NEED SOME HELP FAST

Hey everybody,

I FINALLY finished editing my movie, (which took forever because I'm working 6-day weeks like a monkey!) and I want to put it on DVD. Problem is I'm not sure how to do this, and I'm supposed to have my "Premiere" tomorrow night which is just 2 days before I leave Japan forever, so it has to get done tonight.

I edited on Final Cut Pro, and thought transferring to DVD would be a fairly straightforward process, but it's been a bugger. I wanted to have it be good quality,so I chose to export using Compresser with a Codec MPEG-2 90min High Quality Encode.m2v. This took like 7 hours (my movie is 65 minutes long), and now I have 2 seperate icons on my desktop, 1 for audio and 1 for the video. I burned these both onto a DVD in the hopes that it would play on a DVD player, but as I suspected, it didn't work. I also tried to load these 2 onto iDVD to make a DVD from there, and the audio played fine, but the video didnt because it said it wasn't a supported format.

I don't know what to do from here. If someone could please walk me through how I can get my finished movie from Final Cut Pro onto a DVD, I'd be super-grateful. Thanks a bunch!

Shawn

the audio and video files have to be multiplexed together into a vob.. most dvd burning software will handle this for you.

This should work for you, and it's free... Sizzle

I've used the windows equivalent MANY times.

Export as a quicktime movie from final cut (no compressor, no conversion, just straight quicktime full quality).

drag and drop into iDVD and you should be good to go.

Thanks Will. I downloaded that software, and it looks pretty good, but it still won't read the video file. Might be something is wrong with that file, because it should be able to work with MPEG-2.

Thanks Knightly. Will the quality be OK if I just export with Quicktime? I don't need anything fancier?

Will the quality be OK if I just export with Quicktime? I don't need anything fancier?
Nope.

iDVD does all the conversion for you. It's not as good as Compressor and DVD Studio but it's pretty amazing for a free program. And in your time frame it's your best option.

Export as a quicktime movie from final cut (no compressor, no conversion, just straight quicktime full quality).

drag and drop into iDVD and you should be good to go.

Also, unless you want to move the file to another computer, dont self-contain the movie. Your export will be alot quicker this way. I saved a lot of time when i wanted something on the fly.

If you have FCP, you should have DVD Studio Pro. Open it, drag your files into the graphical viewer. Delete the Menu icon. Right-click and set the video to First Play. Then click on Build and Format and it should be good to go.

Thanks everybody! I did wind up exporting with just regular old Quicktime, and it looked good. The premiere was a big hit (relatively speaking of course), and I'll try and post the movie on here or set up a link so everybody who wants to can see it. Again, thanks a bunch!
Shawn

the quicktime is the native format of final cut and is therefor not a conversion, but just a repackaging of the video when you export that way. Any recompression you do when exporting can end up reducing quality, so I like to keep the file in the native format as long as possible in the workflow.

If you have final cut studio, it should have come with a tutorial DVD, you should watch that, it's very informative.

Back