• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need Help Picking Out Cam

I'm looking to buy my very first Camcorder (for movie making purposes) and I wanted to know if I could get some help making a choice. I'm looking to make payment plans on a device and currently have experience through HSN, QVC, Shop NBC and so forth. My question is if anyone knows where I can get a Prosumer Camera on a payment plan or if an HD Camcorder will serve the same purpose since I know I can still get the "movie look" through editing footage taken from a Camcorder. Thanks in Advance!:D

I'm looking to buy my very first Camcorder (for movie making purposes) and I wanted to know if I could get some help making a choice. I'm looking to make payment plans on a device and currently have experience through HSN, QVC, Shop NBC and so forth. My question is if anyone knows where I can get a Prosumer Camera on a payment plan or if an HD Camcorder will serve the same purpose since I know I can still get the "movie look" through editing footage taken from a Camcorder. Thanks in Advance!:D

The difference in quality between your average prosumer camera and any consumer camera is quite remarkeable. Plus there are numerous reasons why you might want something better than a regular-ol camcorder. Not that you can't make awesome movies with a humble camcorder.

However, you might want to consider DSLR. It's all the rage, these days. All the cool kids are doing it. ;)

The poor-man's choice is the Canon T2i. The 60D just came out, though, and it looks pretty sweet.

http://www.indietalk.com/blog.php?b=103

@fightingcrest aye, so what did you end up getting? I just bought a Canon 60D body with a tamron 17-50 VC lens... total cost was like $1600. So far, pretty cool. I need to learn some techniques for cooler vids but I think it was worth it.

Also I saw that Canon has an FX100 releasing early next year... suppose to be great for indie film stuff... so they say. This one is probably going to be around 3 grand tho :P

My good buddy just bought a Canon 60D. I rewrote a short script I was working on for him and now he is going to star in the short, which will be filmed on his 60D. He has a couple of OK Canon lenses, but we will likely rent one or two good ones. That will be up to the DP we hired. She's extremely good, so I am sure she will get as much as we can out of the 60D as our budget allows.

The T2i is cheaper , but from everything I know, the same when it comes to HD video, so it would be a better choice to start with.

Back