New writer trying the gain knowledge

Well one thing to keep in mind... it will be easy and free to get people here on IT to read a 10 page script and give you feedback.
In all likelihood nobody is going to read a feature length script for free... So you will be on your own. unless you pay for feedback.

Well one thing to keep in mind... it will be easy and free to get people here on IT to read a 10 page script and give you feedback.
In all likelihood nobody is going to read a feature length script for free... So you will be on your own. unless you pay for feedback.
Of course, you're correct but? If you catch me at the RIGHT TIME after I've thrown down a couple triples of Wild Turkey? I might read an entire script. The problem of course is the USUAL problem of doing that. Newbie writers tend to take it extremely PERSONAL when someone reads their material for FREE especially if we don't give it an immediate thumbs UP which I should point out RIGHT NOW?

Rarely ever happens.

I don't really mind reading someone's feature spec for free... I don't do consulting. I'm just a professional screenwriter. But the problem always seems to come afterward... 999 times out of 1000, the specs we read are really not that good. Then we go to extreme lengths to explain WHY what we think is wrong with it only to then be inundated with WHY WE ARE TOTALLY WRONG. LOL.

That always kills me... In a FUNNY way of course. If you want someone like me to read your spec? Please understand that we carve out time we could be using for our own writing. I would never argue with a professional who's read my spec... I may not like everything they had to say but that's okay. I'd take the critcism that truly makes sense to me and move on.

I'd like to think we here on Indietalk, try really hard to tell you what we didn't like in a CONSTRUCTIVE manner so you can improve... Yet? We seem to get the occasional member who simply wants to DISAGREE with what we say. I think these occasional members think their writing is already at a professional level and expect our criticism to reflect that. It's times like these that make us think twice about reading someone's material.

If this is your attitude (not the OP here but anyone wanting their material read)? You'd be better off purchasing coverage when it comes time to wanting someone to read your material.

Just my 2 cents.

Of course, you're correct but? If you catch me at the RIGHT TIME after I've thrown down a couple triples of Wild Turkey? I might read an entire script. The problem of course is the USUAL problem of doing that. Newbie writers tend to take it extremely PERSONAL when someone reads their material for FREE especially if we don't give it an immediate thumbs UP which I should point out RIGHT NOW?

Rarely ever happens.

I don't really mind reading someone's feature spec for free... I don't do consulting. I'm just a professional screenwriter. But the problem always seems to come afterward... 999 times out of 1000, the specs we read are really not that good. Then we go to extreme lengths to explain WHY what we think is wrong with it only to then be inundated with WHY WE ARE TOTALLY WRONG. LOL.

That always kills me... In a FUNNY way of course. If you want someone like me to read your spec? Please understand that we carve out time we could be using for our own writing. I would never argue with a professional who's read my spec... I may not like everything they had to say but that's okay. I'd take the critcism that truly makes sense to me and move on.

I'd like to think we here on Indietalk, try really hard to tell you what we didn't like in a CONSTRUCTIVE manner so you can improve... Yet? We seem to get the occasional member who simply wants to DISAGREE with what we say. I think these occasional members think their writing is already at a professional level and expect our criticism to reflect that. It's times like these that make us think twice about reading someone's material.

If this is your attitude (not the OP here but anyone wanting their material read)? You'd be better off purchasing coverage when it comes time to wanting someone to read your material.

Just my 2 cents.
Thank you very much for the knowledge

Back