• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch my RED ONE short

http://www.vimeo.com/7105005

pas sword is indietalk

We shot this with the RED ONE, with Greg Sabo of Sabostudios shooting and providing the gripology. This is my latest short and I'm taking this on the festival circuit this year, hence the password protection.

Shot in 1 day, posted in Adobe CS4 with the RED plug ins, some minor digital FX work (license plate replacement, etc.) and color corrected in RED's plug in for Premiere Pro.

cinematographer Greg Sabo, written and directed by Peter John Ross

starring Tamara Reynolds, Bryan Michael Block, and Jon Osbeck.

music by Bill Wandel, edited by Brant Jones

Last edited:
Dang, that was great!
smiley_mono.gif

One question:

Why did you go with such cold colours throughout it?

Aside from that just striking me a bit weird; great everything, dude! :cool:

I like a lot of the shots, most are top notch like an episode of something from TV.
And the effects work is tight. Great casting for the female lead as well.

It’s killing me to say it, but I wanted to love the concept, but I can’t lie, I don’t.

I don’t want to sound harsh, but to me its pretty build up with potholes of unfunny dialogue, that seems rushed to a thin and predictable pay off.

When the 3rd character comes along it seems things should go up a notch, but his energy or dialogue free of swearing or something takes a noticeable dramatic nose dive just when it feels it should peak and allow us to be blind sided by the ending.

“Shot in 1 day” seems very telling on screen in this, but for 1 day it’s cool.

It’s dead obvious that when you cross paths with that right script, and have the time to make it, it will come off in a big way.

It’s important that I add that if this were a flash back or mini episode or something, I would see it in a completely different and more favorable light.

-Thanks-

Last edited:
Nice job! Check some of the audio hum in some of the earlier shots. When it switches there a slightly noticeable difference.

One question:

Why did you go with such cold colours throughout it?

In color correction, we did a lot with adding green, not blue. Green being the color of envy and all, it fit texturally I felt. I agreed with the DP/Colorist. The exteriors aren't cold at all. They are warm, so the exteriors are showing the "illusion" of happy and good, the interiors show the truth in the relationships.

I'm cool with criticisms. That's the thing with comedy, especially dark comedy, or pretty much every single movie ever made - some people like it, some people don't. I can't make you like it.

Personally, I like it as is. I feel the dialogue works, and believe it or not, some people don't swear at all even at moments of heightened angst. This is the opening scene of my next feature film. I'm using this to raise the money. 5 pages in 1 shooting day is reasonable and normal. Under any circumstances with this script, I don't see where I would have used more time. We did ample takes and had plenty of coverage and we even had a company move (exteriors and interiors were at 2 different locations miles apart). I don't think the "one day" had any affect on the choices we made and what we created. I like it a lot.

I have played this at 3 screenings to the public (Cowtown Film Series, etc.), and not cast/crew, friends/family either. This movie plays a LOT better in a live screening than it ever will on the internet. The ending does surprise most viewers (obviously not all). I didn't make it for filmmakers. We as filmmakers are more likely to not be losing ourselves to voluntary suspension of disbelief, as we are all like magicians and know the basic tricks of an act.

I appreciate honesty, and all opinions are valid, even if we don't agree.

Last edited:
Learning it resides within something larger completely lets the sun come out on a far greater appreciation of it for me.

As a sequence, it’s great. It's exactly what the gravity of watching it made me want it to be. I regret letting the notion of it being a short get in my way. What I felt as rushed and thin, when placed in the context of an opening, is actually nice momentum and a great on-ramp to the rest of the film.

-Thanks-

Yes! Very well done.

The photography was really nice--camera work, lighting, composition. The sound was great. I thought the actors were awesome. The concept was fun...as well as the ending.

I definitely like this. Great work.

Would love to work with you.

Last edited:
So... this is a movie that has the possibility to get into the big ten? Cool. Congratulations on the finished product. Just a quick question. What did you use to record the audio?

I thought it was self-contained (a complete story with a beginning, middle, end) and the production was good in my unprofessional opinion. The acting I found hit and miss (or maybe the fault lies with direction). Kitchen scene especially. In other places the tone was just right.

The trajectory of the projectile was a bit far-fetched, but, having said that I really like the "art" that is created, which nicely ties into the wife's ambitions and the title. Ironic.

Thanks for sharing. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Swink-

Next time you may want to put spoiler alert before giving away the plot of the movie. But I am sure the criticism is appreciated.

So... this is a movie that has the possibility to get into the big ten? Cool. Congratulations on the finished product. Just a quick question. What did you use to record the audio?

I don't know what you mean by "big ten"...

We used a Marantz digital recorder that creates 96Ktz WAV files on a compact flash card.

I do have to give major props to Bill Wandel, the composer. The music sets the tone perfectly. Without it, I have no movie, or a very confusing one to say the least. Going for the specific types of performances I wanted (and got), the humor gets set up by the score.

Oh. Sorry I was talking about the big ten film festivals. I think I read them as referred to as the "Big Ten", though now I am not sure where I heard that. I meant what kind of Boom mic or wireless lav did you record the audio on? Thanks for the quick reply though.

Oh. Sorry I was talking about the big ten film festivals. I think I read them as referred to as the "Big Ten", though now I am not sure where I heard that. I meant what kind of Boom mic or wireless lav did you record the audio on? Thanks for the quick reply though.

I had both a boom operator and a sound recordist... I was busy directing, so I don't know what mics were used, but we did use both wireless lavs and a boom, then mixed the two in post. I know the Marantz because of the minor issues in post, but they got resolved quickly.

Yes, I have submitted this to 2 of the big ten festivals. SXSW and TRIBECA. I'm hoping to premiere at one or the other, but I may not get into either actually. I haven't submitted to any of the top 20-30 festivals since 2001 when I made a single submission to Sundance. I've stayed in the kiddie pool where, quite frankly, my movies belonged. I think this one has a chance. Then again, who knows?

I just mailed my 50th and 51st film festival submissions today on the way to work. I've also spent less than $200 on fees because I get them waived or the offers from festivals from the past. Also, instead of asking for the fee to waived entirely, offer to pay something, just not the full rate. You'd be amazed at how many $40 entry fees will accept $10 because it's better than free.

I just mailed my 50th and 51st film festival submissions today on the way to work. I've also spent less than $200 on fees because I get them waived or the offers from festivals from the past. Also, instead of asking for the fee to waived entirely, offer to pay something, just not the full rate. You'd be amazed at how many $40 entry fees will accept $10 because it's better than free.[/QUOTE]

Smarttt - I like it!

EDIT- I am wrong.

Actually, I'm kinda bummed you deleted your original criticisms. Even though I disagree, even passionately disagreed, there was no reason to remove them. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and yours is just as valid as mine. I'm just biased because I'm the creator.

You also had some great compliments too, so I'm even more bummed those got deleted as well... :yes:

We as filmmakers, especially on the Internet, have a tendency to always make suggestions or make criticisms when people put their work out to be seen. It's in our nature, as I do it all the time. We have to learn to accept this criticism regardless of how it might hurt our feelings, bruise our egos, and suck to hear. Every film has flaws, and even the greatest films ever made have people who thought they sucked. Get used to it. Does that mean you should change your mind or doubt the decisions you believed in? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. I have had edits I was convinced were perfect and after some consistent criticisms with audiences, I would revisit and make changes. Other times, it's about finding the right audience for the work as you think it should be. I'm pretty secure in this piece as is right now, but part of why I put it out there is to see if it needs tweaked. Right now, what I've seen is mostly preferential opinions, and nothing that would get me to change anything.

Audio is not nearly what it seems on the web-video version. The full DVD's and presentation tapes are substantially cleaner in audio, but the web videos just amp that up a lot.

i generally like the idea. the dialogue was pretty noob tho.. very cliche for the most part. the best element of the whole thing was the camera, other than that i think it was kind of amateur, sorry

Great response Boo.

You'll always get totally contrasting opinions...no matter how 'high quality' a movie is.

Look at Blade Runner...when it came out, there were SO many negative reviews...so many people that hated it.

Now look at it...it is considered to be one of the best sci-movies of all time. It is studied, and copied, and it inspires many filmmakers...

You just never know...timing is another piece of the puzzle.

Sonny,

At any given time I say what I feel in good nature and with respect, try to explain why I feel that way and move on. Never anything personal, always just my opinion. I felt bad about the timing of my 1st post, like I had just sucker punched a fellow creative on opening night. Opinion or not, I didn’t feel good about the way it came off at the time it came off. I don't pull punches of opinion, but my timing was regretable and I apologize for it.
In light of it NOT being a short, but instead an opener, parts of what I felt and expressed were just wrong.

As stated in my 2nd post, this being an opener is a horse of a whole different color compared to a stand alone short as 1st presented. As an opener it’s far greater than not, anyone can see that.

That said, I will put my 1st post back up, no problem.

I admire the confidence you have in your work, as well as the technical prowess with which it’s made, and equally I respect your opinion. I respect it even more because you didn’t neglect the good I found.
In regards to your response to my 1st post I disagree in places, and still stand by some of what things I said at 1st.

Predictable?
I’m not exactly running around solving mysteries if you know what I mean, but as soon as I saw:
Title + Title Image + Title Image Colors + The Set Up = I saw right through it.

However, in the context of an opener (Not a short), I don’t at all mind seeing what I suspected come to pass, it’s a great way to engage the viewer in prep for the rest of a film. It’s exactly what it did, and in that regard it’s a perfect on-ramp to me.

Potholes of unfunny dialogue?
I’m not saying all of the dialogue is bad, I'm not saying ANY of it is bad, but at times it’s just not funny, or just not as funny as it could or should be for a comedy in my opinion. There are miles between a smile and a chuckle, and I just don’t feel they were fully crossed on paper. I am reminded of something I think Ben Stiller said about writing. You need something to build something funnier on, and it’s usually done on the fly. The lines I found as unfunny and/or not as funny as they could have been, seem perfect springboards to try spontaneous takes that might have put the lines over the top.

This goes hand in hand with my next point.

Was it telling on screen to me that it was shot in 1 day?
No. I am 100% wrong by way of how I phrased that. What I should have said is, I just can’t help but feel that given more time, someone would have eventually said “This just isn’t funny to me, can we try a few things with it?.” and something funnier would have been gotten by way of quick rewrite, alternate prepared lines, or panning for spontaneous gold. Is that a practical scenario for a one day shoot? No.

About the 3rd character: I feel you focused on the possibility of lack of swearing instead of the dynamic of the 3rd character as written. It’s only my opinion, but I would have liked the 3rd character (Not the person- The script) to have had more of a dramatic peak to come down from. I feel it would have better blindsided us with the ending. Sure, I believe some people don’t swear in extreme situations. Do I believe in that situation there would be no swearing? Not a chance. The content isn’t exactly rated G, yet no one swears, at all, not even once?

A HUGE plus I failed to mention, and the fact I failed to mention it is testament to it’s favorability in my opinion. The editing! The editing is great! It’s so smooth that I didn’t even notice it.

The bottom line is, I like what you did a lot, but I can’t deny that for the level of overall professionalism and talent employed I feel the script could have and deserved to be just a little better, but don't lose sleep over what I think.

-Thanks-

Last edited:
Back