New lens seems very dark?

Hi guys

So I recently bought a Canon 24-105mm f/4.0 lens for my Canon 550D, but the lens seems very dark. If I'm trying to shoot around 3 pm (it gets dark 5 pm here atm), it will still be very dark even though it isn't even night yet.

The lens seems to require atleast 6400 ISO to shoot in this darkness (it isn't even THAT dark around 3 pm), and if I set it to 6400 ISO the footage will obviously be really noisy (which is like my least favourable thing to aim for).

So my question is if I'm doing something wrong and how I solve this problem?? My shutter speed is set to 1/50 btw.

Thanks in advance!

4.0 value is no good for low light shooting, but I think at least in the daylight you should be able to use the lens correctly. What aperture value did you use? is there a filter attached to the lens?

4.0 value is no good for low light shooting, but I think at least in the daylight you should be able to use the lens correctly. What aperture value did you use? is there a filter attached to the lens?

The aperture on 24-105mm is constant at f/4.0. I did not use any filter nope.

one reason is because the lens was designed for FF sensors, which have better Low Light capabilities, your camera is APSC which is cropped.
therefore F4 on a 5dmk 2/3 or 6D will be brighter than F4 on your camera, F4 is pretty dark around 3pm anyways, you really want 2.8 or faster at that time.

one reason is because the lens was designed for FF sensors, which have better Low Light capabilities, your camera is APSC which is cropped.
therefore F4 on a 5dmk 2/3 or 6D will be brighter than F4 on your camera, F4 is pretty dark around 3pm anyways, you really want 2.8 or faster at that time.

That makes great sense. Thank you, even though it's too bad (for me, that is :D).

I dont THINK this is true.. maybe in the aggregate??? you have a larger sensor, you have more pixels pickup light?? sure.. but the AMOUNT of light hitting a particular pixel is no different.

F4 is just slow. However, aperture is not the only thing that effects light sensitivity. In film they call it ASA, but on digital we mostly call it ISO. Increase your ISO setting to make your sensor more sensitive to light. You will want to experiment with different settings, increasing the ISO will add noise to your image, but you might be surprised how far you can push it before it looks bad.

Shutter speed also affects how sensitive to light your image is. You need to play with this too to learn how it affects the light sensitivity but more importantly the look of the footage. Google the concept of 1/4 shutter to understand how this works in cinema.

I dont THINK this is true.. maybe in the aggregate??? you have a larger sensor, you have more pixels pickup light?? sure.. but the AMOUNT of light hitting a particular pixel is no different.

F4 is just slow. However, aperture is not the only thing that effects light sensitivity. In film they call it ASA, but on digital we mostly call it ISO. Increase your ISO setting to make your sensor more sensitive to light. You will want to experiment with different settings, increasing the ISO will add noise to your image, but you might be surprised how far you can push it before it looks bad.

Shutter speed also affects how sensitive to light your image is. You need to play with this too to learn how it affects the light sensitivity but more importantly the look of the footage. Google the concept of 1/4 shutter to understand how this works in cinema.

ah your right i stand corrected, the light is no different, but a FF will perform better at higher ISO's due to the sensor, much like the a7s.

Are you setting your aperture correctly? I would find it surprising that you're unable to shoot at f/4.0 in daylight - depending on the conditions of course, I've never been to Denmark.

Do you have your exposure set to manual?

Back