Need help selecting accounting software

I work for a small organization that makes documentaries. Up to now all four of our films have been made on a shoestring budget and our cost accounting has been done via an excel spreadsheet. We are about to start a new project that will be a lot more involved than what we've done to date. It will be a documentary that we hope will have commercial appeal. We'll be raising funds from investors (a couple hundred grand) so we realize that we're going to need to do a better job with our budgeting/accounting/reporting than we've done in the past.

I've done a bit of research about software programs available and it seems like we can either get a business running software package like Quickbooks or get a program like Jungle Software's Gorilla that is written specifically for independent filmmakers. The problem is that I don't know which way to go. We are entering into unchartered waters so at this point we don't know what we are going to need. Quickbooks and the like seems to be overkill from an accounting perspective, but then again Gorilla seems to offer a whole lot more than we may need as well.

I'm looking for advice from other filmmakers out there - what type of software program do you use to keep decent records of your revenues and expenditures? Do you use a robust software package like the one's I've mentioned in my post, or do you just stick to making your own spreadsheet in something like Excel?

Thanks for any advice/information you may be able to provide.

I don't believe that Excel is a good idea for you, an accounting software would be much better. I think you should have a look at TioLive platform, explore its functions and you will see that it can do much more than an Excel spreadsheet.

I work for a small organization that makes documentaries. Up to now all four of our films have been made on a shoestring budget and our cost accounting has been done via an excel spreadsheet. We are about to start a new project that will be a lot more involved than what we've done to date. It will be a documentary that we hope will have commercial appeal. We'll be raising funds from investors (a couple hundred grand) so we realize that we're going to need to do a better job with our budgeting/accounting/reporting than we've done in the past.

I've done a bit of research about software programs available and it seems like we can either get a business running software package like Quickbooks or get a program like Jungle Software's Gorilla that is written specifically for independent filmmakers. The problem is that I don't know which way to go. We are entering into unchartered waters so at this point we don't know what we are going to need. Quickbooks and the like seems to be overkill from an accounting perspective, but then again Gorilla seems to offer a whole lot more than we may need as well.

I'm looking for advice from other filmmakers out there - what type of software program do you use to keep decent records of your revenues and expenditures? Do you use a robust software package like the one's I've mentioned in my post, or do you just stick to making your own spreadsheet in something like Excel?

Thanks for any advice/information you may be able to provide.

I use Gorilla, it's great for scheduling, budgeting, accounting. I used it for a indie film and still use in in post for accounting. It even can figure payments to investors on profits. I would recommend Gorilla based on my experience.

Adobe has a product called OnLocation and from the sound of it you will be able to do budgeting on it plus lots more like making shot lists and keeping track of takes etc.

I've never tried it, but maybe someone on here has :)

Back