websites. Soo, ermm, I hope you'd help me out with my quest, please don't mind me when I ask 10 billion questions about a certain thing, lol. Thank you!

Wow, I'm almost embarrassed to step foot in here. I'm probably the noobiest-noob on Earth but I have a passion for filmmaking so I decided to make an account and maybe ask the experts here for questions

So my name is Tina and I'm:lol: still in high school and yes, as I mentioned earlier, I believe I have the "it" factor for filmmaking. I thought about filmmaking as a career just last year. Prior to that, I've always wanted to be a professional dance instructor. Don't ask me why I changed my mind lol... Since then, I've been walking around the house with a camera, either taking pictures and clips of interesting things and putting them together.

When I finish high school, I've been considering going to college to study film or take short courses for film-- I'm not sure yet. College is a bit expensive, that's why I've been trying to learn as much as I can from forums and certain websites. Soo, ermm, I hope you'd help me out with my quest, please don't mind me when I ask 10 billion questions about a certain thing, lol. Thank you!

Well Tina, I say get some experience as a PA (production assistant) on sets where ever you can and pay close attention to what goes on, work your way up. Welcome to the boards.

Welcome Grasshopper!

I'm one of the audio guys here.

Keep in mind that the search function is your friend. Everyone here is always very glad to help you out, but a lot of the "basics" questions have been asked and answered many times.

And always remember:

"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

You mentioned that you wanted to be a dance instructor, which implies that you have a great familiarity with "movement." Just some food for thought... Some of the best Foley artists in the world started off as dancers... Pick up "The Foley Grail" by Vanessa Ament.

welcome, i'm new here as well and from the looks of it, everyone is great so ask away! just make sure you use the search function first. i say that if you have a passion for filmmaking, just do it and learn as much as you can on your own before any schooling, shoot, edit, write, etc. just do it and the more you do it, the more you want to do it. oh, and don't let anyone discourage you!

Jona

Another good way to study before film school is watch a lot of movies and watch then over and over again, each time looking for different things. For instance, the first time you may watch one is to just experience the film and see if it's "good" (does it grab you from the first few minutes and not let go) or "bad" (are you bored as hell and looking for something else to do). The next time you may watch it for types of shots (wide shot, POV, etc.). Then the next maybe transitions, like dissolve cut, fade in, out, or just a straight cut. And when you're sick of it, watch it again and listen to how the sound track and sound effects work with certain scenes (or don't, as in those old school dubbed Kung-Fu flicks).

Plus READ READ READ!! Go to the local library and see what they have for film books. This may or may not work because some libraries may have three books and the only one there is from the 50's, or it could be like the library I have here where there are three full shelves of film books (from acting to writing and everything in between). Even if you don't check them out, they all have sources in the back where they give websites and "go to" movies to watch, which should help you pick out movies to watch and learn from. I have an alarming amount of books from Michael Wise Productions. Their line up is on Amazon, so you should be able to find some great deals on some good books.

And like it was mentioned before, keep making films. It doesn't matter what it's on (a digi cam with a record feature or something beastly like an XA1) and even if they don't see the light of day, so long as you review them with a critical eye, seeing what's good and what's bad.

If you do even a few of those things and happen to get into film school, you'll be already ahead of the class when you start (plus you're going to get simular assignments in school, so it will be even easier).

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the board. :lol:

Last edited:
Back