My Resignation From Film (Sort Of...)

Hey Everyone!

So I like to believe I've been a fairly active and beneficial part of the community the past four years - I've certainly learned an incredible amount from you all, been involved in some superb discussions, and been involved in five or six excellent collaborations. So, firstly - I intend to remain an active participant in the community! But, I've recently decided to forgo my pursuit of a career in film. (Sort of...)

So, this fall I'm going to Columbia College Chicago, one of the better film schools in the country, and I was accepted into the film program and received some nice scholarship money for my portfolio as well. But, I've decided to remove myself from the film program and enter the musical production program.

My realization came when my new roommate, also a film major, sent me an article on different aperture focuses with these new lenses or something of the like. It was ten pages of technical talk on lenses, and I took one look at it before immediately trashing it. I had zero interest in it. I think in life, there are two parts of your career - the great part, and the not so great part. To be happy at that career, you have to be equally as willing and even excited to do both parts of the career, because they create a satisfying whole for you. For film, I always loved being on set and creating films, but dreaded the editing process, color correction, most technical aspects, etc. The not-so-fun part of film doesn't appeal to me at ALL, personally. Of course, some people love it! Look at someone like Alcove, who thrives off of audio. For me, though, I didn't find much love for the technical aspects of film.

Now, if my roommate had sent me a ten page article on microphone placement or acoustics in rooms - I would have loved to have read it. So, the not-so-fun part of music production is still extremely appealing to me, whereas the not-so-fun parts of film don't hold any water for me.

So, the more and more I thought about it, I realized that my musical portfolio was far more expansive, passionate, and meaningful to me than my film portfolio. Furthermore, I didn't want to be involved in the film program and end up in California, as the program entailed. The career paths for me through music production seemed a lot more appealing, more expansive, and something I'm truly passionate about all aspects of, rather than just a few.

Plus, I've learned that I can involve myself heavily with film through music, which you can't do as well the other way around. I've written songs for some of your films, recorded covers for you, and have gotten my music in quite a few independent films over the past year. I'd actually like to major in music production, and minor in film composition, so I can expand my musical portfolio to film scoring. (As some of you here are so excellent at!)

So, I'm still looking forward to being part of indietalk, our discussions, and showcasing my work. I plan to continue to utilize my love for video making for my Youtube channel, I recently passed 1,000 subscribers which was a really big deal for me, so I don't want to forgo that pursuit. Again, though, the video making on the channel only exists through my love of music and music production, where the channel is focused.

So, I'm off to major in music production. Sorry film!

You should do what you love and what you're best at. You're a great musician & seem to have an avid interest in art (esp. music) in general. Best of luck to you with your future endeavors, and I hope you continue to hang around the forum. :)

Now, if my roommate had sent me a ten page article on microphone placement or acoustics in rooms - I would have loved to have read it. So, the not-so-fun part of music production is still extremely appealing to me, whereas the not-so-fun parts of film don't hold any water for me.

What about if that 10 page article on acoustics was essentially all math, say calculating absorption co-coefficients using Sabine's formula, working out RT60s, etc.? I'm not saying you haven't made the right decision, I'm just saying; don't expect all the "not-so-fun parts of music production" to still be "extremely appealing" to you, they won't be!

G

I'll also point out that you don't have to know, or partake in all the 'not so fun' aspects of film-making!

You should follow what you love, but if simply being overwhelmed and bored by lens talk is the single reasoning, I would reconsider!

You don't have to be a Cinematographer, or an Editor, or a Colourist. You can be a Writer, Director etc. - something more to your taste/style.

Also, in every profession there are the boring/'not-so-fun' aspects, be it film, music or whatever.

In the end, it's a very personal decision, and you should do what you find the most desirable. I hope you're still able to contribute to filmmaking in a way that you enjoy :)

What about if that 10 page article on acoustics was essentially all math, say calculating absorption co-coefficients using Sabine's formula, working out RT60s, etc.? I'm not saying you haven't made the right decision, I'm just saying; don't expect all the "not-so-fun parts of music production" to still be "extremely appealing" to you, they won't be!

G

I'd still be much more interested in it, actually. I have a passion for audio and music creation - I don't have as much of a passion for the creation of film, despite an effort to build one over the past few years.

I'll also point out that you don't have to know, or partake in all the 'not so fun' aspects of film-making!

You should follow what you love, but if simply being overwhelmed and bored by lens talk is the single reasoning, I would reconsider!

It wasn't really being overwhelmed by boring technical film talk, it was more of a realization that I didn't have much passion for the filmmaking process in itself and would much rather create music.

I've had a lot of opportunities as of late to use my music in independent films; which is enough of a film fix for my life. So, I'm pretty excited to pursue music!

I've talked with my college and plan to pursue their film composition program as well, which would further my involvement in film through music, which I'm much more passionate about.

One less indie film maker for me to compete against :)
Best of luck with your music career!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6xIF92OUos

And I really want to see this because Once was so good, for one thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRCxOE7Xzc

Yeah, follow your bliss, BF1225. Though that might be easier said than done. Glad that you'll still stick with IT, at least.

The look on Kiera Knightley's face there.... methinks she's spent a little too much time hanging around pirates

You've got the film bug, so you're still in! :lol:

Music is one of the most important parts of filmmaking and would be a stopping point for me if it weren't for folks like you.
As far as instruments I can barely play a radio.

as someone who has never picked up a camera, and never intends to, there's certainly a place around here for music folks! and hell, getting an education in it is a great idea; I wish I had done that! Best of luck and stick around!

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for the overwhelming support; I appreciate it! And you are all very right, there are many ways for me to remain involved in filmmaking through music.

There have been some new developments in my musical career which have been exciting - A large record label in Nashville has expressed interest in getting involved in my music, and I'm working on a really solid live circuit in Chicago, including at the place Buddy Guy owns.

So, it's looking up! I'm very excited to stay involved in film, though, I want to go minor in the film composition program at Columbia, and I've been writing new music for some films here as well, including the community project!

Best,
Brett

Back