• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

New to lighting, looking for something like this

Hi,

I'm new to the world of film lighting, so if someone could point me towards a low budget way of achieving similar lighting to these points, i'd be extremely grateful!

Similar lighting to Argento's 'Suspiria'
This can be seen in a short movie HERE or in the picture HERE.

How is this achieved? What equipment would I need?

Thank you in advance :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot in the days before video and After effects, those colors were
achieved using gels. It looks to me like the key light has a blue
gel, the hair light has a simple frost and there are two lights on
the background with red gels.

You can do that with four or five small lights. Here in the states
they are called “clamp on” work lights or “scoops”.

You can use any lighting kit: check out Lowel and Britek

Probably one of the most beautifully lit movies ever, the cinematography in general, beautiful. If you don't have a very experienced DP, I'd do a LOT of test shooting beforehand where you play with the lighting.

Not every scene is that dramatic Wheat, but that style of red and blue lighting combined with whatever super color saturated film stock he used runs through the whole thing. As a whole, just a pretty good movie, visually, maybe my favorite movie ever.

hate it .. sorry.. I have not taste I know... looks like a Fisher Price "My First Light Kit" setup to me ;)

And yes, I KNOW I suck, and cant event get close.. but still yech!

It's a very theatrical lighting style, as opposed to realistic. Not too much in vogue these days. Ken Russell used to do that sort of thing, as did Joe Dante and some of Francis Ford Coppola's stuff. Baz Luhrmann is still using it. Kind of cool for fantasy-based material.

Oh.. so its ART.. well then any poo smeared on the wall can be called art.. JUST KIDDING. I can understand the attraction, just not my thing.. you can see that its very much planned and executed exactly as the artist intended. So points for that..

It's a very theatrical lighting style, as opposed to realistic. Not too much in vogue these days. Ken Russell used to do that sort of thing, as did Joe Dante and some of Francis Ford Coppola's stuff. Baz Luhrmann is still using it. Kind of cool for fantasy-based material.

I just got a chance to shoot a short script that called for flashes and undulating colored light on a set piece and several actors. Was fun to use a theatrical look for a purpose. Getting the footage later today; we had to make a lot of compromises on the shoot day, but the director tells me he's stoked with the footage, so we'll see. ("Holy compound comma splice, Batman!")

It's definitely not a style that everyone uses; the "invisible" style definitely dominates and has its merits. I'm a fan of style fitting the piece, and (by way of example) it's hard to go wrong with the work of Storaro (pick anything) or Cronenweth (Blade Runner) who are known for strong, stylistic lighting.

Back