New to the indie scene, general questions and confusion

Hi Everyone.

I'm a guy that was always sort of semi-interested in writing and/or directing indie movies but never really took the time to explore it due to various reasons. I am currently reading up a lot on this excellent forum and other sites on where to begin, the do's and dont's and also trying to get some sort of idea of what kind of gear I need.

I am sure this has been asked a million of times but I am still quite not sure where to begin when it comes to the camera. What should an happy amateur be aiming for here? At what price class will you transition from 'crap' to 'modest'-gear? Will a $2000 budget for the camera be sufficient and would such a camera last for quite a while or would an upgrade be necessary as I gained some experience?

On the other hand I love to write, both music and short stories, and I am currently thinking about a small and simple horror short which I think would be reasonable for a first project (not many actors, simple locations which requires no special access, and some minimal basic visual effects and a short running time of 5-10 minutes) but does it make sense to write this screenplay first and then acquire the camera or should I just stop writing and get the camera immediately to get my hands dirty with shooting stuff? Kind of a generic question, I know. On the other hand I think I can finish this script real soon anyway.

By the way, I also produce music so if anyone of you out there reading this is producing something and you are missing some music - feel free to contact me. I will put up some samples somewhere at some point also.

Thanks for reading this semi-confused introductory post.

(Actually, maybe this should be moved to the Newbie section, sorry about that)

Last edited:
Hey Brandon

$2000 should easily be enough for an 'amatuer' camera and would last for at least a few years. A horror short would be a great idea because of the simplicity of it, as you said.

I think you should make a few short films with a cheap camera, maybe borrow one, to see if you like it. If you invest $2000 in a camera and find out that filmmaking just isn't for you then you're kinda screwed.

Hope this quick reply helps

George

does it make sense to write this screenplay first and then acquire the camera or should I just stop writing and get the camera immediately to get my hands dirty with shooting stuff?

Keep writing, for sure.

If you intend to be the camera operator for your film, you may as well get a camera simply to become proficient at using it.

However, there's no law that says you have to shoot your own film personally. I haven't yet once; my time is better spent looking after the rest of the details, and using an experienced (or at least proficient) camera operator who either owns their own, or a rented camera that I provide.

I don't feel a need to buy a $2000 camera, when for $500 I can get a great camera operator with the camera they own and are skilled with.

But yah, if you're going to solo the project, you may as well get one early - just to get familiar with its operation.

There are many threads on the forums, with cameras in your price-range.

And hello :)

I would say sound is more than half the experience AA ;) People will watch content shot on a cell phone camera if the sound is redone well... but a beautiful image with sound that sounds like crap will be turned off.

BTW, I've moved the thread as you asked. :) Welcome!

$2000 is more than enough money to get started. I had around that same amount of money to buy all my equipment. I bought a Canon HV30 (the Canon HV40 is the newest for $700) and bought a $150 tripod on ebay. The rest of the money I spent buying audio equipment. I'm pretty happy with my setup until I run into $4000 and decide to upgrade in a couple of years.

As Zensteve mentioned you don't have to be the one to film your movies. I have my brother do all the camera work and I stick to directing. If you have a friend with a nice camera you could ask to borrow it or ask him/her to film it for you. This can save a lot of money in the long run if you aren't sure you are going to love filming.

EDIT: Don't forget about lighting when you do film.

Last edited:
Back