• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Neat Video

I just purchased Neat Video pro to use on my feature length. Anybody else have this program? I'm anxious to see how it holds up to its reputation.

I just had a look at some examples on YouTube of the noise reduction, it really does like like a great program. With the pro version being only $99, it even has a good price!

What are render times like? Been thinking about purchasing it.

How does the final resolution hold up?

I get a lot of video from clients full of noise, would love to celan it up a bit haha.

Good questions Paul!

I'll have to keep you updated on that. I hear the render times are very long but it's worth it. MB Looks/Colorista + NeatVideo... eek.. so we'll see :)

I like it. It saves some very noisy shots.
Not very graceful to use. I only use it on shots that NEED it.
I will add the effect to a shot that needs it, no other effect, then render that shot as animation I then import that rendered footage and use that new footage wherever the noisy footage was. This seems to be the least impact t render times. I certainly DON'T do it for every shot.

After hacking my GH2 Im getting more noise at all ISO's but I think its a GOOD noise and Im hesitant to clean it up. Its only when I have large areas of mid dark when I start to see the screen crawl that I will bring out NEAT VIDEO.

I have it and I am using it for the first time. I don't quite mind the render times (cuz if I am satisfied with test renders, I just let that baby bake overnight). I don't like the jittery rsults I am getting on shots with movement. What am I doing wrong?

Oh and in some places it seems to be geting my audio out of sync too. Any pointers on that too?

Oh and one more thing while on the topic, what's the best workflow - color correct then denoise or the other way around?

"A thousand thank yous upong you, your households and lands"

I haven't experienced any increased render times.

Here's my workflow:

Denoise first, then color correct. I've read this actually has an impact on quality.

About the jitter:

There is an option you can click (right on the effects panel for neat video) that makes modifications for fast moving shots. I cannot remember what it's called but I will check once I plug into PP today.

About the audio:

I've never heard it messing with audio however you could just wait to use Neat Video and to color grade after you've locked the final picture as well as locked the audio. That way you can't accidently change it.

Thank you, DeJager, for your speedy response and help on this. I guess I've blown it by the way did my work flow. I am kind' of doing everything at once as I have all my filters on and I am rendering at the same time. I'm using Vegas Pro 11 by the way.

So how's the best way to go about this...1) edit, 2) denoise each clip and render separately, 3) reassemble and then color correct and then 4) final render?

If so. I have the whole video done right now and I can follow those steps as much as a pain in the ass as it will be right now. OR what if I change the order of the filters to have the denoise filter take place first (if it even works that way).

Thanks again for your help, man.

I'm using Premiere Pro to composite shots and After Effects for the Neat Video. My workflow is this:

1.) Edit in premiere pro until I have the final sequence/timing/cuts.

2.) Once I have the final cut then I'll denoise/color grade/transitions in After Effects

* I render throughout the cutting process so I can see how the clips are coming along together. My mind completely got away from me in my last post. I forgot I use Neat Video in After Effects and I create a Dynamic Link between the two so all the effects/changes are automatically updated. This may make my prior post completely moot.

I'm not sure about Vegas Pro but in after effects you can simply drag the Neat Video Effect ABOVE the rest of the effects (i.e., Colorista, Looks) and this will make the changes automatically. So basically what I said before isn't really correct as long as Neat Video is on top. I've noticed changes in quality depending on the order they are. <<--- this should fix any issues

I'm hoping I've helped a little! Editing is tricky!

Last edited:
DeJager, you sir are the man! Thanks for your help with this and for your advice on workflow.

I'm a Vegas Pro guy and recently I upgraded to 11, which I hate doing because somehow that always burns you some how from a workflow/functionality point-of-view. That was the case here as they have this new automatic encoding default when rendering. The auto selection really does as CPU + GPU encoding, which was hurting my final output. Changed it to CPU and voila...sweet denoised and steady output.

Neat Video is awesome! I don't have a firm grasp on all of it's intricacies just yet, but the standard/auto settings made a huge improvement.

Thanks again for your help and recommendations.

Kosh!

I was playing around with Neatvideo just now. When you are using Neat Video effect on a fast moving sequence, you should (can) make sure the "Adaptive Filtration" function is enabled. This is supposed to help with fast movements.

I know I'm learning Neat Video as well.. one thing I've learned is to be very conservative with the Sharpen function.

And you are very welcome!

@that1guyy - I'm not sure how it compares to Magic Bullet's Denoiser; however I've heard many great things about Neat Video and can concur to the magical wonderfulness of it. I've never used MG Denoiser though, which may be very good as well.

Last edited:
Back