New Girl Here

Hey guys!

Great to be here! Finally decided to take the plunge and become a filmmaker. Don't know why it's taken me so long to decide, but better late than never I guess! I'm basically here to learn and soak up as much knowledge as possible.

I started out wanting to be a screenwriter. Took some classes and I'm presently working on a script. But I think it's time I start branching out. I'd like to start making shorts. I'm actually in the market for a camera. I've been reading that the Canon Rebel DSLR's are the way to go for a beginner on a small budget. I'm thinking about the Canon Rebel 5i but I need to find out more about it. I know absolutely NOTHING about cameras! But I'm willing to learn. If you can recommend a good book about DSLR's for filmmaking, I'm all ears.

Anyway, this looks like a pretty cool forum and I look forward to learning and participating. Thanks! :)

:):) hi hi, welcome! I am completely new to a lot of this myself but I picked up a Panasonic G7 from Best Buy and love it.

I've read a lot of forum posts and reviews stating how great it is for the price. I got mine for $499.99 last weekend.

Good luck!

Welcome! I'm one of the audio folks here. Below you'll find my audio mantras.

In addition I will, at the outset, give you my very old-school advice. Go out and work on other projects in whatever capacity you can. You'll learn real world indie filmmaking lessons - both positive and negative - at someone else's expense. You will also be building your filmmaking network.

"If you don't use it every day you probably shouldn't own it." This is advice from one of my mentors. Once you're ready to direct your script (if you follow the above advice) you'll hopefully already know many of the people you want to work on your film. Many of them will have equipment. Why buy what someone else already has. You want to direct, correct?

Others will have contrary advice, I'm sure. So on with my audio admonitions…..

At the small-budget indie level every dollar/minute you spend on production sound saves you ten in audio post.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.
If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.
Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and for all the advice!

The script that I'm currently working on is for a full feature and I would rather work with a more seasoned director for that than tackle something so daunting on my own!

As writers know all too well, writing can become isolating and confining. At least it is for me! Don't get me wrong. As an intuitive writer I love getting lost inside the worlds that I am creating. But I also need to feel energized and excited about trying something new and challenging which allows me to explore another aspect of my creativity.

I have worked on some shoots, but I think in some ways I was using those opportunities to hide from trying out things on my own. Maybe it was a fear of failure? I don't know. But my gut is now is telling me to strike out on my own and at least learn the basics and see what I can come up with. Plus I think learning about cameras and setting up shots, will also help to enhance my writing. I can still go out on shoots and network, and at the same time learn to shoot with my own camera.

So, although what you say makes perfect sense AlcoveAudio, at the present moment I feel this is something that I need to explore and which has been way over due for me. But I certainly appreciate your old world advice!

ZMY - Glad to hear you're happy with your new camera! Since I am a beginner and on a budget, I've been reading many recommendations for the Canon DSLR Rebel series. What features do you like / dislike about the Panasonic? Is there a link to your posts? I'd be curious to read up on your review.

Thanks again guys!. See you around the forum! :)

Back