• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My YouTube Videos

I will post links to my YouTube channel (Guitar Goomba) videos here. Please let me know what I can do better (everything) and how I can make them better. I have uploaded 10 videos so far, and I think they have improved. They just are not up to what I would like them to be.

Episode 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpH3XNfal4I

Episode 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5m5aMoJvW8&t=6s

I will post more later, but feel free to watch them all and give me constructive criticism.

Thanks in advance to all who offer advice.

Nice job!!! The biggest thing I noticed was that your voice was only on the left side. I'm guessing, if you used a mic that your camera puts it to the left channel. I would pan the left channel center and get rid of the camera's right channel audio.

Also, depending on what program you're using, you could use a denoiser plugin to take out some of that hi end hiss in the audio. It's not terrible, but I think it would make your videos sound quite a bit better if it was fixed. Izotope make RX elements, which is a stripped down version of RX, but I believe it would have what you need. I think it's pretty cheap if you just need it to do a few things. It looks like you can demo it to see if it is worth the cost.

I also wouldn't hate to see some random close ups along the way of of various things, just to break the monotony of a single shot (if you already did this, sorry, I might have missed that part or something)

I hope this helps and keep up the great work!!!

Nice job!!! The biggest thing I noticed was that your voice was only on the left side. I'm guessing, if you used a mic that your camera puts it to the left channel. I would pan the left channel center and get rid of the camera's right channel audio.

Also, depending on what program you're using, you could use a denoiser plugin to take out some of that hi end hiss in the audio. It's not terrible, but I think it would make your videos sound quite a bit better if it was fixed. Izotope make RX elements, which is a stripped down version of RX, but I believe it would have what you need. I think it's pretty cheap if you just need it to do a few things. It looks like you can demo it to see if it is worth the cost.

I also wouldn't hate to see some random close ups along the way of of various things, just to break the monotony of a single shot (if you already did this, sorry, I might have missed that part or something)

I hope this helps and keep up the great work!!!

Thank you for the feedback. I use DaVinci Resolve 15 Studio. I really haven't played with Fairlight (the audio editor in Resolve) yet. I use a Sennheiser G3 wireless lav setup which is mono. I will attempt to pan the audio to center on the next video (Episode 11). Episode 10 (uploaded today) was shot with a handheld GoPro 5 Black. I realized after I shot the video that I could have used my DJI Osmo stabilizer instead of just holding it in my hand. I wanted to be able to suction it to the top and side of my sandblasting cabinet. I will look into denoiser plugins for Fairlight. Again, you have my deepest gratitude for your thoughtful response.

I used the default noise reduction setting instead of hum and hiss and I dialed in 1 point of negative pitch. I also wonder if part of my issue is putting my lav inside my shirt, right over my clavicle.

I used the default noise reduction setting instead of hum and hiss and I dialed in 1 point of negative pitch. I also wonder if part of my issue is putting my lav inside my shirt, right over my clavicle.

As far as the noise reduction, I would use as little of it as possible. A quick rule of thumb on a lot of that kind of stuff is to set it where you think it should be and then back off a tad. A little goes a long ways.

Your audio didn't sound that muffled in the videos before ep13. Were you putting the lav in the same place on the other videos too? If so, I would think it's more an issue of the noise reduction plugin. But, if you were micing a different way, I might go back to that and then reduce the noise a little there, since it was sounding pretty good, juts a little noisy.

As far as the noise reduction, I would use as little of it as possible. A quick rule of thumb on a lot of that kind of stuff is to set it where you think it should be and then back off a tad. A little goes a long ways.

Your audio didn't sound that muffled in the videos before ep13. Were you putting the lav in the same place on the other videos too? If so, I would think it's more an issue of the noise reduction plugin. But, if you were micing a different way, I might go back to that and then reduce the noise a little there, since it was sounding pretty good, juts a little noisy.

I attach the mic to the inside of the collar of my shirt with a small safety pin (around the wire) and do not have the foam cover on it because, when I did, the audio sounded scratchy to me. The only difference between 12 and 13 was the settings on the noise reduction, so I will use the same ones as before. Did you notice a difference in the color and tone match of the different angles? In 11 or 12 I started using the grading part of resolve. I hadn't before because I was trying to change the fewest things at a time possible.

A fair number of my viewers have told me that they watch my videos on a cellphone. I edit on a 40" 4K monitor. I can reduce the size of the view (inspection) window in the editor. Do you think it is worth the time to re-screen each cut of the videos on a 5 inch display? I understand that what looks great on the big screen does not always translate to the small screen, but I'm putting out 3 videos a week with everything else I have going on in life. Time is a commodity I can't stretch.

As always, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me improve my work. I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

Back