Need help deciding on a lens

For GH3.

Looking at wide angle and 25mm focal length for drama/narratives, some action scenes, usually low lit.
*Considering 14mm/17mm Panasonic or Olympus
Both native lenses.

Looking to hear your preferences on Pana or Oly and why.

*Looking at the 25mm Pana Leica or Voigtlander. Although I have the budget for the Voigtlander, is paying the extra $300-$400 worth the F0.95 vs. f1.4 ? Am looking at low light situations and never gone lower than 2.8. So it's an compeling argument.
Also is the Voigtlander better for rack focus? Or no real difference.

Looking to hear your preferences on Pana or Voigt and why.

First time on this site so lookin to hear DSLR users experiences with these particular lenses. Your feedback would be appreciated. My experience in the past has mainly been in film but ready to get into DSLR shooting.

Last edited:
well its good that you accept your own ignorance, but you dont seem to be letting that guide you.

If I asked you to recommend a new computer but I admitted to not knowing much about computers would you recommend that I buy a MAC, A windows PC, An UBUNTU linux PC, an ipad tablet to learn on?

No you'd suggest that I pick one platform, maybe a MAC, and start leaning there.

Same thing here.. you don't know much about lenses and yet your want advice on which three lenses to buy. Skip that.. buy just one. Buy one of the zooms. The best you can afford right now and be done with the confusion.

Now that you have a camera and lens, do a TON of testing. Try you hand at setting up narrative style test shots, see if you can make it work for you. After you have put the basic work into understanding lenses on you camera you will be much better informed on what you REALLY need, if anything. Your next lens purchase will be obvious to you, and it will be based on what you really want and you will know it.

I may have been referring to something you edited out of your original post. My comments dont seem to line up with your comments :)

I see you updated your post a day after I made my comments..
Last edited by scottefm; 01-15-2015 at 10:52 AM.

No offense was intended if any was taken.

You were asking very specific technical questions when in your previous version of the post you confessed some ignorance hence my "dont go there yet" response..

start simple and work from there.. your updated post reads like you have plenty of knowledge.. so maybe my reply is NA.

If budget permits, I recommend the $950 Nokton. It's not just low light - the huge aperture gives you creamier bokeh than the Leica:

http://vimeo.com/115515056

http://youtu.be/M4UNjD1Ardk

It's the closest you can get to the full frame "look" with the m 4/3 sensor.

That is nice. It's like the GH cameras and the Voigtlander were made for each other. If I had a 4/3 camera, I would definitely want one to go with it, just generally speaking. But not cheap. I don't care for the color, grading or something, of the video, though. What is it?

Hello. Sorry for the late reply as I have been out of pocket. I appreciate everyone's help and advise. I actually did edit my original post. As you mentioned it was vague and written in a hurry so I decided to specify after rereading. No offense taken, I completely understand where you were coming from.

Yes and no though on the ignorant bit. not new to cinematography per se, just new to DSLR. After years of working in corporate America I have decided to get back into filmmaking. Not as a profession though, just as a passion I've always had.

Back in the 90's I worked in the industry for a camera house and eventually crew member on high end commercials, local indie projects etc, So had some good exposure to Arriflex cams, DL fisher dollys, HMi lighting, grip gear, the works.

Ended up getting out for more stable hours for my family. Since then so much has change I feel like a fossil :)

So although I have no first hand experience with DSLR videography, I have had exposure at a professional level to lighting, grip equipment, and cinematography in general. Its like getting back on a horse so the fundamentals have helped me navigate relatively quickly to this point. Found this site and found the knowledge base incredible. So all your advise is greatly appreciated, since you all have hands on experience in DSLR .

Based on what I've seen and heard leaning towards Voigtlander and Olympus wide just b/c it looks like they might have a more "manual" feel. Auto focus and OIS aren't critical as I plan on taking my time to set up shots, use tripods and hand held rigs etc. hence the need for wide in some cases.

thanks for the feedback everyone.

Back