Newbie from Nashville

Ok, I've been lurking in the shadows around here for a while now. Thought I'd finally take the time to introduce myself.

I'm Jeff, and I live in Nashville Tennessee. I've always had a passion for moviesp, and never cared much for watching sports (although I loved playing sports). To this day I'd rather watch a mediocre movie, then a good sporting event. A lot of my best childhood memories involved going to the movies. I spent 4 years in the Navy, after high school, and then worked in the night club business most of my adult life. About 8 or 9 years ago, my mother had given me a hi8 camera for christmas. I ended up using that camera to film 3 music videos for some friends. I edited those videos using some cheap consumer NLE program. But I soon became frustrated over the limitations of what I could do. I knew nothing about lighting, or how/why cameras do what they do. At that time I just thought I needed a better camera. That passion I had kind of got pushed to the side, cause I started doing well at my regular job (making incredible money). Just under 3 years ago all that changed, the owner of the business I had been running for 13 years, decided he had enough and sold it. I was unemployed, and at 37 was tired of the night club business.

One night a friend asked if I wanted to meet for dinner. She had her laptop with her (MacBook pro), and was editing together a wedding video, for her brother, that she had filmed. She knew I had once done those music videos, and asked if I'd take a look, and maybe offer some ideas. That meeting sparked my interest once again.

Over the next 2 years (from then until now) I've spent just about every free moment reading (books, websites, forums) on film making, and video production. I've put together a decent home editing system (8 core Mac Pro, final cut studio 3, adobe cs5, pro tools 9, with mbox pro, for mixing 5.1 audio). I'm still learning a lot about After Effects. But I've also spent a great deal of time learning about cameras, lighting, and production. I use to watch movies, and then get frustrated because I couldn't get my stuff to look any where close to what I was seeing. Movies always looked so dreamy, and mine was always so video'ish.

Once I finished my editing system (not 100% done, but close), I knew it was time to get something so I could actually film with. Did a lot of research (and saving). This past week my Sony fs100 arrived. I know I'm not a working professional, but I wanted something more then a dslr offered me. Truth be told, I had been saving. And waiting for the 5D mk3 to be announced/released, and I fell in love with the Sony. I'm currently only using eBay bought canon fd lens, but plan on a set of zeiss primes, as money permits.

I'm hoping to spend this winter learning the ins and outs of the Sony, while also writing. My goal is to film a short, worth submitting to festival next year. One thing I know about myself, when it comes to ideas and writing, I'm not necessarily the guy who thinks of the best ideas, but I'm great at taking an idea, and looking at it from every direction, and expanding on it. One of my goals, as far as writing goes, is to find one or two people to collaborate with.

I know this is a long post, but I'm excited to be at this point in my life I am. I feel like its never too late to try something new. I look forward to posting things, and getting feedback from everyone around here.

Jeff

This isn't something I filmed, but it's something I edited. I basically had no clue how to use final cut pro, and my friends asked me to take some footage they had, and make a promo video, to help them attract funding for a project. I know this isnt the screening room, just thought I'd add it as it was my first effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuT11Lcm2HA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for replying. I've seen many of tour post around here, and recognized you were from Nashville also. Hope some point we can get together and chat.

Indeed.
I'm not "in" whatever film scene there is here. Didn't go to Watkins, which is kind of the clique that a lot of it revolves around. There's a good amount of production going on though, including a bit of pro production.

I've kind of avoided the film scene around Nashville. I have a couple friends/aquaintences who are/have been around it. The girl I referred to in my original post was. She has been pushing me to get active in the Nashville film commission. The video I posted above, the lady who works for the band, also is something with the Nashville film festival, and has urged me to volunteer with that. And I have an old friend (whom I wouldn't be suprised if you knew), who has done some local horror movies. He owns some tattoo shops, and hosts the tattoo/horror festival every year.

I'm kind of a go at it MY way kind of guy. I'm not big on the "it's always been this way" or this is "what everyone does" thing. I've always approached things I've done from my prospective, only adopting the "norm" when I've decided I can find a better way. Having read Robert RodRiguez's book, I've felt I'm in the same vain of thinking he comes from.

When it comes time for me to get involved with the local scene, I don't really just want to show up, I'd love to kick the door in and yell HERE I AM!

I've never been a big horror fan, but I think I have a good start to an idea (based on a true story, none the less). If you'd like to chat about it, let me know. I've been thinking about it, and am stuck as to how to take it from where I have it, to a full idea.

Well have to run to work. I am the GM of a restaurant (my friend owns), off 29th and Westend, called Cori's DogHouse. I spend way to much time there these days. Should stop in some afternoon and say hello.

Welcome, Jeff.

I'm curious why you have kind of avoided the film scene
around Nashville? It seems to me the local filmmakers
could use an extra hand on their projects just like you
will someday need an extra hand on yours. I have found
offering to help out on other peoples films really helps
when I make a movie and need help.

Is the film scene around Nashville different? Do other
filmmakers not really need help form "outsiders"?

Welcome, Jeff.

I'm curious why you have kind of avoided the film scene
around Nashville? It seems to me the local filmmakers
could use an extra hand on their projects just like you
will someday need an extra hand on yours. I have found
offering to help out on other peoples films really helps
when I make a movie and need help.

Is the film scene around Nashville different? Do other
filmmakers not really need help form "outsiders"?

Maybe "avoided" isn't the correct way to say it. I haven't been active in the local film scene for 2 reasons. First, I've run business for the last 15 years, here in town. Being at the top of that chain, also brought a good amount of hours devoted to work. For 13 years here, I ran a club. While it got to the point that I was hating my job, I was blinded by the paycheck I was receiving. And I wasn't hungry for more. After I lost that job, I went to work, helping a good friend realize his dream of opening a restaurant. I've spent the last 2 plus years doing that. We've just opened our 2nd location (which I'm running), and I've worked 70 plus hours a week since I've taken this on. My friend has realized his dream, I helped, but starting over again, as I did 2 or so years ago, started me thinking. It's what has brought me to this point. To say I haven't had much time to devote to the local film scene is an understatement. As this point, my job has allowed me to spend money on equipment, and spare time studying at home, but not much else. I consider my job to be helping me achieve my goals, but I also know at some point it will become a hindrance.

Second, and my friends have told me this is purely in my own head, I haven't felt I could contribute anything, except a lot of big talk. I've read lots of books, and forum post, and websites, but that's it. I've wanted to get a camera, and an editing system, and go out and film in the park, downtown, where ever. Go home and practice editing together. Not terribly exciting stuff, but it's how I feel I'll get a grasp of actually doing stuff. I definitely want to get involved, and feel I'm in a better spot, personally, then I was a couple years ago. I know nothing beats the experience of being on a set, and watching how others do things. I just wanted to be able to bring more to the project, then just a big guy who can lift heavy things.

I know it's been around a while, but I've only learned of it a short time ago, but would love to get involved with the Nashville 48 hour film project.

I can't say my reasons for not being more involved are valid. I just felt I needed to gain more knowledge, before I could offer anything. Me posting here today, is me feeling like I've progressed to a point where I think I have something to offer.

Jeff

Allow me to assure you that local filmmakers do not need
experienced people on their shoots all the time. Most will
welcome anyone who is enthusiastic and willing to work
hard. I can tell you from experience I would rather have
someone on my set who is excited to be there and dedicated
to learning than someone who comes on thinking they know
what they're doing or bring more to the project.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts in this. We each come to
the game differently. There is the "I do everything" method
and the collaborative method and variations of each. Both are
valid and doable.

Nashville Filmmakers

Hi Jeff (and Gonzo!),

I'm also a filmmaker living in Nashville, TN. I just started making 16mm films this summer and have fallen in love with the medium. I have a strong desire to collaborate with and learn more from other filmmakers in the area. Does anyone have any projects they're currently working on? I'd love to help out in any way.

I look forward to hearing from you both.

Sincerely,
Holly

Last edited:
Back