new director filming music video

I just got my first directing gig doing a music video with a tight budget. I was wondering if the Canon XL-H1 with a P+S Technik mini 35 digital adapter would be a good camera to rent for this shoot. I would really like this project to have the look of film. And is this camera easy to operate, I am gong to try to find or hire someone for cheap obviously to help me work it, but overall is this a good route to go?

There is a lot more to getting a filmic look than just a shallow depth of field, but yes given that kit it could work out nicely.

I'd suggest trying to find a cinematographer that has a camera/etc though, as they'll know all the ins and outs of the camera..

Proper lighting is going to go further for a film look than shallow depth of field, but the two combined -- along with properly motivated camera moves and good blocking will nail it.

and good acting and set design + makeup...every piece of the puzzle has to be in place to get the "film look". Spend time on all of them as well as getting people (even if it means shooting more stuff yourself to get the experience to make it look good) who have screwed up enough and corrected their problems to be competent or even good!

Test shoot lots, the kit is only as good as the operator.

Thanks, good to know, is lighting going to be difficult shooting an int. club scene? Ive unexpectingly become the producer/Director on this project and I really want to be as professional as possible and have this run smothly.

Without seeing the club it's hard to say for certain. But, to have it look good don't try to rely on the practical lighting.

Light the room so your shots can have an even exposure, this will help deal with the latitude limitations of the digital format, then color correct to darken what needs darkening, etc..

You don't want to over expose anything, but you also don't want to underexpose anything -- you'll need enough light so that you don't have to rely on the camera's gain to get proper exposure. Typically with a 35mm adapter you'll need more light than without one, as the extra glass will eat a decent chunk of your light. You might do well to plan the shots to be small, so you have less to light for any given shot.

Thanks guys, I really Appreciate it, if you know anyone that could do the job in LA for little pay let me know
What are the shoot dates?
How "little" is your definition of little pay?
What is the band?
What club are you shooting in?
Do you have a budget for a light/grip kit to get a pro look or are you relying on the camera and lens adaptor to get the pro look?

Yea you will need a decent light/grip kit, also the quality of your finished projects depends on the quality of equipments you're using, however there are different factors which should be applied to bring the high-end results and a professional look.

Back