Newbie Film Maker First Film Advice...

Just a general question as I have stock Cannon EOS 7D and would like to know what would you folks think would be must have addons you would have to make this camera ready to shoot a film. Just the basics to cover the basic shots.

Thanks for reading and all posts would be helpful.

-js

Mattebox, cool slider thing for mini-dolly shots, follow focus, assortment of 4x4 filters, several more memory cards, and all the toys imaginable that meet the exact needs of your shoot...

Thanks all for the advice. Other folks will be doing the lighting and other will be handling the sound. I was thinking about a shoulder mount and maybe a hand held mount. Do you think you would need both? Any particular one you guys would recommend?

Also other than the lens on the camera do you think you would need a set of the prime lens and how about an external monitor? I was reading an artical in HD Pro and they had quite a few add ons.

-js

I have everything except a dolly and truck. I either got it used, discounted, or built it myself. I was formerly an engineering major but then I found out I couldn't weld, but I still have access to power tools. So if possible build it yourself, it's not that hard. It just takes a lot of trips to Home Depot, and the Machine shop. But there are plenty of instructions online on how to build a certain rig, as well as cheap rigs. Like my X-Grip I got for snowboarding was 50% off and was only $30.

For my 5d I got this, mind you I like spending money. Canon primes 15,24,50,85. Marshall 5inch monitor, redrock micro cinema bundle, filters, satchler 20s1 tripod system , Kessler cineslider on manfrotto sticks, sandisk 16 & 32gb cards, 8 batterys and battery grip. Overboard for the dslr but future proofing for red where I can. Check out Vincent laforet blog he gas a gear page with heaps of good info.

A UV filter is a must... helps out a lot filming outside. Also, a lens hood, or a matte box helps quite a bit, and protects your camera. As others have said, record with an external device, I believe your camera has a mic input, most canons do. Also, some sort of grip would be nice, aside from a tripod. I've seen some shoulder mounts on Amazon for around 40 bucks... I use an Opteka X-Grip, works fantastic and I mount my mic to the top of it. I got it for 35 bucks on amazon.

All the other stuff is really optional, but if I had to stress anything I just said, I'd find a UV filter.

I have everything except a dolly and truck. I either got it used, discounted, or built it myself. I was formerly an engineering major but then I found out I couldn't weld, but I still have access to power tools. So if possible build it yourself, it's not that hard. It just takes a lot of trips to Home Depot, and the Machine shop. But there are plenty of instructions online on how to build a certain rig, as well as cheap rigs. Like my X-Grip I got for snowboarding was 50% off and was only $30.

The x grip is fantastic, it says it's for sports, but I use it for much much more. I don't go to a filming without it. Also i dont know where you bought it and how long ago it was, but now it's 30 retail pretty much any website you go to.

Back