Need to make decision Quick

I am shooting my first short starting Sunday, so I need to make some quick decisions. I have had a hard figuring out my workflow but through a lot of channels I plan to shoot on my HMC 150 import the files through NEOSCENE transfer over to FCP 6.

I plan on shooting 24fps, but my question is to either go with 1080 or 720.

The problem is FCP has no way to author the blue ray disc and I feel I am shooting 1080 and will never see it at it's full capability. Also I plan to have a slomo sequence so shooting the whole thing in 720/24p will allow me to shoot the slomo at 720/60p and easily put it back in the film after sending it to compressor. Also I do not have a blue ray burner anyway and have the Apple tv which would be nice to watch the film on for me (although not many others.)

That's the point, I am shooting this for me for the most part and do not know what I plan to do with it in the end. Maybe send it to some local festival.

So do I shoot the whole thing at 1080/24p and hope find someone with encore and a blue ray burner (or pay someone). and deal with interlacing the 1080/60i slomo footage?

My initial thought was I can only shoot once so I might as well shoot in the best quality possible and worry about having to downgrade if I have to.

But I now wonder if it is worth the potential gain in the end.

I know it's kinda up to me in the end, just looking for some input and opinions before I have to shoot.

Thanks

Using neoscen you can convert your 1080 60i to 24p. So you could just record EVERYTHING as 60i and only NOT covert those slowmo takes leaving them as 60i. You may want to test your camera, on my camera even shooting 24p still produces a 60i file that if I tell neoscene to "leave it alone" I end up with a 60i\30p file. So I select "convert to 24p" in neoscene even for footage shot as 24p.. yes IT IS confusing..

Also, you may want to consider keeping the MTS files. That way, if something goes iffy, you can always start with the footage as it came off the camera

Back