• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Newbie Q - Studio recorded sound

Hi there guys n girls.

I am currently making my very first film, and a voiceover that I have recorded (from inside a studio) is being used in the film as if it were recorded outside.

Logistical restraints were the reason that this had to be done.

The issue that I am having is trying to make the voice sound as if it were outside. There is a slight echo on the voice and it sounds too "round" at the moment.

I have tried changing the EQ slightly, by bringing down the very low frequencies and the very high frequencies, but it just doesn't sound as if t were recorded outside.

Other than re-recording the entire VO (which would be tricky), is there a "trick of the trade" to make a studio recorded voice sound as if it was orginally recorded outside?

Thanks ever so much :)

Michael

Is it a voice-over or is it replaced dialog (called ADR or looped dialog)? If it was recorded in a real studio there should be no echo on it unless it was applied afterwards.

The "trick of the trade" that I use to duplicate a voice outdoors is to choose the right mic, make sure that the voice is absolutely dry, EQ for perspective and tweak an outdoors IR reverb preset (I use AltiVerb) until I hear what I like. You also need some ambient tone to give it a place to "live". You can try a regular reverb; use a little pre-delay on the 'verb.

You can try to reduce the "echo" (I'm guessing that it's more of a room sound) with downward expansion and gating. Removing echo/reverb/room sound is a very tough gig; it's like trying to remove the rum from a rum & coke.

Can you post a sample?

a voiceover that I have recorded (from inside a studio) is being used in the film as if it were recorded outside.

Logistical restraints were the reason that this had to be done.

From this I'm guessing it's ADR not VO.

Re-record. Get it right the second time.

From this I'm guessing it's ADR not VO.

Re-record. Get it right the second time.

Correct :)

The only thing is that the person who did the dialogue is no longer available to use. They live quite far away from me and do not have recording equipment.

I have placed ambient sound over the top, dropped the low and high freq's and it sounds a little better.

Think I am just going to have a play around with the levels.

I don't know what your scene is but when it's impossible to clean up your sound you can dirty it. In other words, have a truck drive by, etc., to hide the problem.

I don't know what your scene is but when it's impossible to clean up your sound you can dirty it. In other words, have a truck drive by, etc., to hide the problem.

I have found that adding ambient sound does help. I've been looking up gating and think that this could be another way out.

Failing that, I'm just going to have to re-record with someone else (outside). Time to change the credits ;)

ADR is tough, man. Even with millions in the budget it can be detectable. Often it is.

I completely agree! Espeicially if you are starting out in the realm of flim making, like I am. It over-emphasises it even more.

As Alcove Audio says in his sig: "Filmmaking is the art of the invisible;
If anyone notices your work, you haven't done your job right."

I guess it's a bit like Photoshopping, if people can tell you have shopped a pic, then you haven't done it well enough.

I guess it's just me being impatient; and that I wasted this guys time by not thinking ahead about how the sound would come out. It's all a learning curve I guess, and I try not to make the same mistake twice ;)

I try not to make the same mistake twice ;)
I had a boss once whose policy was "No one ever makes the same mistake twice; they're fired the first time."

Sound for picture - both production sound and audio post - are very deep subjects. I spent five plus years as a recording engineer and the past eight doing audio post and I'm still learning all the time.

Check out my blogs here on IndieTalk, it will give you a place to start; you'll at least know what questions to ask...

Back