• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need Lighting Idea for None budget film

Dear friends,

I'm going to make Romantic Drama (short film) very few characters highlighted on one couple. most of the story part is in two different room and one or two scene is outdoor.
indoor scene is night and outdoor is day time.

short idea of the scenes:

INT-Night

hero-kitchen-making coffee
come to bedroom
reading book
on call
talking to wife

Wife doing same other side

Ext - Day
hero - getting ready to go out
waiting for wife at super market
wife doesn't come
hero come back to home

wife reach at meeting point late.

INT - Night

hero on desk writing a story

wife start to do household work at other place

end

above lines doesn't tell proper story but this is to give some idea of the scene location and timing and activities..

so please let me know what kind of light i should use. I have lots of limitation but need nice output with whatever i have.

I have Nikon D5000 only rest of the things either have to buy or hire.. and all over this No budget.. so give me some nice idea for light setup as my camera will produce more grain in low light (sure) so need proper light with artistic look..

I can buy few lights if its cheap enough to my budget.

also give some tips to make this kind of film..

looking forward to your reply,

I would say it depends on the location/s. You never know what you need for lighting other than an overall concept until you see the location and your available power.

Well, if you shoot on DSLR, you don't need *any* lights...

Doh! Kidding.

I'd say if you're going super-uber cheap, you can buy some work lights at home depot. A few that have stands, and a few that clamp and can be hung from things.

If you have a little money, get a small Arri or Lowell kit.

Or you can rent a kit.

You'll probably want 3 or 4 lights available to you. A 1K, a couple 500W, maybe a 2K...a small pepper.

Well, if you shoot on DSLR, you don't need *any* lights...

Doh! Kidding.

I'd say if you're going super-uber cheap, you can buy some work lights at home depot. A few that have stands, and a few that clamp and can be hung from things.

If you have a little money, get a small Arri or Lowell kit.

Or you can rent a kit.

You'll probably want 3 or 4 lights available to you. A 1K, a couple 500W, maybe a 2K...a small pepper.

agreed.
we shot a scene with lights we bought at home depot and a few more clamp on lights from Wal-mart...

we were worried but ended up working great..

but I agree it depends on a few things, location etc

Thanks friends

and yeh I like all your comments even kidding and teasing.. really fun here...appreciate and salute..

ok now thing is that No budget means No such big budget but a little budget..as this will be only portfolio stuffs. I can spend as less as possible..

Im in Mauritius now and of course will shoot here.. weather is very dramatic.. winter here and sometime rainy and sometime sunny some part always cover with clouds and some are open..

I can buy few lights no issue but dont know what types of light should buy which can be useful

as i mentioned in first post shots are interior and exterior both but most of the shots are interior in night time.. and exterior is day time.. I know DSLR will give me low quality and poor result but I don't have any other option.. I want to make film and want to get experience so.. I AM DYING TO LEARN AND MAKE IT.

I agree I dont have money or budget but I'll do it and need you ppl help and support..

Post pictures of your location, we'd be glad to take a stab at lighting it... if you could even throw in some stills with people where you intend to have actors, a lighting setup can be made that fits not just the location, but the blocking as well.

One great way to run a set is by the acronym BLRS (as in 'Blurs'). This will give your lighting designer and crew a chance to see what's going on as well as tweak.

B: Block

L: Light

R: Rehearse

S: Shoot

In the first step, you're DP and grips will watch the blocking and get an idea of where the lights need to be. They will then set up their lights. Once the basic setup is done, the actors come back in to rehearse. One additional step allowed in this is *tweaking*...so it could go: BLRTS...but the T isn't always necessary, nor is there always time.

Once you tweak the lights...you're onto the shooting phase. This phase is for the actors...and there should be no more tweaking. Nope! None! :) Da! I see you over there moving the barn doors....stop it!

The DP should ask the director, or the grip the DP or however your doing things, "Are you happy with the way it looks?" If the individual is happy in the Lighting phase then move on. Don't tweak until the AD has to ride your ass.

Last edited:
Back