• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need Rap/street slang in screenplay

It's kinda embarrassing question. Along with my Sci-Fi story, I'm writing a screenplay about a rap singer. I don't live in US, and I don't know people from there, so nobody can help me with the Afro-american slang. And that's important. I know a few things of course, but there's a black character who talks much, so I need him to be like a real guy from the hood. Where can I get slang idioms or something like that? I wanna make it real.

Last edited:
What doesn't follow for me is if BOTH were involved in the creation, then both have the blueprints. I can understand if only ONE prototype existed. Seems to me, if the antagonist faked a fire that "destroyed" the prototype and back-up blueprints, it may convince the protagonist that they need to start from scratch. Of course, the antagonist now has the prototype and secretly begins using it to his/her advantage under an assumed identity. As the protagonist begins to suspect and discover the duplicity, the stakes are now higher for the antagonist leading to thoughts of murder.

For me, the issue that creates your dilemma is that they each have equal footing in terms of the device. Somehow you need to shift that balance believably to favor the antagonist. Just my thoughts.

It can be a good idea, but it becomes a thriller and derails from the actual idea. In my story, there are two developers, Derek and Tom. They developed it together, and have only one prototype. Their goals with using the device are different, and one day they come to an argument - Tom wants to publish it, Derek wants to use it for his goals. The protagonist Max, who has already seen what the device is capable of (except the one thing which Derek wants to use it for), uses their debate to steal it.

Later, after Max becomes a famous rapper and solves the low battery problem, he realizes the device has another advantage he didn't know before. It's the same which Derek wanted it for. Tom and Derek find out about Max and plan to get the device back. But how? Each one has his own idea:

1) - Tom wants to get credit for creating the device, so he wants to expose Max to the audience, also making a really big noise around the world, with headlines: "Tom creates a revolutionary technology, and VoXDrop appears to be a scum that steals it and uses it to make a career". Kill 2 birds with one shot.

2) - Derek wants to use the other advantage of the device. He doesn't want the world to know about it. He wants to end this quietly. Max the VoXDrop used the device. He knows too much. He must die.

Last edited:
My point was exactly what I wrote (which is not what you are saying I wrote).

You can't go grab a police man officer have them arrest someone just because you say they took intellectual property from your company. The police do NOT work for you! They follow their state's revised codes and statutes. You must prove in CIVIL COURT that the intellectual property is yours to get it back. If you can also prove that it was blatant material theft, then the police can choose to prosecute based on a District Attorney's decision.

Let's say I am a technology contractor and I develop a "voice device" for a company. The company and I have a contractual dispute. I terminate my contract and take my device with me. The company in question feels that the device belongs to them. I feel it belongs to me based on the terms of our contract.

Who is guilty, Maz? ...You don't know, do you?

So are you saying the CEO can have me arrested just because he THINKS he is right? Can I have the CEO arrested because I FEEL he didn't fulfill the contract?

It's called CIVIL court, buddy!

-Birdman

It must be interesting up in your nest, Birdman. Who mentioned anything about intellectual property? The device is a physical, tangible thing, and the developers presumably have proof of ownership (designs, blueprints, parts, patent documents etc). If they approach the police and say, this thing that only we in the entire world have has been stolen, and this is the person who has it, and he took it from us without our permission with intent to deprive us of it, then it's a crime, buddy :)

It must be interesting up in your nest, Birdman. Who mentioned anything about intellectual property? The device is a physical, tangible thing, and the developers presumably have proof of ownership (designs, blueprints, parts, patent documents etc). If they approach the police and say, this thing that only we in the entire world have has been stolen, and this is the person who has it, and he took it from us without our permission with intent to deprive us of it, then it's a crime, buddy :)

Well, well, well. You know so much about the internal workings of Inarius' developing screenplay, maybe you should be writing it for him?

Let's say you DO write it for him and Inarius is supposed to pay you for writing it. And then Inarius doesn't pay you like he said he would. You decide to keep it and sell it yourself as a result.

Uh ohhh ....LOOKOUT!

Inarius calls the police and has you arrested for stealing his screenplay. ...............Sucks to be you!

-Birdman

P.S. I'm sorry, guy, but you're just flat-out wrong. I'm very glad you're a screenplay writer and not a police officer.

Well, well, well. You know so much about the internal workings of Inarius' developing screenplay, maybe you should be writing it for him?

Let's say you DO write it for him and Inarius is supposed to pay you for writing it. And then Inarius doesn't pay you like he said he would. You decide to keep it and sell it yourself as a result.

Uh ohhh ....LOOKOUT!

Inarius calls the police and has you arrested for stealing his screenplay. ...............Sucks to be you!

-Birdman

P.S. I'm sorry, guy, but you're just flat-out wrong. I'm very glad you're a screenplay writer and not a police officer.

Who said anything about Inarius's screenplay? You quoted my post about a real, tangible loss to a developer of a one-of-a-kind item, and suggested that theft of such an item is a civil, not a criminal matter. I was talking about a certain, specific set of circumstances which Inarius asked about. It has nothing to do with intellectual property any more than a mugger is impinging on your intellectual property by stealing your wallet.

I visit your R&D lab (I don't work there, or have any input into research). I see something on a workbench and think... "Ooooh... shiny!" I pocket it and walk out with it.

It transpires it's the only prototype of a new device you've been developing. You have the plans, the parts, extensive development notes, the patent confirming that you're the only person developing this thing, and presumably CCTV footage of me pocketing the thing.

But no, it's not theft, and the police would not be interested because it's a civil IP dispute, apparently. Bizarre.

I'm glad you're not etc etc...

Last edited:
If you steal the property of someone else, and the victim of the theft has proof of ownership, the person who steeled whatever it is that was stolen is arrested and the case will eventually be taken to court if need be.

If you steal the property of someone else, and the victim of the theft has proof of ownership, the person who steeled whatever it is that was stolen is arrested and the case will eventually be taken to court if need be.

In MANY cases, both sides have proof of ownership. A police office is not going to waste his time trying to figure out who owns what nor is it his job. If two hi-tech product designers are arguing that they both have sufficient proof that a prototype belongs to them ...the police will merely tell them, "Go get yourselves legal representation and battle it out in court". In addition, the officer may require that the prototype be returned to the person it was taken from WITHOUT an arrest being made.

As I wrote earlier, if an employee steals a cash register from his employer's store, the police will probably arrest him.

However, if the employee argues after his arrest that employer hasn't paid him, shows proof of lack of payment, and the value of everything taken is equal to the amount owed by the employer, then the police will require the return of the stolen property to the employer and release the case over to civil court. If the employee damaged the employer's property in his attempt at extracting his payment, then that's a whole separate issue.

-Birdman

The question was if the guy can be arrested IMMEDIATELY. Before any fringes and before the civil court. And before the developers have shown the proofs of their ownership, because the proofs are in their office, and they are currently on a performance stage. And if he can, is there an option NOT to be arrested IMMEDIATELY. I'm trying to build up the outcome of the story :)

Last edited:
The question was if the guy can be arrested IMMEDIATELY. Before any fringes and before the civil court. And before the developers have shown the proofs of their ownership, because the proofs are in their office, and they are currently on a performance stage.

That is unlikely, as there is no suggestion that any crime has taken place without proof. So I'd say the answer is no, unless they have tipped off the police with the complaint and the proof in advance of arriving at the performance venue.

That is unlikely, as there is no suggestion that any crime has taken place without proof. So I'd say the answer is no, unless they have tipped off the police with the complaint and the proof in advance of arriving at the performance venue.

No, they didn't involve the police themselves. So thanks. The question is solved.

Last edited:
I have another question. It's more regarding laws. Can someone be arrested for stealing and using a product, which is still not officially allowed yet, and was rather a homemade than a lab product?

Above was Inarius' legal question.

Inarius and FantasySciFi didn't get into specific character roles regarding ownership of the voice device until after the discussion over "criminal prosecution" for product theft was raised.

Who said anything about Inarius's screenplay? You quoted my post about a real, tangible loss to a developer of a one-of-a-kind item, and suggested that theft of such an item is a civil, not a criminal matter. I was talking about a certain, specific set of circumstances which Inarius asked about. It has nothing to do with intellectual property any more than a mugger is impinging on your intellectual property by stealing your wallet.

I visit your R&D lab (I don't work there, or have any input into research). I see something on a workbench and think... "Ooooh... shiny!" I pocket it and walk out with it.

It transpires it's the only prototype of a new device you've been developing. You have the plans, the parts, extensive development notes, the patent confirming that you're the only person developing this thing, and presumably CCTV footage of me pocketing the thing.

But no, it's not theft, and the police would not be interested because it's a civil IP dispute, apparently. Bizarre.

I'm glad you're not etc etc...

...Based on what I have posted, Inarius MAY want to somehow include "Max" into the product design process so that he can avoid the "plot hole" of his protagonist maybe getting arrested. If Max is included in the "design team" then it becomes a civil case where a civil court has to figure out who owns what and renders a judgment accordingly.

Civil suits can take a long time to resolve, too. Tom and Derek could bring a lawsuit against Max in an attempt to get back the prototype. A judge 'could" also levy a temporary injunction and hold the device in escrow until the ownership issue has been resolved.

Derek MAY not want to file a lawsuit as this will bring to light the "existence" of the device to the public.

.......ALL these things come into play if Inarius want's to avoid a "plot hole" and are worthy of discussion.

-Birdman

Max isn't one of the developers team. If he was, it would actually be a plot hole. Why? Because Tom and Derek can figure out that it was him who stole it. And then the whole story wouldn't happen, because Max wouldn't manage to turn into a good rapper. You do understand, that the story covers a period of a few month, not a few days. And even when Tom and Derek see Max on TV, they shouldn't realize at once that he has their device. To make the story work, they MUST NOT know Max.

So, if Tom and Derek don't know Max, then how does he find out about the device? The answer is simple: Max works as a cleaner in the corp. building, where the lab is located. So it's not a problem to figure out how did he found out about the device and how he stole it.

Max isn't one of the developers team. If he was, it would actually be a plot hole. Why? Because Tom and Derek can figure out that it was him who stole it. And then the whole story wouldn't happen, because Max wouldn't manage to turn into a good rapper. You do understand, that the story covers a period of a few month, not a few days. And even when Tom and Derek see Max on TV, they shouldn't realize at once that he has their device. To make the story work, they MUST NOT know Max.

So, if Tom and Derek don't know Max, then how does he find out about the device? The answer is simple: Max works as a cleaner in the corp. building, where the lab is located. So it's not a problem to figure out how did he found out about the device and how he stole it.

Well, if that's the case, then that's like an employee stealing the cash register. ...That's a crime.

Derek doesn't want anyone to know about it, so that keeps the police out of the mix. Problem solved with Derek. However, I'm not sure Tom's motivation for exposing Max to his audience is enough to keep him away from calling the police. He could just call the police and get his device back right away.

You DO have an argument that Max's popularity could generate more popularity for the product ...but that would only work if Derek wasn't in the mix. He wouldn't risk allowing Max to use the device with Derek out there trying to get it back, too.

My opinion.

-Birdman

Derek and Tom find it out that Max has their device, when Max is already popular. They argue about a plan - how to get it back. After coming to no agreement, Tom decides to go his own way and expose Max. He can call the police, but that won't bring him that much recognition, as exposing a famous rapper in front of thousands of people on a stage. Moreover, he wants to teach a lesson to that damn kid, who doesn't respect other people efforts.

Of course, Derek goes mad after seeing what Tom has done, so he tries to set the plan of killing Max (and now Tom too) in motion.

The problem with many of these threads is that no concrete feedback can be given without having seen the script. The evolution of this thread from 'rap' to a stolen device by one of the two inventors to now becoming a janitor stealing a device from two guys with opposing motives is a slippery slope. As a group we can collectively brainstorm but without the actual script to respond to, it's our imaginations.

Inarius and others have interesting concepts that are never fully presented. So no matter what suggestions are offered, they offer a "yes but". Not to be argumentative but because they haven't disclosed enough for anyone to realistically help them.

Inarius, in solving your plot hole, you need to put yourself in the place of your characters and be real. Let's say you and a friend write a script. You want credit for writing it and a portion of the sales. Your friend, unknown to you, already has a producer ready to make this but doesn't want to share the money. The producer is willing to help your friend rewrite the script so they can split the difference. In the meantime, a friend is sleeping over and reads your draft. She likes it, takes it and puts her own name on it with a few key changes and shows it to a producer she knows. Her project is successfully funded through Kickstarter. Unfortunately, one of the crew for her producer is good friends with your co-writer's producer. Would your co-writer decide to sabotage her project long enough that he and his friend can finish their version? Would you be content with either of them making it as long as you got credit, though not the money?

I believe that captures the elements you presented. How would you really respond? That's what will make your movie feel real and believable. Hell if it's a prototype and only the bad guy knows what else it's capable, he can still call the police. Unless I tell you it's a time machine, all you know is someone stole a wristwatch. Even if the thief says what it is, he's still in the wrong. The 'hero', villain and audience know, but no one in your fictional world knows. In the scenario above, no one on this forum knows what your story is about in any detail. However any co-writer and visitor to your home who reads it would.

While there has been lots of talk about legal aspects, for me it's a fundamental question of believable response by your characters. Neither inventor has anything to lose by reporting the missing device. Even if the janitor did steal, they build a new one. Just as you'd write a new script. It could be the janitor stole it only to alter his voice not realizing that it also allowed encoding voice frequencies that influenced people's minds. Maybe only the villain knows. And depending on how desperate/evil the guy is, he may kill off his partner if s/he also realizes its other use. There are many ways to play this gambit.

You have to be careful as a writer not to force fit behaviors just to make the situation you want result in the end. Natural consequences of believable choices make for more interesting drama. Consequences of unbelievable choices makes for comedy. Is your co-writer going to gun the car and run over the girl just to protect his interest. Or even just death threats? Are you going to sue your friend when he and his producer buddy make their film without crediting you? How much legal expense are you willing to put into the lawsuit against your friend if you know you'll probably pay more than you'll receive. How much is that writing credit worth?

As an exercise, I'll often provide students with a dilemma and ask them to generate five different responses and let them play out. It's sometimes good because it can free your story to explore different ways of getting to the same end. Same is true of acting out a scene using different motivations for responding.

I don't know how your story goes. But if, as a writer and/or actor, it feels wrong to you, then the problem is the choices are forced and not natural. You need to go back work forward from normal choices. If something is stolen, it gets reported. However, knowing the police, not every department gives a damn. They may send someone out to get a report and then it gets filed and nothing ever comes from it. I sense that your block may be that you think reporting the theft will generate a manhunt. That is seldom the case. In a case I heard about, the visiting police officer didn't even dust for prints after the break in. If this was a garage lab, the police are less like to be interested than an industrial research lab. Even a university theft will probably generate only a momentary blip of activity. Things are stolen all the time on college campuses. Police involvement doesn't bring out the CSI and dogs unless there is suspicion of a major crime. And your two inventors may downplay the theft for their own reasons.

All I can suggest is that you write natural logical responses to unusual circumstances and it will make the situations flow better.

It could be the janitor stole it only to alter his voice not realizing that it also allowed encoding voice frequencies that influenced people's minds.

OMG! How are you doing this? :huh:
Yes! It can influence people's minds. That's what Derek wanted. So you understand why he doesn't want the device to be known, and doesn't want to report to police :)

Last edited:
It's kinda embarrassing question. Along with my Sci-Fi story, I'm writing a screenplay about a rap singer. I don't live in US, and I don't know people from there, so nobody can help me with the Afro-american slang. And that's important. I know a few things of course, but there's a black character who talks much, so I need him to be like a real guy from the hood. Where can I get slang idioms or something like that? I wanna make it real.

Listen to some HIP HOP!!!

Snoop Dog?

:lol:
Would you write a screenplay, where Snoop Dog is actually a dog?:lol:
I don't know how is it in US, but as far as I know, if you give your dog a name of a certain person, it is meant to insult the person. And the last thing I want is to offend someone in Rap industry, especially when my story is meant to have a connection to it.

Back