New to forum!

Hello, I've just joined Indietalk.com and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a long-time film fan, studied photography and video for a long time, and am embarking on my own short (12-15 mins) video project. even at such a short length, I am completely overwhelmed.

It's a documentary and I have an outline, but no script. I am interviewing subjects so I don't need to write a screenplay, per se. I'm composing questions for the interviews.
How many of you storyboard your projects? to what degree to do this?
I will continue reading and researching forums. Your responses I've read so far are very kind and helpful. I'm sure I'll be posting more in the future.

Elis

Welcome Grasshopper!

I'm one of the audio guys here.

Always remember:

"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

"Young man; how is it that you do not?"

About your doc...

You are correct that there is no screen play, but many doc makers have a specific point of view (or worse, an agenda) so frame their questions and their shots accordingly. Do as much planning as you can.

On the technical side when you and your crew are in the field you all must know your equipment inside/out, backwards/forwards, upside-down/downside-up when you're all asleep, tired, hot, cold, wet, excited, bored or otherwise incapacitated and be able to communicate with a glance. Like ENG, things happen fast and you do not get a second chance to catch anything except maybe with sit-down interviews.

Thank you for writing
You are correct that there is no screen play, but many doc makers have a specific point of view (or worse, an agenda) so frame their questions and their shots accordingly. Do as much planning as you can.

On the technical side when you and your crew are in the field you all must know your equipment inside/out, backwards/forwards, upside-down/downside-up when you're all asleep, tired, hot, cold, wet, excited, bored or otherwise incapacitated and be able to communicate with a glance. Like ENG, things happen fast and you do not get a second chance to catch anything except maybe with sit-down interviews.

I have a point of view, but I am trying to keep it open (my doc is about taxi drivers).
I am VERY conscious of sound quality, and rent mics at all times. can't afford or justify the purchase of a quality mic but if this production goes well, I'll consider owning one.
re: crews, I don't have one! because I am so new at this, I am embarrassed to ask (even if I pay) someone. I have a friend who is a video producer; she is acting as consultant for me, but I'm pretty much it.

another question, if you could only afford one crew member, what skill would you hire eg, DP, sound, etc?

last, what does ENG mean? thanks again

I am VERY conscious of sound quality, and rent mics at all times. can't afford or justify the purchase of a quality mic but if this production goes well, I'll consider owning one.
Don't bother purchasing, keep on renting. You'll have greater flexibility that way, and when you can afford to hire a production sound mixer/boom-op they will most probably have their own gear.

re: crews, I don't have one! because I am so new at this, I am embarrassed to ask (even if I pay) someone.
Don't be embarrassed; there are plenty of people who want to get started just like you. The trick is to find people who are committed to quality and have the same drive and ambition that you do; since it's going to be a tight, small unit you'll have to look for compatible personalities and a professional attitude.

If you could only afford one crew member, what skill would you hire eg, DP, sound, etc?

I would probably hire a camera-op/DP. As far as mics a lot will depend upon how you are conducting the interviews. If you are interviewing while the cab is in motion you could rent wireless lavs, one for the cabby and one for whoever is doing the interviews - a lot safer that way. If the cab is stationary and if you don't mind seeing the mic in the shot you could use an interview mic like you see them used in news interviews.

crew

Thank you AA! this is encouraging. I actually know a few video artists/operators. I will ask them if they or someone they know would be available. this gives me ability to follow through and actually be able to focus on aspects of the project that could otherwise suffer. \
I suppose I will need to plan and structure interviews (there will be quite a few) so that I can actually afford to hire someone. or maybe the local film school may have students available.

the comment about the mics is good because I will be shooting both in and out of cabs, so that is another technicality that I need to figure out. as you all say it is definitely and ongoing learning process.

the comment about the mics is good because I will be shooting both in and out of cabs, so that is another technicality that I need to figure out. as you all say it is definitely and ongoing learning process.
I shot a subject inside a cab once and the sound was horrible. It got better after the cab driver shut off the AC, but I didn't have a mic on my subject, who was in the backseat, and I was shooting from the front seat, through the partition. It was nighttime, so the background of cars and lights as the cab wove in and out of NYC traffic was great, but it was very difficult to stabilize the camera and the footage needed lots of post-production correcting (Image Stabilization in Avid). Not easy, and I could only use a tiny bit of it, which is a shame because my subject was saying some great stuff back there.

As for a script, you should look at some two-column documentary scripts. One column is for video, one for audio (if you're having a narrator, music, or sound FX, this is important). I find them extremely helpful in planning, even though you don't know what's going to happen or what someone will say, you have a map to follow. Generally, you make one before you shoot, and then revise it afterwards when you know what footage you've got.

I wanted to include a link to a sample of a 2-column script from a short documentary (school project) I made a few years ago, just to give you an idea - but I had to take it off the web. It was a doc about Geo. Washington and the time I spent in NYC, and I used footage of some Rev. War reenactors, still images, and interviews. I narrated it myself. At this point, I pretty much knew what my narration script would be, but didn't have all my stills or footage yet. You can tell that I didn't know what my interview subject, a historian ("KQ"), would say, but I knew what I wanted her to talk about, so I just summarize it in my script. I just made it as a table in Word.

The important thing is having the first line of your video description on the same height in the cell as the first line of the audio description that coincides with it -- so we know what will be both seen and heard simultaneously. It's more acceptable to describe shots and camera angles in a 2-column script than the regular narrative script. If there will be lots of changes in audio, like music, voiceover, narrator, FX, and there's only one line of description for the video, that cell on the video side will just be bigger and bigger and you don't introduce a new video description until you've finished with all the audio from the previous one. It, like a regular script, needs to convey everything that's happening on the screen at one time.

For example, on the video side, if you indicate there will be a CU of an interview subject who will be talking, you put their first line of speech (or describe what they'll talk about) directly across from it in the audio column. You can easily find other samples on the web by Googling for "two column script." They're used for TV alot, too. Remember that scripts are sort of "living documents" that change, anyway. But having a preliminary two-column script for your doc is really helpful for planning and editing.

Last edited:
I'd say once you have your subject, POV and interview schedule, leave some wiggle room for discovery. Obviously your budget may not sustain this for long. But in the doc I did, the subjects took us in some new, otherwise non-planned direction which made all the difference.

Back