Need your help please, it's urgent - Importing in Premiere

Hello guys.

Ok i work for a company that shoot and edit some events. In my workplace we edit in Final Cut and we shoot with a PMW-200. We use the XDCAM Transfer to convert the video files to MOV so we can import and work them in Final Cut.
By this time, we are overloaded with work and i brought some of the videos i shoot (and already converted in MOV) to my home so i can edit this weekend. But here i use Premiere Pro, i dont have Final Cut because i only have PC's.

Now the problem is, when i import the video files it say that it doesn't support it. Curiously sometimes i edit some MOV imported videos and i never have problems, but they're recorded with a DSLR.

I've tried to upgrade QuickTime and when i open the videos, i get sound but no picture. After that i tried to import again but seems like a codec is missing but i've tried several and nothing worked.

Then i use a software called Format Factory to try to convert the filmes to MP4 format. It did 50% of the job because altough i can now import the video files, i only get the sound from the interviews.

I really need your help, i'm concerned that i can't solve this in time.

Thanks!

Hello guys.

Ok i work for a company that shoot and edit some events. In my workplace we edit in Final Cut and we shoot with a PMW-200. We use the XDCAM Transfer to convert the video files to MOV so we can import and work them in Final Cut.
By this time, we are overloaded with work and i brought some of the videos i shoot (and already converted in MOV) to my home so i can edit this weekend. But here i use Premiere Pro, i dont have Final Cut because i only have PC's.

Now the problem is, when i import the video files it say that it doesn't support it. Curiously sometimes i edit some MOV imported videos and i never have problems, but it's recorder with a DSLR.

I've tried to upgrade QuickTime and when i open the video, i get sound but no picture. After that i tried to import again but seems like a codec is missing but i've tried several and nothing worked.

Then i use a software called Format Factory to try to convert the filmes to MP4 format. It did 50% of the job because altough i can now import the video files, i only get the sound from the interviews.

I really need your help, i'm concerned that i can't solve this in time.

Thanks!

If you have Premiere Pro, you should have Adobe Media Encoder. I use that all the time, to convert DSLR h264 .mov files into mpeg2 files - which are a snap for Prem Pro to handle.

Thank you Zensteve.

Do you think it will work and convert these MOV videos effectively?

I'll try it, i have to shoot something now but i'll tell something tomorrow.

Thanks for your help

MOV is just a container.. it tells us nothing about the codec. Though it's probably a fairly safe bet it's ProRes.

Install this and try to open those files in premiere again: http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_Windows

That will let you read prores on windows, but you won't be able to encode prores. As such, you should probably plan on either exporting an EDL to bring back to work and render the edit there, or render out to an image sequence (TIFF probably) so you don't lose any quality, and then rerender that to the desired output format at work.

Unless the output is a more universal format that you can encode with premiere/adobe media encoder. Also, it's probably worth noting, Premiere doesn't support outputting any higher than 10bit color, so if this is destined for color grading, you'll almost certainly want to go the EDL route, or open your premiere project file in After Effects and export from there, since it'll do 32bit color ;)

Last edited:
Thank you guys.

Unfortunately nothing worked. I dont know why my pc cant handle with this specific mov files.

I solved it but in a stupid, confusing and time consuming way. I imported the mov files (without quicktime installed because if i had it installed, i couldnt import) but all of them were just sound.
I then converted the files to MP4 but then i didn't get any sound. So i had both separately. I had sound from the original file and image from the converted ones. And obviously i cant export it in MOV. I dont know if Final Cut will import AVI or WMV.

I have to figure a way to solve this, because i'll certainly need to do more stuff like this in my place.

1) Which version of Premiere Pro do you have?

2) How did you import the files?
Just import the whole BPAV folder (or the folder containing that folder) as a folder.
That should work from CS4 till CC
You will still get a message about unsupported files, but those are .xlm files.
(And the good news: no need to transcode before editing in Premiere Pro :)

Hello.

I work with CS6

The problem is, if i import all the original videos from BPAV, wouldn´t it also import all of those folders with videos? That would be very time consuming because i would have to open the folder and to access the video.

I have to figure a way to solve this, because i'll certainly need to do more stuff like this in my place.

Export from work in a format that's more universal. Image sequence is probably the most universal. But h.264 would probably suffice, especially if you're just doing an edit and then exporting an EDL to bring back to the office for final render, etc.

At any rate, what you're really ideally looking for is a solid cross-platform proxy edit workflow.

My advice would be to call Adobe customer support. That's the quickest way to find out if what you're trying to do is impossible or if there is an actual problem with the software.

Hello.

I work with CS6

The problem is, if i import all the original videos from BPAV, wouldn´t it also import all of those folders with videos? That would be very time consuming because i would have to open the folder and to access the video.

Just try it!
You will see you will get one folder with all the video files. PPro recognizes the BPAV folder structure and imports all video files in 1 single folder.
No browsing like mad like in your OS/windows, but just a plain row of files.
(I wouldn't recommend it if it's too much trouble: I work with BPAV-folders all the time.)

If you have Quicktime installed you can export as .mov from PPro.

Back