• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need help for info on sound recording

Hello,

For the shooting of a 14mins short in 16mm, I would like to know what the basic tools I need. I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks

For sync sound? You need a sync sound camera, and a DAT or Nagra or applicable recorder.

What equipment do you have available?

Okay you are set with the camera, now, you will need a recorder such as a timecode DAT. When you hire your sound mixer, they usually have their own equipment.

Cantar? Not sure what that is.

Well of course not. Do you need a list? Just for the sound deptartment?

Timecode DAT
Tapes
Batteries
Microphone(s)
Cables
Boom
Zeppelin
Etc.

What exactly are you asking? Tell us more. Are you hiring crew?

sorry... this can't be the only thing needed

your best bet is to hire a Location soundmixer. You can have all the gear and if you don't have the experience it can cost you more in post that if you worked out a deal with a Location Sound Recordist. Find an experienced mixer show him your script explain your situation I bet you can get it covered. Especially since you're only shooting 14 to 16 pages which should only be a weekend shoot.

If you do go with the Cantar you also want a time code slate. Are you going to transfer the 16mm to HD to edit? What is the final screening format? If it's film just make sure the recorder and slate are both set at 24fps. If you are working with a DI you need to talk to the guy or girl at the transfer house for what timecode to set the machines up at they can help you a lot when setting up a film shoot. If all else fails you can do a clap slate and sync it in post the old fashioned way.
There are volumes written on location sound -several you should check out are 'Location Audio Simplified' by S. Dean Miles and 'Sync Sound for DAT DV DVD' by Wolf Seeberg to name a few.
Good luck

By the way Indietalk a Cantar is Aaton's Digital audio recorder.
thanks for moderatin'

IMG_0881.jpg

Yes it is a nice set-up, but it's not mine It's from the JWSound.net production sound site where production sound people discuss their craft and post pics of their gear. But this is the kind of sound cart most of the pro guys are using.

I do audio post, and that rig is probably more expensive than my studio, which look like this:

LowBridgeA.jpg

Back