• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

My new shortfilm: I give to you

Hi, this is the latest shortfilm i made

It's almost finalized, but i am still polizing the edit. I know there is still a bit work on the audio.

I was curious to your reactions. Because i didnt export my final version yet, i still have the opportunity to change some things.

Thank you

Last edited:
Upvote 1
A personal reaction, probably, I want to note, uneducated--my credentials are only as someone who has watched a lot of stuff, and not as anyone with any real expertise in, or even knowledge about, independent filmmaking.

So first. I was initially a little impatient at the lingering in the fist shot, in spite of the inherent interest of a pretty girl her underware. Impatience is not a criticism--some, I think, is a prerequisite for suspense, and maybe even for interest.

My next impression was that I feared this might become, for me, uninteresting. Young people wrestling with self-contempt, with their inner psyches, is not my favorite genre. It can easily seem a little self-obsessed, even sophomoric, maybe even, a little, repellant. Because I do this kind of stuff--self-analysis, self-castigation--by myself, to myself, all the freaking time. And so, understandably, I get a little sick of it.

But this didn't last long. I was drawn in. This was going to be something more.

Which brings my to me third impression--your actress. To call her "a pretty girl," I soon thought, was inadequate, was an understatement. Interested, after the first viewing, I looked up Maritsa van Etserson, seeing that she was a 2021 Miss Belgium finalist, and had appeared in a long-running Belgian cop show--Echte Verhalen: De Buurtpolitie (Real Stories: The Neighborhood Police)--as well as in your short, The Last Day. (Is there any place to watch this?)

Anyway, The multiple Maritsas--underware, white T-shirt, black dress--debating, demeaning, defending, very quickly become not tiresome, but mesmerizing. The work, here, between actress and director, just works. I started to care about her, and was pleased that there was a little turn, from self-contempt towards some kind of self-redemption. I was relieved, happy, when she inhabited herself and was able to get out of the tub, in the (I don't want to use the word) S-word scene. The blending, in this scene, was beautiful and moving.

And the final, I guess fourth, unifying Maritsa, at the end, in that cheerful modest colorful blouse, was a kind of resolution that I felt, even if I didn't immediately comprehend it in its totality. Which is good. I want to watch it again.

And the song, the refrain:

Here's a lullaby to close your eyes.
It was always you that I despised.
I don't feel enough for you to cry,
Here's a lullaby to close your eyes.

as it creeps in, and back in, resonates, is affecting. It's pretty, melodious. "Haunting" seems cliched, but something like that. I guess just this: in words, in music, in performance: I liked it a lot.

The only thing that I thought might be worth re-considering is the Mother lines. I assumed Mother was real, not metaphorical, and if so, I'm not sure I needed an explicit reason for Maritsa's mental/emotional state. Not sure I needed, specifically, the line: "Mother she was a bitch." Maybe I'm wrong, but since you still might give this another pass, it might be something to think about. I'm not sure if it fits the intense and unified tone of the whole film.

A final comment on Maritsa van Etserson. I got a feeling, like I got with, say, Scarlett Johansson in Lost in Translation, of something like: this woman has it. It being star-power. And this is a testament to both actor and director.

Last edited:
Hi Spike,
I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for taking the time to share your detailed thoughts on my short film. Your insightful feedback means a lot to me and I truly appreciate your openness in sharing your impressions.
Your observations about the film's pacing, character development, and the performance of Maritsa were particularly heartening to read. I'm thrilled to know that the storytelling and the collaboration between the actress and me as the director resonated with you. Your mention of the music and its impact on the emotional resonance of the film also makes me happy because this was a big intent.
Your suggestions for reconsidering certain aspects, especially the "Mother" lines, have given me valuable food for thought. I kinda agree with that. Although for some people the story is still a bit difficult to get (even though the base story line is quite simple actually) and therefore maybe it was not bad for being very clear and direct here. But I will test out without the mother line. Because yeah, it’s already very clear in the song. But there was something powerful I thought to really hear her say it herself. I will tryout.

Thank you once again for your thoughtful and constructive feedback. It's truly motivating to receive such detailed responses from someone who clearly has a keen eye for storytelling and filmmaking. If you have any further thoughts or insights in the future, I would be more than happy to hear them.

Yes if you like to see ‘The last day’. Here is a private link:

Wishing you all the best and looking forward to sharing more of my work with you in the future.

Warm regards,
Joachim

But I will test out without the mother line. Because yeah, it’s already very clear in the song. But there was something powerful I thought to really hear her say it herself. I will tryout.

Yup. It's a judgement call and I'm sure not an easy one: a little ambiguity is, I think, fine, but you don't wan't to lose anyone with too much. So yea, I think testing it out a few ways, and getting a little feedback from your crew and peers, is a good idea. As I said, this was just an impression, a small one, and one that I could easily change.

Because I am sure I will watch this more times. Because . . . It just gets me. Nice work!

(and thanks for the link :) )

Last edited:
the beginning mirror shot, i'm curious if it might be more powerful if you reversed it - did you try that?

Instead of the mirror starting out with her clothed and switching to bra, start out with the mirror showing her in the bra, and then switch to the clothed one taunting her. I'm guessing it would work better that way but the only way to know for sure would to be try it out.

Personally I would also really speed up the beginning, and I think the shots got a little too static at the end. Just the side by side of the actress, it would benefit a lot with some extreme close up or maybe even some b-roll during that conversation.

I also thought it was strange when the twin version of her started singing her voice wasn't atered anymore. Suddenly she sounded like the other girl, it was a bit jarring.

Last edited:
I also thought it was strange when the twin version of her started singing her voice wasn't atered anymore. Suddenly she sounded like the other girl, it was a bit jarring.
But, Sean, when they harmonized. Maybe I'm just in a mood, tonight, but this got to me.

Back