Nerdy Time Travel question

I am currently working on my new short film which is a fantasy/science fiction short and I want to understand something and have your thoughts on it .

Let's say me and Steven Spielberg talk in a cafe .Then as I leave the cafe later I somehow time travel into the past and I see myself from other table talking to Steven Spielberg .

But every time I teleport there is a beam of light .

Now should my character be affected by the beam the first time before he found the device because his future him found the device and came back .

Or should there be no beam the first time and just the second as he travels back .

How do you think is the proper way ?

Did you got what I was asking ? I am not sure that I'm understanding it either .

I was doing research the whole night and day on time travel and now my brain starts messing with me .

Thanks .

How do you think is the proper way ?
A) Sticking with the story premise as-is, what is the exact source of the light itself?

B) What is the precise method of time travel? Machine? Magic wand/item? Other?

C) Is the beam critical to the story? Will the story fail if that element is removed.

A) Sticking with the story premise as-is, what is the exact source of the light itself?

B) What is the precise method of time travel? Machine? Magic wand/item? Other?

C) Is the beam critical to the story? Will the story fail if that element is removed.

It is a small machine . Once you turn it on it ,it starts blinking and shining with light and all that.

I can remove the beam with no problem the thing is that I am not sure if the guy who finds the device should experience the same things that his past '' HIM " will experience once he teleported into the past .

I am not sure how time travel science work O.o .

It doesn't matter how time-travel "really" works. What matters is your story and the reality of the world in which your characters exist. You make up the rules, just keep it consistent.

Does your character see the light? You tell us. Does the light really need to be there? Probably not, so consider removing that element.

reading what you've written though, it doesn't really make too much sense... You're travelling back in time, somehow seeing this light... But you didn't enter the machine? Somehow a future you is sending you back in time, not travelling through time themselves... I don't quite get what you're trying to do....

As I said though, do as you please. Keep it consistent. Keep it realistic (within the constraints of your story).

It is a small machine . Once you turn it on it ,it starts blinking and shining with light and all that.

... I am not sure if the guy who finds the device should experience the same things that his past '' HIM " will experience once he teleported into the past .
So, the machine isn't big enough to get into, it's just a "larger than a breadbox, smaller than a phone booth" sort of thing.
Anyone within its sphere of influence or touching it goes back or forth in time.

And when these events happen the machine emits a bright light (for whatever scientific principles. :D)

If so, then "Okay!"

I guess it would depend upon the genré of the story.
If it's a comedy or light humor then definitely have the destination experience a flash of light, past self or others.
But if this is a drama or "some serious sh!t" story :rolleyes: then maybe there shouldn't be some dorky flash of light at the destination. The character just phases into the past or future, time machine in tow. :yes:

tumblr_mmqvu4Pck71qa70eyo1_500.gif
vs.
treknobabble50_5.jpg

I think the reason you had a difficult time researching how time travel "works" is because it's fake and made-up.

You do it how you want! :)

That being said, from a narrative perspective, I think it'd be important to establish how the time travel looks and sounds. Your audience might get confused if the time travel doesn't have a consistent look/sound every time it happens. I'd go ahead and use the beam of light on the first go-round.

Time travel logic in films and books usually is different.

Time travel rules in film are different. Time Travel in films like Back to the Future, 12 Monkeys, Looper, Primer, Time Machine and The Terminator worked differently. Come up with your own time travel "rules".

Also, I highly recommend the King novel 11/22/63, probably my favorite work by him, besides Carrie.

Actually, time travel needs to follow Dr. Kaku's String Theory to be correct. Time and Space exists in parallel universes and we can enter one by going through a black hole and coming out of a white hole into another strand of time.

Look it up with Google. Dr. Kaku's String Theory is the accepted theory used in Science Fiction these days by science fiction writers, films, and TV shows.

Actually, time travel needs to follow Dr. Kaku's String Theory to be correct. Time and Space exists in parallel universes and we can enter one by going through a black hole and coming out of a white hole into another strand of time.

Look it up with Google. Dr. Kaku's String Theory is the accepted theory used in Science Fiction these days by science fiction writers, films, and TV shows.

I want to thank everyone who got involved in the thread .

I would like more specifically thank you sir because you answered exactly what I was asking for . Thanks a lot .

Science Fiction.

Science fiction and fantasy films don't have to be correct. They are fictional.

Also, time travel films have had differences.

For example...

Some go back to the age they were at the time, other times they go back in time the same age they are before they went back in time. Some resume what situation they were at at that moment, others don't.

Science Fiction.

Science fiction and fantasy films don't have to be correct. They are fictional.

Also, time travel films have had differences.

For example...

Some go back to the age they were at the time, other times they go back in time the same age they are before they went back in time. Some resume what situation they were at at that moment, others don't.

Brother, I am on several science fiction writers and filmmakers groups. The "Science Fiction" writers and filmmakers have such day jobs as engineers and scientists for NASA, universities, and high tech industries. I too have a day job with a high tech industry.

If you ever tried to make a fantasy out of something that is science fiction, most of the members would verbally lynch you. These people want everything so correct, they made several corrections to my theory about the Neanderthal Man was not destroyed by the Cro-Magno Man, but rather mated with them which is why at the same time both species either changed or vanished. They told me I had a hypothesis and not a theory and made several scientific corrections, but agreed my hypothesis is something that very likely happened.

Brother, I am on several science fiction writers and filmmakers groups. The "Science Fiction" writers and filmmakers have such day jobs as engineers and scientists for NASA, universities, and high tech industries. I too have a day job with a high tech industry.

If you ever tried to make a fantasy out of something that is science fiction, most of the members would verbally lynch you. These people want everything so correct, they made several corrections to my theory about the Neanderthal Man was not destroyed by the Cro-Magno Man, but rather mated with them which is why at the same time both species either changed or vanished. They told me I had a hypothesis and not a theory and made several scientific corrections, but agreed my hypothesis is something that very likely happened.

sci·ence fic·tion
noun
fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets.

This is an interesting thing I found that shows 3 different types of time travel in films.

bc8Du.jpg

Obviously, you do have more knowledge about science fiction filmmaking and writing, but should science fiction films be geared towards science fiction writers and directors who work for NASA and high tech industries? Or should science fiction films be made for average movie goers and film fans?

I thought the whole point of science fiction films is telling "fictional stories based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes".

Is Star Wars a "correct" film?
Is The Matrix a "correct" film?
Is Riddick a "correct" film?

I'm not asking that in a sarcastic way or trying to prove you wrong, I just want to pick your brains for knowledge.

Last edited:
If you get the animated Justice League Unlimited DVD Set, there are BTS videos about how NASA scientists informed DC Comics that it is scientifically impossible for the scene in Superman The Movie for Superman to fly so.fast that the Earth's orbit would reverse itself and time would reverse itself. If you saw Smallville, The Justice League Unlumited, or even the recent.Superman Unbound Blu-Ray movie, the old concept that Superman can fly so fast he can travel through time was dropped and replaced by worm hole theories that Dr. Kaku showed us in his String Theory presentation.

Even fiction writers want scientific accuracy.

Back