NEWBIE over here - Really need some help!

Well I'm not entirely New to Filmmaking I've studied a lot of the basics through college and since finishing have taken some time to work on gaining more knowledge on all aspects of filmmaking. The thing is, How do I study Filmmaking? I mean both the theory and practical sides of it, because I want to understand a technique when I come to use it, I have a free schedule a lot of the time now, Pretty much everyday at the moment so really want to dedicate my time towards learning, But all of my friends are busy at uni so I don't have the chance to really get a group of friends together to shoot projects, but I mean you really do learn by doing so what other things can I do to help me get better? because i have a DSLR and a few lenses and a basic lighting kit, Pretty much a basic set up for everything. Also When studying the theoretical side of these things e.g understanding lighting techniques,, scriptwriting, sound design, editing and just generally understanding how and why to use certain techniques etc. How would I study these topics effectively daily, how many hours would be a good idea to really study and any tips on the best ways to do this? Take notes? Watch video tutorials? Some advice would really be appreciated.

Make a movie! Get your camera out and one or two lights and some props and tell a story on your coffee table with your camera. Edit it together and post it here and ask specific questions like "I want this kind of light effect...what could I have done differently?" or "my narration sounded echo-ey. How can I fix it next time?"

Pick up a few books on filmmaking techniques and try the techniques out yourself, with short movies. You don't necessarily need a huge crew to practice a few techniques. Whatever aspect of filmmaking you wind up specializing in, it's good to know about technique in all aspects so eventually you can collaborate easier.

Do as much as you can. Watch every video tutorial you can stomach. Take as many notes as possible. How many hours a day? As many as you can afford. You'll learn more if you practice 10 hours a day than if you practice five than if you practice one.

I got sick of trying to round up armies to make short narrative films so I started making one-man-band video lit a few years ago and I use each piece to learn something I didn't know how to do before.

You're in London? Whether Ontario or England, I'm sure there are scads of people making run-and-gun movies. Volunteer! Or utilize social media to meet someone who makes movies and see if you can watch or help out.

Ultimately, you have lights and a camera so start using them. You'll learn a lot that way.

Back