NEW Sigma f1.8 Zoom lens $799 for 18-35mm

Sigma have released the price for their new lens which is a zoom 18-35mm with a constant aperture of f1.8 and it's only going for $799!

There's very little examples so far but the ones I've seen if I'm honest are not that impressive but I'm willing to see what it might turn out like. Apparently the images we see are from prototypes of the lens. What are other peoples thoughts?

http://fstoppers.com/price-finally-announced-for-highly-anticipated-sigma-18-35mm-f1-8-dc-hsm

sensorSizes_11_APSC.jpg

Anyone seen images from this thing yet?

Too bad it's not a cinema style build, like these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895598-REG/Rokinon_cv85c_85mm_T1_5_Cine_AS.html

Even halfway decent image quality and I'd buy one at twice the price with manual controls and gears. Though I fear it might breathe like a pack-a-day smoker at the end of a parkour marathon.

Last edited:
That is true for physical sizes, but as IDOM pointed out, when shooting 16x9 the vertical size used is much closer (if not slightly smaller) than APS-C. The S35 physical sensor size is much closer to a 4:3 ratio.

CraigL

Yeah, that was mostly for reference to physical size - there seemed to be some confusion on the matter. APS-C is also different across Nikon, Canon, Foveon (larger to smaller, iirc).

There's a good image on Wikipedia's Super35 page that shows the various frame sizes from s35 film (including 3-perf and 2-perf), but it's like 5 pages long if I imbed it here.

The nice thing about that image is that the "Mysterium" rectangle shows a nice approximate of what a 16:9 s35 (cmos sensor) is like in relationship to Canon's variation of APS-C. Basically it's just a nice reference in general.

I have a question about this lens and maybe 18mm-25mm and wide angle 1.8 lenses in general. Camera would be nikon d5200 (dx x1.5 crop sensor).

In close up shots these lenses create great depth of field but if I would be to film in a room at wide (18mm), and the person in the middle of the room, could I still have everything in focus? Including the wall behind him?

Can I use the low light ability of 1.8 but use it at wide (18mm) and get the whole picture into view so its not just a sharp person walking the room and everything is blurred behind him, but also the wall and other stuff would be in focus? The shot wouldnt be a close up shot of shoulders+face but the room would be like a medium sized room and camera is at the other end, filming at wide, showing as much as 18mm shows. Would it be all clear or would just the person be in focus? I currently only have the kit lens 18-55mm VRii (3.5-5.8) lens so cant quite compare to lower f stop lenses.

I am interested in this sigma lenses low light ability, but am wondering if it cant have a regular wide angle look with everything in focus (objects at different distance), or will I have varying depth of field in every shot.

Last edited:
you're not going to get a deep focus with the aperture wide open in low light, no. thats not how lenses work.

if you want deep focus you need bright lights and to close the aperture.

Do you mean that if I put this sigma 18-35MM to the 18mm part, it still wont focus a whole room for example? The depth of field is still only maybe few feets (depending if the front area of camera or back wall is chosen) or something?

I was wondering if this sigma could replace several primes but if I cant get a whole room into view with everything in focus, then this isnt the lense. Was thinking of its low light capability but I guess it must be a higher aperture to get the whole room in focus with a person walking in it and bring in lights.

So basically a samyang/rokinon with an adjustable aperture ring could do the trick, like the "Rokinon 16mm T2.2 Cine ", due to crop factor that would be like 24mm so not superwide but a regular view.

Last edited:
Do you mean that if I put this sigma 18-35MM to the 18mm part, it still wont focus a whole room for example? The depth of field is still only maybe few feets (depending if the front area of camera or back wall is chosen) or something?

I was wondering if this sigma could replace several primes but if I cant get a whole room into view with everything in focus, then this isnt the lense. Was thinking of its low light capability but I guess it must be a higher aperture to get the whole room in focus with a person walking in it and bring in lights.

if you want deep focus without tons of light you need a camera with a tiny tiny sensor, like a cell phone camera.

at 18mm you can focus on a whole room, you can do it at 35mm too
but you're not going to do it with a 1.8 aperture

Ok thanks for your tips. Must study this thing more. Im searching for lenses for nikon D5200 and im going to film in forest and maybe at a little dark but I cant use low aperture if its only small stuff in focus at a time.

Hopefully this is all correct, if I'm wrong i'm sure someone else will chime in.. but yeah you can't have it all unfortunately. I don't think any lens is going to provide you with deep focus in low light.

the wider you go the easier it is to get deep focus, like 8mm. you can try renting a lens that is the best way to find out what you're really getting for your money.

Oh yea I was a bit stupid. I forgot you can change the aperture on lenses that have no manual aperture ring. I forgot it. D5200 can change aperture with the switches but you must switch live view on and off for the aperture to change on the lens, or to take a picture for it to change to the new settings. I forgot that this sigma 18-35mm will ofcourse have apertures of 20 something, you just have to do it through the menu.

Well cause my camera is D5200 and I might want to switch aperture in mid filming, this lense is now out of the "possible lenses to buy list"

Oh yea I was a bit stupid. I forgot you can change the aperture on lenses that have no manual aperture ring. I forgot it. D5200 can change aperture with the switches but you must switch live view on and off for the aperture to change on the lens, or to take a picture for it to change to the new settings. I forgot that this sigma 18-35mm will ofcourse have apertures of 20 something, you just have to do it through the menu.

Well cause my camera is D5200 and I might want to switch aperture in mid filming, this lense is now out of the "possible lenses to buy list"

Yeah you can close the aperture but then you will need a lot more light.

I don't think anyone ever changes apertures mid shooting.. it alters the exposure and will be strange for the audience.

Maybe if you are going from indoors to outdoors you might be able to pull that off but it would be quite a challenge.

Back