Need field monitor for interviewing

I do a fair amount of interviewing on camera. 0ne problem I face is that I use the flip-out LCD screen to check everything is going well. That means the interviewee is staring at the camera, since he is looking at me. I don't like that. I like the interview shots where the subject is looking at the interviewer, not the camera.

So, I'm looking for a field monitor to use with a Canon or Panasonic camcorder (since I have both).

I would also like to use a monitor to make sure focus is good, since I don't want to use the LCD screen.

I would mount the LCD on a light stand, or (maybe) on the camcorder on a tripod.

Dual power would be good to have as well (AC and battery).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

well what i started using for crane shit is very simple...

do you have a laptop...

have you downloaded a free software called vlc...

do you have an s-video or av outputs on your camera... something that will allow you to use it on rca type cables...

if so...
then all you need is this...

http://www.meritline.com/usb-video-capture-adapter---p-42212.aspx?source=fghdac

that is what i use... granted it doesnt give you a real time look (there is like a 1/2 second delay)... but it works great...

i use it to get my camer in focus and get a better view of what is going on in the shot remotely from my camera when its 15 feet up in the air hahahahah

plus all you have to do is go into vlc and hit ctrl+c and it brings up the option for capture devices... and then you pick your usb cable... and then start filming... hahahahah

once you do that you can also set up the video settings on vlc so that its in the right aspect ratio for your shot

I picked up a 7" TV from Office Depot for around $40. Connects nicely with a single cable to my camera.

I cobbled together a clamp and a PVC / bolt / wingnut assembly with misc bits from Lowe's and it clamps securely to my tripod.

HTH

Back