Need help with lens

I'm not sure what kind of Canon 600D lens to go with for a prime? I would like to shoot a quality narrative film, but I need a good all around range and fixed aperture. Preferably one under $400. I can't really afford too many lenses, so I would rather have one really good lens than a couple mediocre kit lenses. Please help! Thanks

No, I don't need Auto Focus. I was just looking with a lens with a fixed aperture that is relatively cheap that performs well with a lot of different film locations. I don't expect it to do everything..just enough to start filming. thanks

Well awesome!

If you go this route, you'll need an adapter: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adapter-...7D-50D-60D-500D-550D-600D-1000D-/110759861906

Then you just need to find a decent looking lens on eBay (or other sites!) and you're pretty much ready to go. Read listings carefully and see if they mention the presence (or absence) or fungus, haze, etc.

It can be difficult to differentiate between a good used lens and a "used" lens, so be sure to ask the seller to make sure it's still in working condition.

An example of a great one would be something like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canon-FD...y-NEX-Micro-four-thirds-cameras-/150752746987
Unfortunately that seller only posts to Australia, but you get the idea.

Another option is to go for a cheaper non-mainstream brand lens, but you don't really know if you're going to be getting quality or not until it arrives. You'd have to have a read up on some reviews online as I'm no longer an expert in those sorts of lenses :P

Check this out for an example of a ridiculous no-name brand $300 lens:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/650-1300mm-Telephoto-Zoom-Lens-Canon-FD-AE-AE-1-NEW-/130644401264 - Unfortunately it's all but useless plastic and glass because of the huge amount of light that it needs to get an even half-decent photo.

The 50mm is an EXCELLENT lens. The difference between the 1.4 and 1.8 version is negligible and the price point is even better.
It was the first one that I picked up when I got my 5D and, although I don't use it anywhere near as much now that I have my L-series zooms, it was my bread and butter when I started.

As I said, the adapter you go for depends on the lens - you'd need an FD to EOS mount, for instance, if you went with an FD lens. Nikon to EOS for Nikon, etc. etc.

I can also vouch for the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Affordable lens, cheap plastic body, but the glass is good.

However, keep in mind the crop factor on those cams. A 50mm will feel a bit telephoto.
Once I got a 30mm, I kept it on most of the time.

You can not have a single good lens with an all around range and a fixed aperture for under $400.

The Canon 24-70 would be what you are looking for but thats about 1200.

If you just have 400 to spend you can not have 3 different good primes to cover your basic ranges. You have two options, use the 400 to get 3 vintage primes or get a medium quality zoom.

Im sure ppl here can give you suggestions for either of those two options.

Back