• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need Something Cleared Up

Hi guys,

So I have just one question in regards to script writing, capitalisation, when is it supposed to be used?

I know that with the first appearance of a character it is used, I mean more along the lines of during the description of actions etc. e.g "The glass dropped to the floor SMASHING in to pieces"

I read somewhere that it is just things that make sounds, also that it is actions.

Just need this one cleared up as it is quite confusing.

Many thanks :)

Format for scripts written on spec change. There are no hard rules that cannot
be broken. Since the mid 1990's more and more writers are dropping the format
of the shooting script and making their scripts easier on the readers eye. Anyone
who says you can't put sounds and actions in uppercase is a fool. Anyone who
says you must is desperately holding on to an old, out dated format.

As a reader of scripts I don't like it. I know many reader who are thrilled that
uppercase sounds, actions, props and emotions are no longer being used on a
regular basis. I'm not going to clear up your confusion and others will jump in
explaining why I am wrong, I can only tell you there are no rules about this. If
you like how that specific style looks then you can use it.

I'll use one, little anecdote: I have never met a reader who has said, "It was a
pretty good script but I passed because there weren't enough caps." But I have
met (and been there personally) several who have said, "It was a pretty good
script but I passed because the overuse of caps was distracting and I know my
boss wouldn't like the read."

Crazy? Yes. Unfair? Yes. And for the record I have never passed on an excellent
script that used too much uppercase nor do I know any ready who has.

Use uppercase if you feel your script will not be excellent, readable and (more
important) sellable without them. It's your choice - not a rule.

Format for scripts written on spec change. There are no hard rules that cannot
be broken. Since the mid 1990's more and more writers are dropping the format
of the shooting script and making their scripts easier on the readers eye. Anyone
who says you can't put sounds and actions in uppercase is a fool. Anyone who
says you must is desperately holding on to an old, out dated format.

As a reader of scripts I don't like it. I know many reader who are thrilled that
uppercase sounds, actions, props and emotions are no longer being used on a
regular basis. I'm not going to clear up your confusion and others will jump in
explaining why I am wrong, I can only tell you there are no rules about this. If
you like how that specific style looks then you can use it.

I'll use one, little anecdote: I have never met a reader who has said, "It was a
pretty good script but I passed because there weren't enough caps." But I have
met (and been there personally) several who have said, "It was a pretty good
script but I passed because the overuse of caps was distracting and I know my
boss wouldn't like the read."

Crazy? Yes. Unfair? Yes. And for the record I have never passed on an excellent
script that used too much uppercase nor do I know any ready who has.

Use uppercase if you feel your script will not be excellent, readable and (more
important) sellable without them. It's your choice - not a rule.

Thank you once again for your insights. That post was very helpful (also explains why I was so confused about it all)

I think that every now and then I like to use it, but there are times where it feels forced. I think I will just use what feel natural.

Maybe even keep them out of it all together, I did well enough without them so I guess I shouldn't fix what isn't broke.

Thanks again! :)

Personally, I don't use it, because it feels bizarre to me to try and highlight any one word from a line of action. If the script is clear to the director, then the crucial/impact parts should shine through, without capitalisation. Too much format based sign-posting is never good, in my opinion.

I agree 100% with Rik. When I started writing scripts, I used to capitalize all kinds of crap because all the professional scripts I read had all kinds of crap capitalized.

But most of those were shooting scripts, not unproduced specs. Now it's strictly slug lines, first appearance of a character's name, transitions (if applicable, which is rare), and occasionally for emphasis (also rare).

(BTW, I'm repped as a screenwriter by an L.A.-based manager who deals with the A-list prodcos., and he approves of that format.)

Scene Headings, Name when using Dialogue, Names (on first introduction), when someone is YELLING, and NOISE!

But go to SimplyScripts.com and read The Silver Linings Playbook. This writer caps A LOT!

You almost got it.

It's also used to mark a script element as a SHOT in a spec (kind of directing without directing)

i.e. Sally walks along --

A BIRD IN A TREE

-- and gets hit in the head by bird crap.

also, Transitions are capitalized on the right hand side of the page.

Hi guys,

So I have just one question in regards to script writing, capitalisation, when is it supposed to be used?

I know that with the first appearance of a character it is used, I mean more along the lines of during the description of actions etc. e.g "The glass dropped to the floor SMASHING in to pieces"

I read somewhere that it is just things that make sounds, also that it is actions.

Just need this one cleared up as it is quite confusing.

Many thanks :)

Back