• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch New Short Film (Silenced)

You have the link to that trailer-thread you posted earlier?

Right off the bat, I'll just say that lighting was terrible.

It is very interesting overall, though, and I'll write up more in a day or two. I need to think about this one, for a bit.

Tonnes of tecnical flaws... but it's the story I'm more interested in. Have to re-watch this.

This is also my first narrative. All of the other work that i have done is more observant (like a documentary or a video of an event.) So this is my first film with an actual story.

I thought a few of the bits done in AfterEffects (was it AFX?) were pretty good...

However I'm not sold on the out of focus look especially when the lighting's not that great. It seems to work quite well at the start on the bit with the internet conversation, but after that it just makes the film seem sloppy. I realise at some point you said it was your style, but it feels like a very forced style, and I'm not sure it benefits the film in any way. I appreciate that you were limited by your lack of kit, but you must have known that when you started, so even having an extra table lamp to hand, or shooting nearer a window might have helped.

I found the story intriguing. It reminded me of something along the lines of Enemy of the State, or Conspiracy Theory, and it seemed fairly strong at times, the only thing I really wasn't sure about was the random text pop-ups which accompanied it. They seemed to break the flow a bit, do you mind if I asked why you added them?

Apart from that, good first effort. But the one thing I would advise against next time is a teaser that shows no actual footage... It works for the bigger companies with franchises like Batman or The Simpsons, but as an indie filmmaker, you really need to sell people your idea with the film itself.

Last edited:
Yeah, they were partially because of bad volume leveling, but also I wanted to reiterate and emphasize on certain words, kind of like Man On Fire. What exactly do you mean by it coming on strong. I think I know what you mean, but I don't want to misunderstand you.

I also used a lot of out of focus on the part where I knock out the assassin because, I had to play both of them. So since I "cloned" myself, I had to make it look believable and avoid the clipping that would have ensued if it was totally clear.

More angles for sure. The camera is a powerful story-telling tool. With the right emphasis, reveals, and overall visual composition, you can manipulate how the audience will perceive your story, who they root for, how they identify with the character's and their struggles. Instead of casting yourself in every part, thereby severely limiting the story, you should shoot your next film with other people and try to tell the story solely through visual.

To be honest i didn't say anything about coming on strong at all, so I have no idea where you got that from... I did however say that the film seemed like it was based on a strong idea - so I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about. It seems pretty self explanatory...

And whilst I understand using out-of-focus shots may be a nifty shortcut, I don't understand why you couldn't just have used another actor for the role of the assassin. There's not always a desperate need to find yourself a style to quickly, especially not one that could easily be mistaken for poor production values.

To Mac V, I understand that I should do a movie with several roles, but I didn't have anybody (not even friends) who would be able to devote their time to shooting a film. I had to do it all myself unfortunately.

To be honest i didn't say anything about coming on strong at all, so I have no idea where you got that from... I did however say that the film seemed like it was based on a strong idea - so I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about. It seems pretty self explanatory...

And whilst I understand using out-of-focus shots may be a nifty shortcut, I don't understand why you couldn't just have used another actor for the role of the assassin. There's not always a desperate need to find yourself a style to quickly, especially not one that could easily be mistaken for poor production values.

Like I stated earlier, there was NO ONE that I knew who could commit to playing the role in my movie.

Well, thats why film school is great. You need to know people who want to shoot with you. But I mean, even film students have to go out and get actors they have never met before. Post wanted ads on the internet, around town. There is always somebody who will want to do your film, and do it professionally. You have to push yourself to network and find these people; these kinds of skills are just as essential to filmmaking as directing, editing, cinematography and so forth.

Well, thats why film school is great. You need to know people who want to shoot with you. But I mean, even film students have to go out and get actors they have never met before. Post wanted ads on the internet, around town. There is always somebody who will want to do your film, and do it professionally. You have to push yourself to network and find these people; these kinds of skills are just as essential to filmmaking as directing, editing, cinematography and so forth.

Unfortunately, I am not in Film School yet. I don't have too many resources. I needed to make this film to send with my application to film school within BIOLA University (where I attend). I just don't have those connections yet. I know my way around things, I was just being very experimental with this film. I know what I am doing.

Hi film addict...I'll try to offer my critique but know that my style is much more understated so I have a natural bias to that kind of narrative. But I'll offer what I can and will just list some things as I watch, stream of conscious like...

I like the superimposed IM's...I think it was a very creative idea given your limited resources. Most importantly, its something I haven't seen before. It's unique and effective here at the beginning at least, so props on that.

I don't like the intro. It's very, overdone I guess is a good word. It's like one of those TNT "The Closer" promos. It could work if you had a higher budget and production (maybe), but when you get into the first scene, it just doesn't flow very well IMO. Also, the part about Yankee Stadium, they closed it this year. I don't know what the new one they built is called (maybe it's Yankee Stadium too, if so my apologies). But if it's something different, always be careful to do your homework so people can't nitpick.

Right now here at the beginning, the lighting is fine. I saw the other comments above, so if its like this throughout probably not good, but it seems alright stylistically for this first scene.

CUT TO: shot of your keyboard. I don't like the angle. My eye naturally wants to read what is on your keyboard. I know there is no way I can read it all...but its human nature to want to take that information in and absorb it as best as possible. EVERYONE in your audience is going to be frustrated by not being able to read whats on your computer or at least see it better. Because it's a close-up. If you were further out, probably wouldn't be as big a deal.

CUT BACK TO: you on IM again. The lighting is worse now. I actually like the hue and style, but you can still light it better and keep that look. Again, I like the IM idea. I like how you slowed down one part, but very frustrated that you sped another IM up so fast I could barely read it all before it faded.

At this point, the acting has lost my interest. It seems like a head roll every other minute. Change it up a bit, give the eye and mind something else to absorb. Detail, detail, detail. The story seems drawn out at this point too, so I'm hoping to get some information very soon.

Now you brought one of the IMs out from the side. I didn't like it so much. I know you were trying to mix it up a bit, which is good, but I think some acting would accomplish this better than changing up the graphics. I'm old fashioned like that.

The super close-ups now of the communique between "President" and "Mayer" are too close, too shaky. Would it really say "President"? Scrolling down the screen dramatically, beat by beat, would've worked better IMO.

Now the phone calls. The phone ring is cool, I think it would be even cooler if you allowed for more repitition. Maybe allowing it to ring longer, maybe another beat with the caller. Movies are sound too. Speaking of which, the sound of the disembodied voice isn't consistent as it's louder on the second call than on the first. Just something technical.

The end (or close to it) was my least favorite part. Inside the house, the lighting wasn't good but worse was the shaking. I feel like I'm going to get nauseous if I stare at the screen too long. I really hope you find a different way to do this sequence.

All in all, I like the superimposed IM's a lot w/ the cam facing you. Combined with the hue, I thought it was creative and a good looking shot if it was lit better. Good use of your resources there and like I said creative. I didn't find the story interesting at all. A bomb plot involving the president...ok, you could do something with that. But the story had no substance beyond cliche pitch. No depth to the characters or story at all. I realize if you do too many of the IM's you risk being too repetitive and boring the audience after so long....so how about a phone call from your buddy? You don't even have to the other person talking on the other end. If you write it correctly, the message of the conversation can be properly conveyed from your words alone. Combined with the IM's, you'd give yourself more time add in a bit more substance without boring the audience on the same shot over and over.

I think posting a recut is an excellent idea if you get around to it. I hope some of this helps. Best of luck.

No problem FA. I'll disagree with some others on this post about doing the whole thing yourself. Do you want to do every project yourself? Definitely no...but given your restrictions, you made the best of the situation and got it done. Nothing wrong with doing one project solo and seeing how it goes IMO. Most importantly, you got it done, quite an accomplishment. Some parts were good, others needed more work. You learn some things, and your next project should usually be better than your last one.

Best of luck.

I'm sure you do, and this was a constructive attempt. Sure, I teased ya about having a silly teaser trailer, but I'm talkin about the future right now. You gotta make more movies, but in your next one get behind the camera, and that means getting people to act for you. I wanna see some camera movement. Anybody would tell ya that. You gotta give yourself full opportunity to tell a story creatively.

Anyways, if you are still strapped for anybody but your lonesome, you could still make it easier on yourself and have only one character. Why not a story of a guy who locks himself out of his car/house/etc? You'd seriously need one person for that, and you could really focus on telling a story visually. Film schools would eat that shit up.

I'm sure you do, and this was a constructive attempt. Sure, I teased ya about having a silly teaser trailer, but I'm talkin about the future right now. You gotta make more movies, but in your next one get behind the camera, and that means getting people to act for you. I wanna see some camera movement. Anybody would tell ya that. You gotta give yourself full opportunity to tell a story creatively.

Anyways, if you are still strapped for anybody but your lonesome, you could still make it easier on yourself and have only one character. Why not a story of a guy who locks himself out of his car/house/etc? You'd seriously need one person for that, and you could really focus on telling a story visually. Film schools would eat that shit up.

I'll take you up on that one.....

Back