NetFlix and "throttling"

Beeblebrox said:
I've definitely been a victim of throttling and I have to say that all of these reports do taint the company for me. I was a huge Netflix advocate and now I probably wouldn't recommend them. However, I will keep subscribing myself until a better alternative comes around.

I believe in the power of the boycott. If you are that displeased with the service stop giving them your money.

I think...

Mikey D said:
Is netflix really loosing money because so many people are working the hell out of their mail carriers or is netflix just really trying to squeeze every penny for profit in order to maintain there growth goals.
You hit the nail on the head.

filmy

Mikey D said:
I believe in the power of the boycott. If you are that displeased with the service stop giving them your money.

Let's just say I'm not displeased enough. I'm not going to demand that every company that takes my money be perfect. I do have my limits (I'll never shop at Best Buy ever again), but right now the pros of Netflix outweigh the cons. That may not always be the case, but for the moment it is.

I've thought about this for a month or two: After all the DVDs in my netflix queue have been returned, I'll cancel my account, making sure THEY KNOW WHY I cancelled. I was also considering filing a complaint with the FTC.

I'm less than 10 miles from a distribution center. It shouldn't take a 4-5 days for them to send me an email saying "We just received [TITLE]" (emphasis mine) and ship out another title that I'll receive in 3 or 4 days.

Every time I send a title back, its replacement arrives a week and a half later. Total BS.

mrde50 said:
I've thought about this for a month or two: After all the DVDs in my netflix queue have been returned, I'll cancel my account, making sure THEY KNOW WHY I cancelled. I was also considering filing a complaint with the FTC.
I'm less than 10 miles from a distribution center. It shouldn't take a 4-5 days for them to send me an email saying "We just received [TITLE]" (emphasis mine) and ship out another title that I'll receive in 3 or 4 days.
Every time I send a title back, its replacement arrives a week and a half later. Total BS.

If they have a call center, you could probably call, threaten to cancel because of the throttling, and thier retention team would probably offer you a bunch of free stuff, or remove the throttle. Give that a try- just pay attention to what they tell you (it's all scripted, so make sure they repeat what they say if you don't understand- the scripts are badly written to hide catches). I'd try and see what else you can get out of them (for revenge) before cancelling. The CEO's will get weekly reports to see how many people call to cancel, as well as how many take the free stuff and then leave anyway. That's probably the best way to send a message.

FWIW, I don't see how anyone has that much free time a month or how you could possibly continue to rent new movies which don't suck. There are only so many good ones out there!

Shaw said:
FWIW, I don't see how anyone has that much free time a month or how you could possibly continue to rent new movies which don't suck. There are only so many good ones out there!

Even the bad ones can teach you something. I recently purchased (previously viewed) a *really* low budget horror film. I learned alot about what not to do to tell a story using it as an example. Too much time with background music and the actors driving is a bad thing! This flick had nearly an hour of it if you were to put it all together. it was a 90 minute film.

Benny Hill.

You remember in the "Gary Busey, Billy Zane" thread I mentioned that we Brits had invented most of the evil in the world ... I forgot to include that one.

... for this, on behalf of my nation ... I truely, truely apologise :bag:

Benny Hill... evil?

Only if you're an avid [INSERT PRISTINE LIFESTYLE HERE]. The rest of humanity is quite happy Benny Hill existed.

If it weren't for Benny, I would have never seen my first
set of breasts
at the age of 8.

mrde50 said:

That's one of the reasons I cancelled.

mrde50 said:
The best evidence I've seen of "throttling" by Netflix is defined by the overload of data found on this page: http://www.dvd-rent-test.dreamhost.com.
In the three accounts I've had with Netflix in the past, I have to say, his results are right on the money. Netflix really does discrimate and favors new accounts. Well, I don't need to add anything really if you've seen the website...

Spatula said:
If they have a call center, you could probably call, threaten to cancel because of the throttling, and thier retention team would probably offer you a bunch of free stuff, or remove the throttle. Give that a try- just pay attention to what they tell you (it's all scripted, so make sure they repeat what they say if you don't understand- the scripts are badly written to hide catches). I'd try and see what else you can get out of them (for revenge) before cancelling. The CEO's will get weekly reports to see how many people call to cancel, as well as how many take the free stuff and then leave anyway. That's probably the best way to send a message.

This also works especially well with cell phone and internet companies.

Does anyone have any contact information for Netflix other than the corporate office that Will mentioned in the Netflix distribution thread?

Okay, now I'm really upset. Now, Netflix is doing something downright dirty.

Now they're outright removing titles from my queue and not listing them as an available title for me to add back to my queue.

However, other friends of mine who are not heavy users can see the titles as "available" and can add them to the queue.

I'm definately calling shenanigans on this type of behavior. Should I call them and ask them why they're doing this to ME? Should I use the word DISCRIMINATION?

What's your opinions? I'd love to hear them. I'm not going to call them yet, I'd like to get a larger feel of what you think first.

Whatever happened to customer loyalty? I thought you were supposed to get MORE perks if you used a service often... how odd..

mrde50 said:
Should I call them and ask them why they're doing this to ME? Should I use the word DISCRIMINATION?

Um, yes I think you should call, and soon. But yelling "discrimination" is a knee jerk reaction. You never know if there was some type of computer error.

Poke

I'm going to wait until I get the few remaining titles I have in my queue because I can't rent them locally. Once I get the "We're received..." email on these titles, then I'll slap them around on the phone.

I think I should drop the word COMPLAINT and the letters F.T.C. while I'm at it.

After all DVD titles had been returned and I received an email receipt that they've been returned, I called Netflix and complained.

Here's a summary of what they said (read from a script):
  • They do not throttle customers even though they admitted to it in a press release and it's in their TOS.
  • The USPS is to blame for my long waits of up to a week and a half (I live around 10 miles from the Netflix shipping facility, less than 10 miles from the USPS sorting facility).
  • They have the absolute best customer service record in the industry. :lol:
  • They reason they didn't receive my DVDs in a timely manner is because I was slow in sending them out. (Most titles got shipped back in a day or two).
  • Everything is my fault. Netflix is innocent.
Netflix: CANCELLED.

Throttle back...

mrde50 said:
After all DVD titles had been returned and I received an email receipt that they've been returned, I called Netflix and complained.

Here's a summary of what they said (read from a script):
  • They do not throttle customers even though they admitted to it in a press release and it's in their TOS.
  • The USPS is to blame for my long waits of up to a week and a half (I live around 10 miles from the Netflix shipping facility, less than 10 miles from the USPS sorting facility).
  • They have the absolute best customer service record in the industry. :lol:
  • They reason they didn't receive my DVDs in a timely manner is because I was slow in sending them out. (Most titles got shipped back in a day or two).
  • Everything is my fault. Netflix is innocent.
Netflix: CANCELLED.
While I have yet to cancel my subscription, that response from NetFlix is such a load of bs... LOL.

I've been experimenting lately and all of a sudden, I'm enjoying my NetFlix subscription even a little more lately...

I figured if they wanna throttle then I will HOLD THEM accountable... I almost never receive my NetFlix DVDs when their email says I'm going to...

So... What I do now is go into my NetFlix account and report the problem... As soon as a DVD is not in the mail the day they are telling me it should be here, I report it lost in the mail...

However, I do not tell them to send out the same DVD(s)... Instead, I click the little radio button that tells them to mail the next DVDs in my queue...

Works like a charm... Sometimes I've gotten all 8 DVDs at the same time...

I never report a problem unless I do not receive the DVD(s) on the day they say I'm supposed to. So far, this has happened more than it's not happened and I report the problem and NetFlix sends out the next set of DVDs in my queue.

Anybody know anything about the BlockBuster service? I hear it's actually better in that you can get up to 3 DVDs at a time but since BlockBuster supposedly throws in some free rental coupons redeemable at your local BlockBuster which makes it a little more palatable...

Anybody know?

filmy

Back