New lens and adapter!

Okay, so I have a Panasonic tm900, and I needed a more shallow depth of field. I was concerned about prices of a great lens and an adapter, so I borrowed a canon 7d from my buddy who's obsessed with dslr cameras. I figured what the hell, I'll try it out and decide whether or not I want to go cheap with dslr. Honestly, and I hope none are offended, but didn't enjoy the camera's imagery. It has that Canon look that I don't like. So, I borrowed another dslr from him. It was a Nikon d7000. I didn't enjoy that one, either. Then, I came across a youtube video of someone using a tm700 with an rt4 rotating adapter, and an asahi pentax super takumar 50mm f1.4, and a Yashica 50mm ML 1.7. That was the look I wanted. Needless to say, I bought the rt4 rotating adapter, yashica 50 mm and a tokina 28mm for $350 and, it looks incredible! I'm not hating on dslr cameras at all! They are incredible. I just love the feel of the tm900, and the great colors and crisp images it produces. I only had to adjust contrast when I uploaded it into Vegas. Anyway, I'm just pumped about it.

35mm adapters are cool. I had a similar setup on my canon Viax hfs100.

To be fair, you did not try the super tak on the 7D, or the nikon.. thats a big part of it.

The camcorder takes some manual work away from you, for example, Im sure your exposure controls are much more limited. I don't know your experience level, but it was the need for more control that drove me to DSLR. Once I understood that I was spending more time wrestling to get good exposure vs. noise I moved on. There is also light loss from the adapter, about 2 stops.

Not hating on 35mm adapters, but there is a reason why they are selling cheaper and cheaper and the big makers are getting out of the business.

Good bit is that your out very little pocket change. Once you do decide to retire the tm9000 youll be able to keep all the old lenses you find and adapt them to what ever new camera system you chose.

Hey, man I realize you aren't hating on them. Besides, it's your opinion and you are justifying your reasons with concrete facts that I agree with. It was the look that my setup gave me before any post work, that drew me to it. It's the look I've envisioned since I began photography as a child. Gregory Rerberg's cinematography in "Stalker", is the closest I can describe it. I've had many years of experience with cameras, and many call me crazy for using this setup. The DP on our current project said "Do play Atari, and watch television on a painted rock?" To each his own, I guess hahaha

Back