My new toy!!

Yesterday the last part I needed for my 35mm adapter came!!! I couldn't wait so I filmed some shots right away. I made a little montage of them and I'd love to know what you all think :)

Encinema 35mm Adapter + Canon Vixia HF200
Most shots were with a Minolta 50mm f/2 lens. And I think just one is the Minolta 28mm f/2.8 lens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuLfZ4BRuhI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuLfZ4BRuhI
(HD should be processed soon :D)

I didn't use any extra lighting besides the daylight and a lamp in a couple shots. Only a few shots have color correction and then it was just some brightness contrast adjustments :)

Wish I could take care of the camera shake but I think I may just need a decent tripod, or perhaps just having a rail support system would help. I was thinking about seeing if I can figure out the AE motion fixing tool, but I just wanted to get this up fast :D. (Or maybe I should stop drinking ;) )

Overall I'm really happy with the look and am SUPER excited to see what else I can do with this.

Dang it!

I need to seriously stop reading this board during lunch..

thats ANOTHER keyboard down form nasally expelled diet coke.

But on a serious note. NO WAY MAN. I have 4 cats, some real killers too, and they just sit and watch the birdies go by.. Ill try and get some footage of the cats sitting RIGHT next to the feeder.. its really rather sad..

Thanks

I mean, you seem like a perfectionist so I understand why you just want to get a Jag or Redrock, but in the right hands this little encinema dealie can look real good. Just imagine if I actually lit those shots well....

The only reason I would switch to a nicer one at this point would be for the extra image flip to make it normal again. I'm not bothered by the little bit of grainy-ness from the fact that it's a static.

Sorry, Dreddy, if I have offended.
opinions are like.. well you know the rest :D And I got one!

Im totally with you on the grain, I like the look. As for the FLIP module, I was really hot on that for a while, but upon further consideration.. with an external monitor which I need for focus ANYWAY (even without an adapter), Ill just flip that upside down and I'm good to go. Ill probably pick up a JAG35 or something as inexpensive. I REALLY want an adapter but im TRYING to put it off until this winter.. but.. ..

FYI the JAGST setups are about the same price for your unit.. so they are comparable, now redrock, that different.

Keep the images coming, you have a great eye.

Sorry, Dreddy, if I have offended.
opinions are like.. well you know the rest :D And I got one!

Im totally with you on the grain, I like the look. As for the FLIP module, I was really hot on that for a while, but upon further consideration.. with an external monitor which I need for focus ANYWAY (even without an adapter), Ill just flip that upside down and I'm good to go. Ill probably pick up a JAG35 or something as inexpensive. I REALLY want an adapter but im TRYING to put it off until this winter.. but.. ..

FYI the JAGST setups are about the same price for your unit.. so they are comparable, now redrock, that different.

Keep the images coming, you have a great eye.

:blush: Gee thanks.

I'm gonna make a little before/after shoot for fun and I'll post that up along with a pic of the rig :D

Sorry again, wheat.

What exactly does this adapter do to the lens? It makes it softer or blurier so it looks more like film?

(warning, off-topic comment coming up: )

Wheat, did you ever see the post I made specifically to make you laugh? About the song copyrights?

What exactly does this adapter do to the lens? It makes it softer or blurier so it looks more like film?

An adapter basically allows one to use 35mm photographic lenses on a digital or video camera in order to give it more of a film look. The big thing people talk about with the adapters is getting a shallow DOF, which video cannot easily do, and can't do as well. A standard video/digital shot has everything evenly in focus which makes things seem flat and makes it hard to draw the focus of the viewer where you want. pun intended.

The adapter itself is pretty much just a focusing screen (usually ground glass, hence the grainyness unless you get a vibrating one) for the lens to project on, you then focus the camera on the screen in the adapter.

Sorry again, wheat.

(warning, off-topic comment coming up: )

Wheat, did you ever see the post I made specifically to make you laugh? About the song copyrights?

I did, and mission accomplished!

Now back on topic or die!

Solly blong massah!

Do such adapters exist for little sony point+shoot cameras?

As far as I can tell you can get them for any kind of camera. I think it's just a matter of getting the right ring and thread size. When you order one they should ask what kind of camera you have and design it accordingly.

I found the guy who runs the encinema site to be very helpful and quick to respond when I emailed him some questions. If you want to know for sure if it can be made to fit on your camera, he should know or be able to find out for you :)

As far as I can tell you can get them for any kind of camera. I think it's just a matter of getting the right ring and thread size. When you order one they should ask what kind of camera you have and design it accordingly.

I found the guy who runs the encinema site to be very helpful and quick to respond when I emailed him some questions. If you want to know for sure if it can be made to fit on your camera, he should know or be able to find out for you :)

Someone mentioned (Wheatgrinder? Someone else) that one can make wax rings and essentially(if I understood them) "screw" the adapter onto another camera.

One of these threads has a guy with a MONSTER adapter and lens-the thing was bigger than the camera! I have to find that thread now...

Well I ran out of time rendering my before and after before work shoot so that'll have to wait until tonight to go up. Which is kinda good because in my haste I didn't add music and I want you guys to enjoy watching this.

But I'm posting anyway because I do have a couple of (poor quality lol) pictures of the rig with my 50mm lens on it. Here they are, in all their over and underexposed glory:

http://sammigirl.com/images/100_1524.JPG

http://sammigirl.com/images/100_1523.JPG

Hopefully those images aren't too big...

EDIT: yes they were too big so I made them just links instead :)

Last edited:
Well I ran out of time rendering my before and after before work shoot so that'll have to wait until tonight to go up. Which is kinda good because in my haste I didn't add music and I want you guys to enjoy watching this.

But I'm posting anyway because I do have a couple of (poor quality lol) pictures of the rig with my 50mm lens on it. Here they are, in all their over and underexposed glory:

http://sammigirl.com/images/100_1524.JPG

http://sammigirl.com/images/100_1523.JPG

Hopefully those images aren't too big...

EDIT: yes they were too big so I made them just links instead :)

I was in a pawn shop today and saw some nice 35 mm adapters...mmmmm....wondering what suck---er fellow indietalker could be conn--er convinced in floating me alone (which is different from floating me down the river, just to be CLEAR.....:D)

Nice images-sigh.....I've already commited to a mic for next month ( I allow myself one piece of film related equipment per month....maybe June...)

I like how it's the same size as your camera - I want one.

Alcove, can you imagine an invention like that to make a new USB mic sound like an old ribbon mic with a big huge adapter you put over it?

Ah I see what you did now, cool idea that worked out well.

Slightly hijacking her thread for a Q: :lol:

Any links of places on the net, where I can find a way to slap a 35 mm to my Canon 930? (Supposedly there's a way to do it involving wax?) I found a BUNCH of 35mm for sale at the local pawnshop-could I use any of them theoretically with my camera.

See Dreadylocks? You go and get us all excited, and now we're going to go hungry so we can go get adapters....we demand restitution! You owe us all a dinner out! :lol:

Any links of places on the net, where I can find a way to slap a 35 mm to my Canon 930? (Supposedly there's a way to do it involving wax?)

Wax? Huh? :hmm: Do you remember where you heard that and how it was supposed to work? I just can't picture anything....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivErUHl-Yo

That's a DIY version of the adapter. I considered making my own but honestly the price difference wasn't enough for me to find it worthwhile.

It was a casual thing as far as the wax. The impression I got was that, depending on the lens, effectively you could stick the lens ring into the wax and "screw" the lens into the grooves for the camera(I'd have to see if I could find it).

So I'm clear on lenses and adapters(and this is for anyone): Essentially I can buy an adapter for my camera, which in turn would screw in the grooves, and then attach the lens into the adapter attached to the camera?

Have to see about the wax one, where I heard of it.

AHA! Right here...., just after my question about lenses and adapters, Mr. Wheatgrinder (come on down!) brought it up...

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=22520&highlight=lens+adapters

It was a casual thing as far as the wax. The impression I got was that, depending on the lens, effectively you could stick the lens ring into the wax and "screw" the lens into the grooves for the camera(I'd have to see if I could find it).

So I'm clear on lenses and adapters(and this is for anyone): Essentially I can buy an adapter for my camera, which in turn would screw in the grooves, and then attach the lens into the adapter attached to the camera?

Have to see about the wax one, where I heard of it.

AHA! Right here...., just after my question about lenses and adapters, Mr. Wheatgrinder (come on down!) brought it up...

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=22520&highlight=lens+adapters

No, using wax to screw a lens on your camera is not going to work (and might ruin your camera, wax is a mess).

The key to what makes a 35mm adapter work is the focusing screen. The focusing screen is what the image from the lens is projected on, and also what you then focus your camera to. Think of it like videotaping the screen in a movie theater.

What wheat mentioned in the other thread was using a piece of wax paper as a cheap focusing screen (you will still need to buy a series of rings to mount the screen to and also to attach everything together, buy they are really cheap on ebay). This might be worth a try, but it most likely will look pretty bad, especially if you don't get it completely smooth and perfect.

Check out that youtube link from my previous post, it will help you understand how they work and if it seems like something you are capable of doing yourself :)

No, using wax to screw a lens on your camera is not going to work (and might ruin your camera, wax is a mess).

The key to what makes a 35mm adapter work is the focusing screen. The focusing screen is what the image from the lens is projected on, and also what you then focus your camera to. Think of it like videotaping the screen in a movie theater.

What wheat mentioned in the other thread was using a piece of wax paper as a cheap focusing screen (you will still need to buy a series of rings to mount the screen to and also to attach everything together, buy they are really cheap on ebay). This might be worth a try, but it most likely will look pretty bad, especially if you don't get it completely smooth and perfect.

Check out that youtube link from my previous post, it will help you understand how they work and if it seems like something you are capable of doing yourself :)

:blush:

About the Wax.....

I'll check it again-I sometimes jump before I look-I also opened a thead in the newbie forum just to get more info.

Thanks Dready-and thanks for not making fun of me :)

And Wheat is going to be hunting me down now.......I'll have to beg his forgiveness ;)

Okay, so I guess the part I'm confused on-where do I get a PVC (or equalvilent) tube to screw into the housing of my camera? Everything else I get-it's the "connector" between the lens and rings and camera? That's where I'm getting confused....

Last edited:
Got the before and after shoot done and it's up on the tube (HD still processing).

Again only the adapter shots were adjusted by brightness and contrast.

I had to decide for comparison whether to try and mimic the shot I got with the adapter or to simply take off the adapter leaving the camera as is for the comparison shot. I decided to go with the latter for a more accurate comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6pFye0yuZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6pFye0yuZ8

Last edited:
Back